• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vectronix Coti+ PVS 14 or PVS 14+Mini MH25 Thermal Monocular Iray

harry_x1

Khalsa
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2019
Hi all,

I am trying to up my game in hunting game as well as night ops during night (low light). Currently I have a White Phosphorus PVS 14 mounted on my helmet. I am trying to somehow add thermal detection to my helmet setup. There are two options I have narrowed down to. Looking for feedback from people who have experience with both of these options or one of them:

Option 1: Add vectronix Coti to existing PVS 14

Option 2: Keep PVS 14 on one eye and on right eye mount a thermal monocular like Mini MH25 (infiray).

My questions are:

1. How effective is vectronix coti in detection. Will I be able to coyotw size targets easily?

2. In Option 2, can I cover both my eyes together? One with NV and other with thermal monocular? Does it cause disorientation or is manageable?

3. What are the other pros/cons of each of these set ups.

4. Any other relevant piece of feedback?

thanks all for your assistance !

harjeet

Reactions: stefan73
The coti has fairly limited detection range. I've gotten returns at 150yds plus but I've detected things at 400 yds with other thermals and got nothing on the coti. My nox18 which should be similar to the 25 will do 500yds easy.

Overall for hunting purposes I'd think the 25 would fit your needs better. Being able to look through a thermal and 14 at the same time depends on the individual. I don’t have issues with it but have read of other people having headaches and disorientation.

Reactions: harry_x1
I consistently detect cow sized critters at 600yds with COTI, but not at 800yds,

Same with Breach.

==
I've been running dual band setups since Oct 2015 and I love it. There are many "haters" out there. :D

The ability to have thermal spotter hands free and use while moving is very liberating, but its apparently not for everyone (but I'm glad they make head mounted spotters even if only for me ! :D )

==
In my review, on here, the Nox-18 can detect cattle out to 1500yds.

I generally don't do chinesium gear, the ones I've tried have consistently NOT held up in the field, basically they look good at short distances and low magnifications in idea conditions, but under field conditions, fall apart after a few nights, so I can't recommend the chinese stuff. YMMV.

I've had just about every head mounted spotter we can buy, ODIN (g1)(320), Armasight Q-14(640), IR-Patrol, BAE Skeet(320), Breach(32)(x2), Nox-18. The BAE cored devices (Patrol, Skeet, Nox) definitely win out on all fronts, though they are a bit more expensive. But experience in the optics world, is that you can cut corners in some cases and not in others. I don't cut corners on my primary thermals.

==

The purpose of the COTI, is not really to be a poor man's spotter. The purpose of the COTI is to enhance shooting with a laser. And for that, its fantastic. having the thermal and the NV (14) collimated enables you to see with the thermal and aim with the laser for quick shots. Its a FAST system and is passive as you don't need illum.

I do however, run the coti and 1 x 14 on a CP NIght cap and for a minimalist system it works great. And I can tell cows from calves at 300yds, for instance.

==
Gallery:

Feb 2016
47251791092_1168d9bf83_k.jpg

March 2019
COTI & Skeet with 14 (skeet for longer distance spotting/PID, COTI for shooting with laser inside 150yds.
47252014752_55310f4b04_k.jpg

March 2019
COTI + 14 on Night Cap
33438511188_4bacf567a4_k.jpg

Nov 2019
Skeet, COTI +14
49119667446_07ad872777_h.jpg

March 2020
Patrol setup as a tripod (or head mountable) thermal range finder, with 3x and radius)
Side by side with breach for size comparison
50123749128_26f406f5ec_k.jpg

April 2020
Patrol mounted on helmet (radius not usable on helmet, but can be used once dismounted off helmet)(3x not usually worn on helmet, but can be attached when stationary)
49834550637_8b0b03c23f_k.jpg

July 2020
Mixing and matching
50133894292_46f8c79d63_k.jpg

Nov 2020
From left to right (showing size) Skeet, Nox-18, Patrol, the N-18 is about halfway between the other two for size
50646131682_b2d7ed644c_k.jpg

April 2021
Various 14s, breaches, Skeet, can't have too many head mountable NODs !!! :D
51127219964_96a93f1e09_k.jpg

Oct 2021
Current critter control setup
mk12 with laser+illum and UTCx. 14 and Breach.
51561491479_904a9b59d0_k.jpg

• Love
If you want to detect critters, the MH25 will, in no uncertain terms — CRUSH, MAIM, EMBARRASS, OBLITERATE, DESTROY, and HUMILIATE the COTI like there’s no tomorrow.

COTI is better than no COTI, but that’s about it. In reality, ANY 320px or better dedicated thermal will tar and feather the COTI — and I’d even include the new eCOTI in that statement.

You don’t want a COTI for hunting.

... How do you like the breach in your setup Wig? ...

Well its definitely a step down from the Skeet, Patrol and Nox-18 ... BUT ... its still WAAAAY better than no thermal at all. And with a street price of $2k its competitive to the chinese stuff.

It has azimuth (which I like) and if you can find one of the 5 button Armasight critters (I have one) then many functions can be run from your wrist.
Has USB connection to download images to PC.
And can run off USB battery, though I've switched to 16650s.
Has digital zoom (I rarely use)
Lots of pallets (I rarely use)
Lots of image settings - As to the settings, I tried several different sorts of settings suggested by people who use breaches a lot more than I have, but finally settled on using one of the factory presets "Sea/Sky" which for whatever reason, I find works really well out here, especially in the woods, where I consider thermal to be critical. But the breach has LOTs of adjustments, for those who like to fiddle :)
Onboard video and images

==

I made up a couple of custom focusing tools for the breaches (I have two now) and they actually help. There's not as much effective adjustment range as I was hoping for, but the tool pushes the "sweet spot" out from 50-100yds on out to 100-150yds and that's a good thing. It also improves things farther out, though the blurriness begins around 200-ish ... whereas it used to begin around 100-ish.

==

Detection on typical night is 600yds for a cow and about 175yds for a coon. That was for a (newly) dead coon a live moving one, you could probably detect out a little further.

==

The 16650 battery cap extension gives you MANY hours of use and it a key improvement over the 1xc123.

==

I've successfully used it as a clipon, as the unit has Top/Left margin adjustments left over from its Armasight software heritage. I'd say that is an "emergency use" only sort of feature. You can mount it on a mum mount or on a skeet mount and I've done both. I've shot it with a .22LR and a 5.56(14.5) but I haven't tried it on a 7.62.
51271690043_2815cc7c60_k.jpg

51272431934_c0779c4a1c_k.jpg

You need a 1x capable optic to run the breach as a clipon so you can see the menu while collimating.

==

I've switched over to the Mod Armory dove tail mounts. You can mount them on 3 sides. One of those sides is optimal for helmet mounting another for clipon use, so there isn't one dove tail position that's optimal for both head mount and clipon mount. The clipon mount position will work on the head, but its not optimal. The optimal head mount dove tail position is very non-optimal for clipon use.

I also have mod armory dedicated mounts for rhino and ic bridge, but again, I'm usually using the dove tail mounts these days.

==
These pics are from 2020 two pairs of images. Comparing the Genesis A55 to the breach, first some cattle at about 50yds

50147557431_17e9a743f0_k.jpg

50146999513_67360fff66_z.jpg

And them cattle at 600-800yds
50147309828_a24c5ddf87_k.jpg

50146999553_fb3803deb5_z.jpg

Note, in the A55 image, you can clearly see the cow at 600yds, the big one in the center of the image, and also see other cows farther away. The close cow is 600yds, the others are out to 800yds the top of the far ridge is 880yds.
The breach can clearly detect the closest cow, the hot orange spot, but not the others farther out, so that's a detection edge at least for this night, but I've found that edge to be "normal" so rate the breach at 600yds detection on cattle.

I don't use the "artic" pallet these days, I use black hot (and switch occasionally to white hot). After focusing the units, the image cleared up and the article seemed too "strange" to me, though YMMV. :)
==
I consider the breaches to be "B" grade units in my inventory, meaning I could give them out to team members who forgot to bring their skeets or Noxes. But, I do practice with them often, so I know the edges of what they can do and not do ... and they are quite useful.

==
So I don't think its a patrol, nox or skeet killer :D but for $2k its a great unit and I'm glad I have 2 of them, and I plan to keep them !

If you are in big open fields, I'd say get a Nox-18. But if your around woods like I am, with some smaller (40 acre or less) pastures, then they work fine.

Well its definitely a step down from the Skeet, Patrol and Nox-18 ... BUT ... its still WAAAAY better than no thermal at all. And with a street price of $2k its competitive to the chinese stuff.

It has azimuth (which I like) and if you can find one of the 5 button Armasight critters (I have one) then many functions can be run from your wrist.
Lots of image settings - As to the settings, I tried several different sorts of settings suggested by people who use breaches a lot more than I have, but finally settled on using one of the factory presets "Sea/Sky" which for whatever reason, I find works really well out here, especially in the woods, where I consider thermal to be critical. But the breach has LOTs of adjustments, for those who like to fiddle :)
Onboard video and images

==

I made up a couple of custom focusing tools for the breaches (I have two now) and they actually help. There's not as much effective adjustment range as I was hoping for, but the tool pushes the "sweet spot" out from 50-100yds on out to 100-150yds and that's a good thing. It also improves things farther out, though the blurriness begins around 200-ish ... whereas it used to begin around 100-ish.

==

Detection on typical night is 600yds for a cow and about 175yds for a coon. That was for a (newly) dead coon a live moving one, you could probably detect out a little further.

==

The 16650 battery cap extension gives you MANY hours of use and it a key improvement over the 1xc123.

==

I've successfully used it as a clipon, as the unit has Top/Left margin adjustments left over from its Armasight software heritage. I'd say that is an "emergency use" only sort of feature. You can mount it on a mum mount or on a skeet mount and I've done both. I've shot it with a .22LR and a 5.56(14.5) but I haven't tried it on a 7.62.

You need a 1x capable optic to run the breach as a clipon so you can see the menu while collimating.

==

I've switched over to the Mod Armory dove tail mounts. You can mount them on 3 sides. One of those sides is optimal for helmet mounting another for clipon use, so there isn't one dove tail position that's optimal for both head mount and clipon mount. The clipon mount position will work on the head, but its not optimal. The optimal head mount dove tail position is very non-optimal for clipon use.

I also have mod armory dedicated mounts for rhino and ic bridge, but again, I'm usually using the dove tail mounts these days.

==
These pics are from 2020 two pairs of images. Comparing the Genesis A55 to the breach, first some cattle at about 50yds

Note, in the A55 image, you can clearly see the cow at 600yds, the big one in the center of the image, and also see other cows farther away. The close cow is 600yds, the others are out to 800yds the top of the far ridge is 880yds.
The breach can clearly detect the closest cow, the hot orange spot, but not the others farther out, so that's a detection edge at least for this night, but I've found that edge to be "normal" so rate the breach at 600yds detection on cattle.

I don't use the "artic" pallet these days, I use black hot (and switch occasionally to white hot). After focusing the units, the image cleared up and the article seemed too "strange" to me, though YMMV. :)
==
I consider the breaches to be "B" grade units in my inventory, meaning I could give them out to team members who forgot to bring their skeets or Noxes. But, I do practice with them often, so I know the edges of what they can do and not do ... and they are quite useful.

==
So I don't think its a patrol, nox or skeet killer :D but for $2k its a great unit and I'm glad I have 2 of them, and I plan to keep them !

If you are in big open fields, I'd say get a Nox-18. But if your around woods like I am, with some smaller (40 acre or less) pastures, then they work fine.
I am thinking about one for an inexpensive unit for the kids or when I go on a fire call for a structure. I haven't been able to find the remote which is what I was previously told would make having one that much better.

I consistently detect cow sized critters at 600yds with COTI, but not at 800yds,

Same with Breach.

==
I've been running dual band setups since Oct 2015 and I love it. There are many "haters" out there. :D

The ability to have thermal spotter hands free and use while moving is very liberating, but its apparently not for everyone (but I'm glad they make head mounted spotters even if only for me ! :D )

==
In my review, on here, the Nox-18 can detect cattle out to 1500yds.

I generally don't do chinesium gear, the ones I've tried have consistently NOT held up in the field, basically they look good at short distances and low magnifications in idea conditions, but under field conditions, fall apart after a few nights, so I can't recommend the chinese stuff. YMMV.

I've had just about every head mounted spotter we can buy, ODIN (g1)(320), Armasight Q-14(640), IR-Patrol, BAE Skeet(320), Breach(32)(x2), Nox-18. The BAE cored devices (Patrol, Skeet, Nox) definitely win out on all fronts, though they are a bit more expensive. But experience in the optics world, is that you can cut corners in some cases and not in others. I don't cut corners on my primary thermals.

==

The purpose of the COTI, is not really to be a poor man's spotter. The purpose of the COTI is to enhance shooting with a laser. And for that, its fantastic. having the thermal and the NV (14) collimated enables you to see with the thermal and aim with the laser for quick shots. Its a FAST system and is passive as you don't need illum.

I do however, run the coti and 1 x 14 on a CP NIght cap and for a minimalist system it works great. And I can tell cows from calves at 300yds, for instance.

==
Gallery:

Feb 2016
47251791092_1168d9bf83_k.jpg

March 2019
COTI & Skeet with 14 (skeet for longer distance spotting/PID, COTI for shooting with laser inside 150yds.
47252014752_55310f4b04_k.jpg

March 2019
COTI + 14 on Night Cap
33438511188_4bacf567a4_k.jpg

Nov 2019
Skeet, COTI +14
49119667446_07ad872777_h.jpg

March 2020
Patrol setup as a tripod (or head mountable) thermal range finder, with 3x and radius)
Side by side with breach for size comparison
50123749128_26f406f5ec_k.jpg

April 2020
Patrol mounted on helmet (radius not usable on helmet, but can be used once dismounted off helmet)(3x not usually worn on helmet, but can be attached when stationary)
49834550637_8b0b03c23f_k.jpg

July 2020
Mixing and matching
50133894292_46f8c79d63_k.jpg

Nov 2020
From left to right (showing size) Skeet, Nox-18, Patrol, the N-18 is about halfway between the other two for size
50646131682_b2d7ed644c_k.jpg

April 2021
Various 14s, breaches, Skeet, can't have too many head mountable NODs !!! :D
51127219964_96a93f1e09_k.jpg

Oct 2021
Current critter control setup
mk12 with laser+illum and UTCx. 14 and Breach.
51561491479_904a9b59d0_k.jpg
I am grateful for the time and effort you gave to share this knowledge...was super helpful...thanks !

Reactions: stefan73

Onboard video and images

==

==

==

==

==

==

==

==

That thermal image from the Breach reminds me of the M2 ODS Bradley's. Their cooled thermal was basically a red blob representing heat. I still remember doing gunnery at FT Benning in 98 and issuing fire commands only to have my gunner put 6 rounds of 25mm HE on 4 deer. RO was pissed because he had to clean it up.
It was either the TOW or Dragon sights that were just a blob with no real definition.