• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Varmit Round

bbsj

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2009
Bossier City, LA
Any ideas on what cal. to get for varmits, yotes, bobcats, etc, but big enough for backup deer gun. I am looking for very accurate cal. up to 300-400 yards for varmits only maybe 200 or deer. Looking at 223, 243WSM, 25WSM, 243, 25-06 and 22-250 any thoughts.

Thanks

Re: Varmit Round

I will ditto JasonK

243 or even better yet 243ai its a great lil killing round for a handy gun

If you want better barrel life and stick with the 6mm pills you can go 6x45 (6mm-223).

I just finished a rebarrel from 204 to the 6x45. With 60 Vmax it's well north of 3100 fps and hits with serious authority for varmints. I have shot the 100 BTSP hornady's around 2700 and that'd make a pretty solid 200y deer round.

The 243 is a dynamite round though, if you ever decide to go for longer range and heavy bullets it holds enough powder to get you a LONG way out there.

85 TSXs in the 243 performs VERY WELL on deer. I shoot crows all the time out to 400 with the same rifle.

243 without a doubt..brass is readily avaliable, plenty of .308 actions to build from, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chris112</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6mm Remington. </div></div>

The 6mmRem is a bad ass,Ive had many and loved them, but it is a bastard sized case. Too long for a S/A 700, but seemingly a waste in a L/A. I at one time had 3 6mmREMs on hand, but since re-barreled/ re-tooled to 243WIN for the sole reason of S/A compatability. It has proven to be a good move.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bbsj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any ideas on what cal. to get for varmits, yotes, bobcats, etc, but big enough for backup deer gun. I am looking for very accurate cal. up to 300-400 yards for varmits only maybe 200 or deer. Looking at 223, 243WSM, 25WSM, 243, 25-06 and 22-250 any thoughts.

Thanks </div></div>

BB,

Just got a 700P in 6.8 SPC recently and finally got her rigged out. Out of those you listed, I am a big fan of the .25/06. Carried one for years for varmits and deer, helluva round and a true dual purpose cartridge.

.243 was made for this, run the 85Vmax or 85 TSX based on the terminal ballistics desired.

Another one for the 243. Mild recoiling, versatile to load for from 55 gr. BT's to 115 Dtac. I just made my first 500 yds kill on a groundhog with my SPS varmint and anchored him right there in one shot. My rifle likes the 70NBT's for varmints and 100 gr. CoreLokt's for deer out of the factory tube. If you go with 95gr. SST's or 95 gr. hunting VLD's you could probably go with one loading for all types of game.

I'm a big fan of a 25-06 but alot of people shy away from long actions. In that case a 243 is the way to go. Buddy has a 257 roberts that he uses for everything. Its quickly gaining my respect as a good all around cartridge. Might look into a 257 as well?

If you want what i think is the best varmint round i would look a t the 243 Catbird. It is NOT FOR TARGET SHOOTING. But as far as hunting it is great. Barrel life is super short only around 800 rounds but 800 is a lot of varmints. With a Catbird and the right barrel you can push a 55gr 6mm bullet around 4700fps or a 70 at 4500. they will totaly destroy what ever they hit. As far as shooting deer i have never had one run when being hit and no exit either. But the entrance wound is big and bad

Varmint round with deer as back. (varmint- all would be a yes, but deer causing the no's)
223- no
243WSM- yes
25WSM- yes
243- hell yes!
25-06- sure!
22-250- maybe (with a premium bonded/solid (like TSX) bullet)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Varmint round with deer as back. (varmint- all would be a yes, but deer causing the no's)
223- no
243WSM- yes
25WSM- yes
243- hell yes!
25-06- sure!
22-250- maybe (with a premium bonded/solid (like TSX) bullet)</div></div>

25-06 hell yes as well, I love this round for deer, bobcat, coyote, anelope. I am shooting 100gr nossler at 3250 these things are smoking fast and flat

+1 on the 243 or 25-06. I'm running a 25-284 on a SA700 and it is basically a 25-06 on a short action. 75gr V-max's make 3650fps and 100gr bullets do 3300 or so.

I'm going with an ar-15 in 243 wssm w/10" twist. Probably go with 87 vmax for yotes and 85 partitions for deer.

6BR or 6BRX. Can take varmints out past 600 (I have done it) and deer to about 400. Accuracy is excellent as is barrel life and is very fun and cheap to shoot.

-X3M

6 BR, 6BRX, 6 Dasher (6 Br blown out). Make sure to get a fast twist barrel 1 in 7.5 or 1 in 8. Can shoot 108 Berger's for everything or use the 105 Amax, 107 SMK and 105 Lapua. 3000+ fps and a target shooter to boot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know what a 6BR is but, what is 6BRX?

Jerry </div></div>

6BRX is a 6BR with the shoulder moved forward 100 thousands. Can use the same dies as the regular 6BR but you get about 120 feet per second faster with the same bullet. I can get 2900 with a 24" barrel 1:8 and 105 Berger VLD using varget. Accuracy is about 1/4" MOA.

-X3M

+ 1 on the 25/06 85 gr Ballastic Tip Varmints 115 gr Ballastic Tip deer Shoots Flat Hits Hard

Another vote for the .257's. Load from 85 gr to 120 gr equals good medicine for varmits to deer out to the ranges you mentioned. The 25-06 then the .257 Roberts. JMHO.

I plan on getting a 243 for my son. Then let him try his best to shoot up the barrel. Then when done, move up to a custom AI.

Should have tons of brass by then.

22-250 with a Krieger 1in8 twist barrel to shoot the 75 grain A-Max bullet. Much superior varmint round than any of the lightweight 243 bullets(apples to apples). This can also double as a deer rifle. Although IMO the lighter cartridges(below 6.5 mm) are not good choices for deer cartridges. The 243 with a 100 grain bullet might be a slightly better deer cartridge(still unacceptable to me) than the 75 A-Max in the 22-250. But the 75 grain A-Max in the 22-250 is a superior varmint round over the 75 grain 243 bullet. Tom.

IMO, a 223rem is more than enough for deer. So, IMO any of the chamberings you mentioned would be good for your purpose. I would lean towards the 223 or 22-250, 243 if you plan to shoot long range down the road. just my .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">22-250 with a Krieger 1in8 twist barrel to shoot the 75 grain A-Max bullet. Much superior varmint round than any of the lightweight 243 bullets(apples to apples). This can also double as a deer rifle. Although IMO the lighter cartridges(below 6.5 mm) are not good choices for deer cartridges. The 243 with a 100 grain bullet might be a slightly better deer cartridge(still unacceptable to me) than the 75 A-Max in the 22-250. But the 75 grain A-Max in the 22-250 is a superior varmint round over the 75 grain 243 bullet. Tom. </div></div>

A 243 with 105 will beat the 22-250 in every aspect, plus it's more than adequate for deer, "10 grains in the right place is worth more than 100 in the wrong place", so it's all about shot placement.

-X3M

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X3M Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">22-250 with a Krieger 1in8 twist barrel to shoot the 75 grain A-Max bullet. Much superior varmint round than any of the lightweight 243 bullets(apples to apples). This can also double as a deer rifle. Although IMO the lighter cartridges(below 6.5 mm) are not good choices for deer cartridges. The 243 with a 100 grain bullet might be a slightly better deer cartridge(still unacceptable to me) than the 75 A-Max in the 22-250. But the 75 grain A-Max in the 22-250 is a superior varmint round over the 75 grain 243 bullet. Tom. </div></div>

A 243 with 105 will beat the 22-250 in every aspect, plus it's more than adequate for deer, "10 grains in the right place is worth more than 100 in the wrong place", so it's all about shot placement.

-X3M </div></div>

Do you not bother to read a post before you make a comment about it. I clearly said the larger bullet in the 243 was better than the 22-250 for deer. And I clearly said an apple to apples comparison in the 75 grain bullet-the 22-250 has the edge?? So what are you talking about?? Shot placement was not even discussed?? The author clearly said it would mostly be used as a varmint round, with some back up duty as a deer rifle. Last time I checked the 22-250 out sold the 243 for a varmint round by an astronomical percentage. And the 105 grain 243 bullet at 2900 fps is not the average varmint round. Tom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X3M Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">22-250 with a Krieger 1in8 twist barrel to shoot the 75 grain A-Max bullet. Much superior varmint round than any of the lightweight 243 bullets(apples to apples). This can also double as a deer rifle. Although IMO the lighter cartridges(below 6.5 mm) are not good choices for deer cartridges. The 243 with a 100 grain bullet might be a slightly better deer cartridge(still unacceptable to me) than the 75 A-Max in the 22-250. But the 75 grain A-Max in the 22-250 is a superior varmint round over the 75 grain 243 bullet. Tom. </div></div>

-X3M </div></div>

Do you not bother to read a post before you make a comment about it. I clearly said the larger bullet in the 243 was better than the 22-250 for deer. And I clearly said an apple to apples comparison in the 75 grain bullet-the 22-250 has the edge?? So what are you talking about?? Shot placement was not even discussed?? The author clearly said it would mostly be used as a varmint round, with some back up duty as a deer rifle. Last time I checked the 22-250 out sold the 243 for a varmint round by an astronomical percentage. And the 105 grain 243 bullet at 2900 fps is not the average varmint round. Tom. </div></div>

You can get more than 2900 fps. with a 243! Do you not bother to check your facts before you make a post?

-X3M

Did anyone ask bbsj the question regarding to having to buy the ammo off the shelf or does he reload? I think that would be a game changer if he doesn't do his own loading.