• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vector Arms, a visit to the factory

coldboremiracle

Freelance Sharpshooter
Minuteman
  • Jul 7, 2009
    Utah, north
    www.coldboremiracle.com
    First of all, I was wondering if anyone here has bought a Vector rifle/pistol ect. and what their opinion of them is. I have often toyed with the idea but never pulled the trigger so to speak. Then I noticed that they went under, or at least stopped production. Well, I happen to work right next door to their production facility, and lately have seen alot of actcivity. I was wondering if they are rebooting, and if so, what can be expected?

Re: Vector Arms?

Since you work close, why dont you wonder over at lunch and chat?

I believe they went under for some shady shit involving selling munitions to the DOD under a contract. They said they bought it from a eastbloc country, but it really originated from china.
    (bad juju, since if we went to war with them, our stockpiles could be tainted with defective rounds ie; 556 loaded with pistol powder, arty designed to det inside the tube, ect)

I owned a Vector V51? The pistol version. I didn't have any problem with it. Sold to fund my AI addiction.

yes the previous owner got into some hot water. for those who don't know, vector arms specialized mainly in AK's built from demilled kits, although I think they did some uzi's (hk's?) clones. i have owned one of their late production ak's, and definitely superior to Century Arms (avoid them). function assembly was fine, but it was toward the end when quality demilled kit parts (i.e., like polish kits - excellent) starting to become more scarce. If you are thinking about an AK, I'd bypass them and get a Romy demilled kit and reciever from 74LLC david riggs [email protected] and let him do the build. you will get a much better job.

That's a receiver he did for me with authentic russian engraving/markings for I think $190 (standard NDS receiver is about $85). It's going on a russian AKM clone I'm having built from a Romy kit.

Afghans clean these in diesel fuel and abuse them to no end and you can still pick one up and ding steel at 300 with irons - it's a true assault rifle and you could run over with an 18 wheeler and it would still work ..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since you work close, why dont you wonder over at lunch and chat?
    </div></div>
    I think I may do just that!!!

I was thinking of getting one of their hk clone pistols, does anyone have experience with them?

I bought a few of their HK clones for sear hosts, they ran fine full and semi

Whoever was building their HK 9mm type guns around the time they got into trouble is an idiot. A complete moron. I've got his name in my notes but it's not worth looking up.

The upside was you could buy one of the guns they sold as a pistol and send it back to be factory registered as a SBR for the cost of a butt stock. No extra engraving.

The downside was if it didn't run right to begin with there was literally no telling what that tard I talked about might do to it when you sent it back. Like possibly install a .40 bolt hold open in a 9mm gun....

The only Vector I own is their RPD. Great gun never had any sort of problem Well made excellent fit and finish.

I owned one of their Mini Uzi's. Biggest hunk of crap ever made! They were taking full size Uzi's chopping the frame and trying to reweld them in correct position. I had a brand new one that would neither cycle or rack a round into the chamber. Their reply was send it back to us we will get around to fixing it in a month or two. With customer service like that they need to be out of business. They said they already knew of the problem, the barrels didn't line up with the bolts from welding heat distortion.

Okay, I did it. I waltzed right in there today and announced my honest intentions. (A curious gun owner looking for more info about their products)
    I was buzzed in the front door, By an older man who said his name was Ralph and that he was the owner of the company. I can only asume that he is the same Ralph Merril that I've read about in the news stories here . He seemed like a very nice guy, and was very helpful with all of my questions. He told me that they do give tours, and promtly took me straight back into the production area of the building. I was surprised at the small area of manufacturing in such a large building, apparently most of it is used for storage of parts.
    My first question was about the lack of activity I had seen over the last year,(no cars in the parking lot, no test firing of guns,ect.) I asked him if they were still making guns. To which he quickly answered yes, that they were making quite a few.
    I stopped by on my way home from work, around 16:30, so it seems like most employees had left for the day, however two gentleman remained, one putting together v-51 pistols, and the other a 16 inch parkerized uzi. As Ralph walked me around the place, he showed me the "HK area" the "Uzi area" and the "AK area", like I mentioned before all three of these areas were smaller than expected. The AK area was actually being used to assemble more HK style weapons, as Ralph informed me that they were slightly ahead on their AK production and behind with the HK's. I was astonished at the number of parts laying everywhere I looked, Hk recievers, Ak barrels, uzi trunions, just stacks of them, in boxes, buckets and barrels. I was a bit unimpressed with the look of the components, that was until Ralph put one of his finished MP5's in my hand. As we walked into the QC area/gunrack he let me look over and handle several different models. That was when the conversation was struck up about why all the pistols?
    I never thought I would have much use for a .223 or .308 pistol (yet) so I was a bit interested in why almost everything in the QC rack was a pistol and not a carbine or SBR. I dont recall exactly how the conversation went, but my impression was this: if you sell a guy an SBR, it is harder for him to go through all the paperwork and transfers ect. but if you sell him a pistol, it is easy. and then he can file for the tax stamp on his own time while he gets to know his new gun. At that point in time he can simply add the buttstock.
    Never the less they had several carbine length guns as well, which could also be altered I guess, by removing the "excess" barrel once the legal wad had been blown.
    We continued our walk around the shop looking at various parts in differing stages of assembly, again Ralph handed me a good looking weapon, a two tone stainless Uzi with black furniture and a folding buttstock. I was amazed at how all these parts, some of which looked like scrap metal in buckets, had been turned into such handsome firearms. I cannot say of course whether or not they perform well, but I would like a chance to try one out. One of the builders test fired an MP5 style pistol as we spoke, and it made me want to try one even more!
    Well, I'm definately more curious now about the quality and function of these guns, I wouldn't mind having a couple in my collection, <span style="color: red"> IF </span> they work as well as I hope. So please, any of you owner out there, keep the info coming. And thanks to those of you who have contributed already.
    grin.gif

I had a FA Uzi by them.
    Ran like a top, well put together and good CS
    Been a few years now of course......... fwiw

Interesting. I wouldnt mind picking up a krinkov 5.45 pistol, and registering it as a SBR, so i could throw a stock on. I might have to mosey on down their and have a chat for myself

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whoever was building their HK 9mm type guns around the time they got into trouble is an idiot. A complete moron. I've got his name in my notes but it's not worth looking up. </div></div>

That would be Todd baily of special weapons, or chohari arms, or bobcat, or any of the 10 other company names he used.

I was formally employed at a shop that made a bunch of parts for vector we made the barrels and other parts like bolt heads and locking prieces. Good product and good quality parts they were willing to spend the extra money for good parts machined from billet instead of using Todd Baily's cast junk

I have a V93 (HK93) clone, and a full size Uzi. The Uzi had a feeding problem when I first got it (right after the AWB expired), Vector took care of it. Both run fine. My Dad bought one of the RPDs, and has'nt had any problems with it either. I'd take the Vector stuff over the CAI stuff any day.

I have a Uzi, its a very nice machine, heavy duty thats for sure and the parts look excellent, not a HK mind you, but certainly WAY beyond a special Weapons or a saiga.

I also had a mini Uzi, but it was too heavy for me to shoot well. Vector arms is very easy to work with. Call them, tell them what you want, send the cash or give them your credit card and bingo, the b gun arrives like clockwork. He even made my Uzi Cali legal so I could get it shipped in. Nice company.

Let's hope he beats the rap unless of course he was truly guilty. Even then...the ammo was for the afgan military, not us forces, and they trade the stuff off for opium to the taliban so if the chinese did adulterate the mix it ain't going to hurt any americans.

I own older 51 pistol version that I use as a F/A sear host. Runs 100% <span style="text-decoration: underline">IF </span> I use Vector's proprietary butt stock.

If you find yourself over there again, would you mind inquiring about a 10mm MP5? SBR is fine too as I will be an 03 SOT in a month or so...

You bet PX, I'll ask him about it.But I think I already found the answer to your question.He told me that oddball guns are more expensive because they have to buy a parts gun in that caliber, thing that's hard to come by.
    I also remembered a funny/ironic thing that happened while Ralph gave me the tour; his cell phone rang, he said"its my lawyer, this may take a while." But luckily it didn't and we continued on the tour.

What a bummer for him. Here we have a guy who is turning out good quality vintage guns and his closing shop would be a real loss to the gun community.

I have a AK74 made by Vector and have had zero problems with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downrange1x</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I owned one of their Mini Uzi's. Biggest hunk of crap ever made! They were taking full size Uzi's chopping the frame and trying to reweld them in correct position. I had a brand new one that would neither cycle or rack a round into the chamber. Their reply was send it back to us we will get around to fixing it in a month or two. With customer service like that they need to be out of business. They said they already knew of the problem, the barrels didn't line up with the bolts from welding heat distortion. </div></div>

I have many of their UZIs and many IMI IZUs. The reputation of their UZIs is outstanding. The NFA community generally regards their factory full auto UZIs as better than a converted IMI UZI.

Funny that when I called them to ask about the HK series weapons, they said they sold that division off, but the new owners happened to be located next door to the Vector business. Sounds like they split up Vector into sub-companies all operating under the same roof--maybe for liability reasons or something?

Maybe they split off because HK is pretty serious about copyright and trademark issues and has filed suit and won cases. That alone would throw a wet blanket on making a HK clone

I have a couple of the early Vector Polish underfolders. Quality builds and really nice looking as far as fit and finish and just like most AK's I cant hit shit with em but I'm gonna keep em!