• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vectronix Terrapin or PLRF 10

Paul38

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2011
Oregon Coast
Comparing the two, what are the difference in ranges. Which one works better at all ranges. I have read they are both lite and pocket sizes, is this true.
Anyway you can see what I'm looking for, is the PLRF 10 worth the more money.
I plan on using it for shooting a 375 CT, at some long ranges.

Thanks for any help,

Re: Vectronix Terrapin or PLRF 10

The Terrapin gives you such amazing performance at distances out to 2000 yards, in almost any lighting condition and with almost any target, that you'd be hard pressed to want more.

If you need to range where the LRF is facing the sun, or the sun is really hitting the target and bouncing towards you, and/or the target is non-reflective of IR, then you may want to try the PRLF10 which may have more laser output power and punch thru interference.

Bottom line is that you might range out to 2000 yards in extreme conditions where the Terrapin craps out around 1500 or so... but that has been quite rare for me... so far it has 100% ranged to 1700 yards even when the sun is shining hard on the target.

Thanks for the reply, from all that I have read they are both pretty much eqaul except the PRLF10 has a little more power and will do angles where the Terrapin will not. But once again I just don't know for sure, any more help out there.

Thanks,

The 10 will do the angles and such, but I think someone had reported that their 5 was out performing the 10. Hmmm.

Thank you sir, I will go with the performer. Can't argue with success.

Thanks,

and having the angles calculated into the effective range is a concern to me... as I don't know which formula they would have applied to correct range for elevation. I'd rather have them report angle and let me do the correction with my ballistic calculator.

To get angle and azimuth you need the 10C or 15C. They will also come with a serial port for connection to the PDA. The Terrapin is range only.

the serial port for connection to an external ballistic program would be the best way to go. I can't wait for Vectronix to make a compact LRF that can be bolted on to a side rail, with a bluetooth data connection to a smartphone ballistic computer. one push of a button like a flashlight on an AR and you have range and scope settings for your target.

You can get than now in the RULR, but it's boocoo bucks. You think a PLRF25C is pricy? HAH!

Right now, the hot ticket is the PLRFxC or Vector unit, slaved to the spotter and cabled to FFS on the PDA. Instant 1 button press firing solutions and you can build range cards with the grid location of every TRP you ping in minutes, with the firing solution to each displayed as you go, along with the relative wind vector.

The 25c is pretty shit hot, smaller than the Terrapin, cable with the one button firing of the laser and solution for FFS...

Bruno here has the 25c and he let me use it, and he made his own cable that works great, for like $20. I was digging it.

One thing... the terrapin is able to laser without any problem till 3500/4000 m ( 4000 m by hands no tripod )

IMAG0259.jpg

IMAG0258.jpg

I've a PLRF 10 C, I laser with no problem to 2400/2500...some times further, the terrapin has about 1000 m more capability.

here I try to laser at sunset, PLRF unable to read Terrapin reads every time without any issue.

rocca.jpg

P3030016.jpg

I prefer PLRF 10C because you connect it to a Nomad and FFS...as Cory said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CoryT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To get angle and azimuth you need the 10C or 15C. They will also come with a serial port for connection to the PDA. The Terrapin is range only. </div></div>

+1

PP out

I guess it all boils down to needs. As far as I'm concerned a firing solution is all that I need. I'm not going to call in air strikes. You would need a Hummer to carry all that stuff around.

yes I also have had Terrapin range out to 3000-4000 yards, but what's more important to me, is out to what range can a LRF go in ANY light condition. Otherwise you may have to wait until dusk or early dawn to get your range card built.

How far are you building a range card. I range out to 2000 yds consistently even on the brightest days.

Just got my Terrapin today and I'm very happy with it.

Got it from Potomac River Group for $1875.00 + $20.00 for next day shipping.

Thanks guys, this forums awesome.

Paul

Augustus, to about 1800 yards max. I have not had a problem ranging my steel at 1800 yards, ever, in any light condition. But ranging rocks and other non IR reflective objects I have had problems at 1800 yards and further, if the sunlight is competing with the laser beam.