• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vector or impact. Opinion for 2 gun builds.

BenAshcraft21

Private
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2018
Butler, PA
Sorry if this is confusing. I’m starting 2 projects at the same time. 6.5 PRC and a .223 (or 300blk). I’m going to order an Impact and a Curtis Vector. I’m just not sure which one should be which. I realize I probably couldn’t go wrong either way but I wanted someone else’s opinion. Pros and cons of either action with either caliber. Thanks!

Surprised your not just doing both barrels on the vector.... thought that was the big draw was only needing an Allen key to switch the barrels.

If I’m doing the 223 on the vector it will also be a 300 blk. But impact also has profit barrels that you can just about do the same thing with. So I don’t see much of a difference. Obviously I can’t do the prc and a 223 on the same action because of the bolt face

You can buy the proper (extra) bolts for either action though and still be money ahead over a whole other action, unless you want both rifles rigged up and ready to use at the same time (which isn't a bad way to go)....then just build yourself 2 rifles.

If I’m doing the 223 on the vector it will also be a 300 blk. But impact also has profit barrels that you can just about do the same thing with. So I don’t see much of a difference. Obviously I can’t do the prc and a 223 on the same action because of the bolt face

I never thought of that. Good idea but my mind is set on having both actions. I own a defiance action and I would really like to see what other custom actions are like.

If you’re going to use AICS pattern mags, I’d suggest a Curtis Axiom over the vector.

Vector is cut for aw and unless your stock or chassis has a way of restricting how far up the magazine can fit, when upward pressure is exerted an AICS mag will go too far into the vector. The feed lips will block the bolt from cycling.

Reactions: Precisiondada
If you’re going to use AICS pattern mags, I’d suggest a Curtis Axiom over the vector.

Vector is cut for aw and unless your stock or chassis has a way of restricting how far up the magazine can fit, when upward pressure is exerted an AICS mag will go too far into the vector. The feed lips will block the bolt from cycling.
So you would choose the axiom over the vector in general? Or for a particular round?

So you would choose the axiom over the vector in general? Or for a particular round?

I’d choose the vector if using aw mags and the axiom if using aics. I wouldn’t base decision on a particular round except if the round won’t fit in an AW mag.

Ok, I think I’m starting to understand. I knew there were aw and AICS mags but I didn’t know the difference between them. Do they make AW mags for .223 or 6.5 prc? All I’m seeing is 308 type aw mags...

Ok, I think I’m starting to understand. I knew there were aw and AICS mags but I didn’t know the difference between them. Do they make AW mags for .223 or 6.5 prc? All I’m seeing is 308 type aw mags...

.223 definitely not.

6.5prc, I believe, but don’t quote me, you’ll need a wsm aics mag.

Much better customer service and they just plain work.

They will feel different from your defiance (that’s what I moved on from) but once you get used to it they are nice.

My defiance was DLC coated and machined tighter but the impact is a little looser but faster if that makes since.

Reactions: BenAshcraft21
If you want both actions, go for it! But I feel I should say, Ive owned an Axiom and an Impact. I would take the Impact or a Lone Peak over the Curtis. The Impact was harder to bind up and just felt better to me personally. It also has a super light bolt lift. The Curtis' 60 degree lift is a bit heavier, but if you like 60 degree bolts, go for it! I have found that I like a light 90 lift though.
But i will never say not to get a Curtis if that's what you fancy! You want two actions? Get two actions! Murica!

Reactions: Ripdog28
I don’t have a way to put my hands on either action. I just figured since I had a defiance I would try some other brands. I have never tried a 60 degree throw. I have a cadex tremor that’s a 4 lug and I believe it’s 40 degrees. It’s tough to open but it’s also a 50 bmg. I didn’t realize the Curtis vector was primarily for the 308 bolt face or I wouldn’t have picked that one. Lone Peaks fuzion looks the same way. AW cut. So it looks like impact is the way to go for easy building.

Grab an Impact, two barrels and bolts in your preferred calibers, and take all the money you saved not specing out a second rifle and spend it on more ammo.

Reactions: Ripdog28
then why wouldn't the curtis action work? this is confusing. thanks for all the information tho guys. keep it coming

The issue isn't whether or not they'll work. They will work. Reliable feeding can be compromised when upward pressure is exerted on an AI mag on an action cut for AW.

Also, if you tune your bottom metal for AW mags, AI mags will likely sit too high to cycle the bolt without modification.

Ah. To be fair, the magazine blocking the bolt when putting upwards pressure on AICS mags happened when I had an Impact too, it happened using the Magpul Pro 700 chassis, but not when I used the MPA chassis.
I have found however, that I dont care about it anymore. I just dont put pressure on the mag. I modified a magazine to work even with the full weight of the rifle on it, but it wasn't worth the effort considering Ive never found it to be an actual issue in field use.

Reactions: spife7980
I had the same dilemma..i think ill choose impact over vector this time..the option of finding pre reamed barrel or re barrelling without sending your action is a plus

I’ve heard they were doing the same with the vectors soon. But yes this is a big plus. I guess I just wanted to try both actions. But if the vector is that much of a pain then I guess I’ll just stick with impact

Impact all the way. Great customer service and they have ready made barrels on their site. Im currently getting a rifle out together with their action. Once I burn up the first barrel, ill order another in a different caliber and run that one until its shot out too. I like being able to change out my own barrels as well. Big selling point for me.

I had the same dilemma..i think ill choose impact over vector this time..the option of finding pre reamed barrel or re barrelling without sending your action is a plus
vectors do this and have for a while

Whichever you can find in stock

- someone who waited forever on a vector

Ah. To be fair, the magazine blocking the bolt when putting upwards pressure on AICS mags happened when I had an Impact too, it happened using the Magpul Pro 700 chassis, but not when I used the MPA chassis.
I have found however, that I dont care about it anymore. I just dont put pressure on the mag. I modified a magazine to work even with the full weight of the rifle on it, but it wasn't worth the effort considering Ive never found it to be an actual issue in field use.

That’s a totally different issue. Can be fixed slightly trimming the lips.

The vector aw cut let’s the aics mags go way up into the action. You’d have to cut them completely off.

That’s a totally different issue. Can be fixed slightly trimming the lips.

The vector aw cut let’s the aics mags go way up into the action. You’d have to cut them completely off.

Oh. My mistake i misunderstood the situation.

Honestly the more I look at actions the 2 impact idea sounds better and better. They have it all

I built a 6.5CM match rifle on an impact 2 months ago (late February). I expected to build another rifle on different action towards the end of the year...

I now have a second Impact 737r in 223 that's being built as we speak. Suffice it to say, after running the match rifle for less than 2 months, I could not justify using any other action... Period.

Super solid. Super smooth. Super strong. Reliable beyond anything I've run, including with TONS OF SAND dumped into action due to range conditions.

Done and done.

I built a 6.5CM match rifle on an impact 2 months ago (late February). I expected to build another rifle on different action towards the end of the year...

I now have a second Impact 737r in 223 that's being built as we speak. Suffice it to say, after running the match rifle for less than 2 months, I could not justify using any other action... Period.

Super solid. Super smooth. Super strong. Reliable beyond anything I've run, including with TONS OF SAND dumped into action due to range conditions.

Done and done.
Have you tried or compare it with curtis action?

Before buying Impact, I ran hands on with several Curtis Axiom, Deviant, Nucleus, Origin, Tubor and a Surgeon. Plus a few others that I can't recall. Haven't gotten to run a Vector, but two other axiom owners felt they like the axiom more (not sure exactly why though).

Now, I've gotten to compare them after running side by side. While all are very smooth overall, the Impact simply has a slightly faster, smoother action to my hand. I really, REALLY wanted to like other actions more as they are generally less costly, but in this case, they are really good. Worth the extra 0-$400 over other actions? I think so or I would have gone another route for second (and upcoming third build).

Just to add regarding feel of Curtis vs Impact my subjective explanation. On the Curtis you can feel the bolt gliding with a bit more contact inside action. It's smooth, but its like rubbing fingers over wet glass: slippery but there is actually a decent amount of grip to a point.

With the impact, it's like gliding iceskate on hard ice. You feel the action but only at the two contact points. Almost zero resistance during forward movement and closure. There is a *slight* pressure
at bolt rotation as lugs make contact but that disappears and actually makes bolt handle fly downwards, locking into place.

Get yourself to a match and RO for a day, you see one or two for sure.

Reactions: bjay
If you're going to use the 300 blk with a thermal, then the Curtis will give you a little more clearance because it's a 60 degree throw.

Just to add regarding feel of Curtis vs Impact my subjective explanation. On the Curtis you can feel the bolt gliding with a bit more contact inside action. It's smooth, but its like rubbing fingers over wet glass: slippery but there is actually a decent amount of grip to a point.

With the impact, it's like gliding iceskate on hard ice. You feel the action but only at the two contact points. Almost zero resistance during forward movement and closure. There is a *slight* pressure
at bolt rotation as lugs make contact but that disappears and actually makes bolt handle fly downwards, locking into place.

Get yourself to a match and RO for a day, you see one or two for sure.
Ty mate..what interest me on curtis is its 60° i dont know if ill like it...

Ty mate..what interest me on curtis is its 60° i dont know if ill like it...
I liked the idea of 60deg until I ran one. It would take some time to get used to the mechanics without over running bolt. Good action but it's so damn abrupt, it found it to feel more like a straight pull or a 22LR lift by comparison, very short upstroke and easy to top out and disrupt sight picture.

I think the 70-80deg variants out now are the best combo of speed and clearance. Tuebor Precision in Michigan makes a 75deg throw that is pretty slick. It's a really solid action with a lot of solid features. Might be worth checking out if clearance of optics is necessary.

Reactions: bjay
I guess I'm the odd man out. I didn't like my Impact as much as my Deviants. It's not nearly as smooth as my two nitrided Deviants. Reliability was a wash between the two. It does have two anti bind rails instead of one. I wouldn't fault anyone for getting one as long as they realize it's not going to be vastly different from any other custom action. I guess the upside is they come configured to run in any condition without a long lead time. I order my deviants with more bolt clearance and factory nitride. I wasn't crazy about the aluminun bolt shroud and the fact the bolt face was roughly machined. I'm splitting hairs, I realize that. It's good to have the amount of choices we have these days.

I was really hoping it would be on par with the deviant. I absolutely love the one I have in .338 lapua. But variety is the spice of life. If I don’t like it I can always sell it. I’ve seen what people on the hide are asking for used rifles and parts. I can’t believe the resale value of this stuff.

Reactions: Jcarpenter223
I think you'll be pleased with it. I too enjoy variety and decided to give it a try based on all the positive praise it received here on the Hide. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting. In the end I liked my Deviants more and sold it and purchased another Deviant. That's the great thing about the times we're in right now. When I first started buying custom rifles Surgeon was king and Defiance was starting to gain market share largely due to GAP. Ideally I'd like to own one of everything. There's so many cool and inovative custom actions being produced along with stock/chassis and scopes.