• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vectronix Terrapin vs Leica 1600 CRF

clmayfield

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
I recently "upgraded" from a Leica 1600 CRF to the Vectronix Terrapin. While I haven't had the opportunity yet to actually use the Terrapin in a shooting situation, I have played with it in enough different weather environments and taken enough readings that I feel like I can do a decent comparison. And the results might surprise some people on this forum. Or maybe not.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Ranging</span>

For pure ranging capability, the Terrapin wins hands down, and it's not even close. The farthest I have ranged so far was a building at roughly 5060 yards and this was done holding the unit. I pinged the building on the first try. In subsequent tries, I was not able to replicate. So far, I haven't even bothered to try and bag the unit in, but for me, there is no use bothering because clearly this device will range much farther than I would contemplate shooting. For my Leica 1600 CRF, the farthest object I was able to range was a water tower at 2,001 yards. This was done bagged in at night (in other words, ideal conditions).

Now, 2,000 yards seems great, but I am not hunting water towers. I need to be able to range deer at 600 yards and smaller animals at even closer distances as well as F-class sized targets at 1,000 yards. Well, the whole reason I got rid of my Leica is that I was having difficulty doing that... especially in foggy conditions. And where and when I shoot... in the early dawn during fall and winter a lot of the time... I face these conditions quite a lot. It once took me several tries to get a reading on a deer at 175 yards in the fog. After 2 tries, with your adrenaline going, it is difficult not to audibly curse when this happens. I got it the third time, but I had already decided I needed another alternative at that point.

In the fog, I am able to range things I simply couldn't with the Leica 1600. This is a big win for the Terrapin, but given the price difference, this wasn't a surprise. The devices simply aren't in the same league.

Another key feature available on the Terrapin, which is not available on the Leica, though it is available with the Bushnell ARC and ARC Fusion is the ability to ignore close objects. In fact, the Terrapin will display ranges for up to three objects that might be along the line of sight. This is a great function. With the Terrapin, the range will flash if more than one object is ranged and you can scroll through the multiple objects ranged. This is great if you are shooting through brush. Multiple times with the Leica, I have had to stalk closer to get a more direct line of sight view as I was picking up branches and grass. With the Terrapin, I have been able to range objects through a chain link fence. I wish I had the 1600 to do the comparison, but I had to sell it to finance the Terrapin. I am pretty sure the 1600 could not hack that task.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Ergonomics</span>

Here is where it gets tricky. The ergos on the Leica 1600 CRF are incredible. The unit is so small it can easily be used with one hand. This also makes for a unit that can easily be attached to a belt, a vest, or a backpack without being cumbersome at all. The Terrapin, on the other hand is a freaking brick. Yes, it will attach to all of the same places the 1600 will, but you will know it's there. I will come back to the size in a second.

On the Leica 1600, the ranging button protrudes pretty substantially on the unit, while the second "function" button is recessed slightly. I didn't think of that much at the time, but it is truly a good design. You will know intuitively by feel which button needs to be pressed. What's more, you hold the unit vertically as opposed to horizontally, so when you are squeezing the button, you are basically pulling it like a trigger. Why should this matter? We are all marksman here and understand the importance of a trigger pull that is smooth and does not disturb the sight picture. The result it that it is very intuitive for us marksmen to keep the reticle aimed at the target while we depress the range button. The force pulls back against the web of your thumb and index finger like a pistol grip. I have a very difficult time doing this with the Terrapin. My thumb alone is opposing the button force when I range one handed, which makes it very difficult to operate in one handed operation. When ranging small objects, you are pretty much forced to use both hands. Even when using both hands, I can't keep the unit as steady with two hands as I could the Leica.

And back to the buttons. Te range button and the function buttons on the Terrapin are exactly the same. The range button is closer, making it easy enough to learn, but I kept pressing the wrong button and wondering why. Well the reason was that the buttons are close enough together on the unit, that I was finding the wrong button with my finger, and because I was only using the range button, I was only finding one button at a time. You could argue that this is a training issue, but it was not an issue that I had with the Leica and this is due to superior design.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Optics</span>

The Leica 1600 features a 7X magnification while the Terrapin features 5X magnification. When I think of Leica, I think of good glass and the Leica clearly has good glass, no pun intended. I was surprised by the image quality of the Terrapin having no experience with Vectronix products. I didn't really miss the higher magnification of the Leica. In fact, the FOV appeared a lot larger for the Terrapin. Doing some calcs, I came up with 3 degrees for the Leica vs 8 degrees for the Terrapin. Basically over twice the FOV. This should not be surprising, as the Terrapin is substantially larger. Further, I really like the reticle on the Terrapin. The Leica is nice and clean with no markings until you touch the range button, at which point, a red dot makes the range aiming point apparent. This has its advantages as well, but the reticle on the Terrapin allows it to substitute for a spotting scope in some ways. Really, I would consider the optics a wash.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Speed of Ranging</span>

I had read that the Terrapin can take a while to come up with a reading, and that is one hundred percent true. It seems to take anywhere from a second to two and a half or three seconds from the time you push the button to get a reading. Now, because it ranges so well, you probably won't have to range a second or third time, unless you couldn't hold the reticle on the target, which is a possibility (see above). Still, the Leica 1600 is noticeably faster than the Terrapin. Not a big deal, but let's say you are ranging at night... In order to light up the reticle on the Terrapin, you have to hold the range button down for a second. So at night, you have to hold the button down for a second, release, then hit the button again and wait for a reading. At that point, the difference is several seconds. Definite advantage for the Leica 1600 in low light situations.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Other features</span>

The one feature that the Terrapin is missing is the vertical angle to target. This is a pretty big deal, especially for such an expensive unit. The Leica 1600 will display this as well as temperature and atmospheric pressure. This is enough data to plug into your ballistic calculator to get pretty close. No hygrometer, so I pretty much stick to using my Kestrel for atmospheric conditions, but in a pinch, you can do without the Kestrel for everything but wind, humidity, and compass readings.

The Leica 1600 CRF also features a ballistic calculator that is admittedly not very good. The upcoming Leica Geovid will feature an improved ballistic calculator, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some update to the 1600. Leica had already released the 1600B CRF to make up for the fact that the first version only gave ballistic numbers out to 500 yards, which I would think is a good thing as I wouldn't trust the data past that distance.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Summary</span>

So surprisingly, I am missing my Leica 1600 CRF for its great ergonomics. I am even contemplating saving up for one to have in addition to the Terrapin. For pure ranging capability, the Terrapin is a better unit hands down. It also costs about 3 times as much as the Leica 1600 CRF.

For hunting in brush country in South Texas where most shots are inside of 300 yards, the Leica 1600 has its place, especially if I am on foot. For hunting out of a blind or a jeep, where I'm not concerned about the extra bulk, I think I would rather have the Terrapin. For shooting steel or paper, I think I would rather have the Terrapin if I am out beyond 600 - 700 yards. The Leica will pick it up, but sometimes it will take multiple tries.

In other words, each rangefinder has its place. I was expecting to be blown away by the Terrapin and I was, but considering the price difference, I am not sure that it suits my needs that much better than the 1600. I guess I should also thank Eurooptic for making the price differential a lot lower than it could have been as I won a 25% discount from a Smack the Smiley donation from Eurooptic. And I am not being ungrateful at all as they also carry the Leica 1600 for what I believe is the best price around. So if you are considering either device, think about the folks who support the Hide first.

That's it. I would love to hear other people's experiences with either of these rangefinders.

Re: Vectronix Terrapin vs Leica 1600 CRF

Good reveiw. I have had my Terrapin about 2 months now. It is my first rangefinder. I have ranged reduced IPSC steel out to 900. Larger objects out to 3600+. I place it on 2 rear bags stacked and use it in a prone position. Glass is nice, but would like a little more magnification, maybe 7x. I am happy with it, but like I said, I haven't used any other brands, and it has seen limited use so far.

Awesome review. Thanks for the information. Will keep this in mind when upgrading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thrasher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome review. Thanks for the information. Will keep this in mind when upgrading.</div></div>

Thanks. I think the key thing to remember is that it is not necessarily all upgrade. In fact, depending on your needs, it might be best to stay with the Leica 1600, or maybe to own both. I didn't buy the Leica because of its compactness, but having experienced its ergonomics, it really grew on me.

If I could get by on the 1600 alone, I would, but the Terrapin can definitely range things the 1600 cannot.

If the extra weight or bulk wouldn't bother you, an inexpensive tripod to set the terrapin on might help. I use a short (like 16" tall) tripod for my Swaro since it has the threads for it.

I find the range almost anytime in any weather of the Terrapin is so much better than my Leicas were. They often let me down when I needed them most. Too cloudy...too sunny...a little mist....small targets >600yds and my Leicas were just not reliable. For my use I don't need a rangefinder for less than 300 yds. That and the ability to range virtually any time at any sane distance quality of the Terrapin makes it no contest between the Terrapin and the Leica or Zeiss I have owned. I definitely prefer my LRF's to be great at ranging and leave weather and ballistics to the instruments I use that are good at those tasks. A very good comparison though and it goes to show you have to pick the instrument for your style of shooting. Well written.

Great write-up. Very timely for me. Thanks for sharing your time, thoughts and observations.

Good objective review on the pros and cons. Looking to see how the new Leica geovids hold up against the vectronix. I am in the market for one likely this summer/ fall. I need a rangefinder that is fully reliable to range targets like deer and coyotes to 5-600 yards in any weather

Great review, thanks for your time and writing that up.

I´ll post this question on this thread too. How does your Terrapins work in light snowfall?
My Leica had no problem measuring distant targets in even heavy rain or at least medium
snowfall. I haven´t had the opportunity to test the Terrapin in rain yet but even in the lightest
snowfall it´s useless. In good weather it ranges small distant targets way better than my Leica did.

Bushnell 1600 LRF Binos

For budget reasons I went with the Bushnell 1600 binos in 10X42. So far I have had excellent accuracy in ranging, even in the rain. I am HOPING that Bushnell always stands behind these LRF binos with their lifetime garantee.

My farthest measurement was 1,810 meters, despite the advertised 1600 max range.

I´ll post this question on this thread too. How does your Terrapins work in light snowfall?
My Leica had no problem measuring distant targets in even heavy rain or at least medium
snowfall. I haven´t had the opportunity to test the Terrapin in rain yet but even in the lightest
snowfall it´s useless. In good weather it ranges small distant targets way better than my Leica did.

Recently my Leica and a friend's Terrapin couldn't range in fog. No surprise really. Ranges were shown less than 100 yards, even though targets were over 500. I've had similar issues with other range finders in snow and rain. The Leica 1200 I own has been pretty reliable on most targets and the size is hard to beat. It's 1/2 the size of the Terrapin so it's better for packing around if you don't need the range. That's the biggest turnoff for the Terrapin for me is the size and weight over the Leica.

I've used a lot of rangefinders and really none of them can be trusted in rain/fog/snow to be absolute. You won't have any idea what the laser receiver has decided to lock onto in terms of return pulses. If in doubt, you have to mil the target with a spotting scope or rifle reticle (if safe to do so). If I'm in the field and the LRF is giving me a range that seems off based on visual cues, I will always mil the target as a second confirmation.

Depends on the thickness of the fog. One thing I noted was that in very thick fog, my Terrapin would give me a false reading while the Leica 1600 simply wouldn't register. In lighter fog, the Terrapin is able to get through fog the Leica could not. One of my main reasons for switching was the ability to penetrate fog. While the Terrapin is better than the Leica in this regard, it is not absolute. If the fog is thick enough, it will mess up your reading.

Good post. I contemplated trading my Leica RF in on a terrapin a while back and came the much the same conclusion. Now, I wouldn't trade my Leica 1600 for any other rangefinder. It seems to be the perfect balance (compromise?) of size, capability, and reliability. I'm sure the terrapin is a great unit, but for what I do it doesn't justify the added cost.

For most practical use the 1600 is the way to go. I haven't had any trouble out of mine. It's small which makes it easy to carry and it ranges really fast. To the human eye it almost appears instantaneous.

Awesome review - I'm in the market for a new LRF and this helps a bunch!! Thanks for your time

I recently "upgraded" from a Leica 1600 CRF to the Vectronix Terrapin. While I haven't had the opportunity yet to actually use the Terrapin in a shooting situation, I have played with it in enough different weather environments and taken enough readings that I feel like I can do a decent comparison. And the results might surprise some people on this forum. Or maybe not.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Ranging</span>

For pure ranging capability, the Terrapin wins hands down, and it's not even close. The farthest I have ranged so far was a building at roughly 5060 yards and this was done holding the unit. I pinged the building on the first try. In subsequent tries, I was not able to replicate. So far, I haven't even bothered to try and bag the unit in, but for me, there is no use bothering because clearly this device will range much farther than I would contemplate shooting. For my Leica 1600 CRF, the farthest object I was able to range was a water tower at 2,001 yards. This was done bagged in at night (in other words, ideal conditions).

Now, 2,000 yards seems great, but I am not hunting water towers. I need to be able to range deer at 600 yards and smaller animals at even closer distances as well as F-class sized targets at 1,000 yards. Well, the whole reason I got rid of my Leica is that I was having difficulty doing that... especially in foggy conditions. And where and when I shoot... in the early dawn during fall and winter a lot of the time... I face these conditions quite a lot. It once took me several tries to get a reading on a deer at 175 yards in the fog. After 2 tries, with your adrenaline going, it is difficult not to audibly curse when this happens. I got it the third time, but I had already decided I needed another alternative at that point.

In the fog, I am able to range things I simply couldn't with the Leica 1600. This is a big win for the Terrapin, but given the price difference, this wasn't a surprise. The devices simply aren't in the same league.

Another key feature available on the Terrapin, which is not available on the Leica, though it is available with the Bushnell ARC and ARC Fusion is the ability to ignore close objects. In fact, the Terrapin will display ranges for up to three objects that might be along the line of sight. This is a great function. With the Terrapin, the range will flash if more than one object is ranged and you can scroll through the multiple objects ranged. This is great if you are shooting through brush. Multiple times with the Leica, I have had to stalk closer to get a more direct line of sight view as I was picking up branches and grass. With the Terrapin, I have been able to range objects through a chain link fence. I wish I had the 1600 to do the comparison, but I had to sell it to finance the Terrapin. I am pretty sure the 1600 could not hack that task.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Ergonomics</span>

Here is where it gets tricky. The ergos on the Leica 1600 CRF are incredible. The unit is so small it can easily be used with one hand. This also makes for a unit that can easily be attached to a belt, a vest, or a backpack without being cumbersome at all. The Terrapin, on the other hand is a freaking brick. Yes, it will attach to all of the same places the 1600 will, but you will know it's there. I will come back to the size in a second.

On the Leica 1600, the ranging button protrudes pretty substantially on the unit, while the second "function" button is recessed slightly. I didn't think of that much at the time, but it is truly a good design. You will know intuitively by feel which button needs to be pressed. What's more, you hold the unit vertically as opposed to horizontally, so when you are squeezing the button, you are basically pulling it like a trigger. Why should this matter? We are all marksman here and understand the importance of a trigger pull that is smooth and does not disturb the sight picture. The result it that it is very intuitive for us marksmen to keep the reticle aimed at the target while we depress the range button. The force pulls back against the web of your thumb and index finger like a pistol grip. I have a very difficult time doing this with the Terrapin. My thumb alone is opposing the button force when I range one handed, which makes it very difficult to operate in one handed operation. When ranging small objects, you are pretty much forced to use both hands. Even when using both hands, I can't keep the unit as steady with two hands as I could the Leica.

And back to the buttons. Te range button and the function buttons on the Terrapin are exactly the same. The range button is closer, making it easy enough to learn, but I kept pressing the wrong button and wondering why. Well the reason was that the buttons are close enough together on the unit, that I was finding the wrong button with my finger, and because I was only using the range button, I was only finding one button at a time. You could argue that this is a training issue, but it was not an issue that I had with the Leica and this is due to superior design.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Optics</span>

The Leica 1600 features a 7X magnification while the Terrapin features 5X magnification. When I think of Leica, I think of good glass and the Leica clearly has good glass, no pun intended. I was surprised by the image quality of the Terrapin having no experience with Vectronix products. I didn't really miss the higher magnification of the Leica. In fact, the FOV appeared a lot larger for the Terrapin. Doing some calcs, I came up with 3 degrees for the Leica vs 8 degrees for the Terrapin. Basically over twice the FOV. This should not be surprising, as the Terrapin is substantially larger. Further, I really like the reticle on the Terrapin. The Leica is nice and clean with no markings until you touch the range button, at which point, a red dot makes the range aiming point apparent. This has its advantages as well, but the reticle on the Terrapin allows it to substitute for a spotting scope in some ways. Really, I would consider the optics a wash.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Speed of Ranging</span>

I had read that the Terrapin can take a while to come up with a reading, and that is one hundred percent true. It seems to take anywhere from a second to two and a half or three seconds from the time you push the button to get a reading. Now, because it ranges so well, you probably won't have to range a second or third time, unless you couldn't hold the reticle on the target, which is a possibility (see above). Still, the Leica 1600 is noticeably faster than the Terrapin. Not a big deal, but let's say you are ranging at night... In order to light up the reticle on the Terrapin, you have to hold the range button down for a second. So at night, you have to hold the button down for a second, release, then hit the button again and wait for a reading. At that point, the difference is several seconds. Definite advantage for the Leica 1600 in low light situations.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Other features</span>

The one feature that the Terrapin is missing is the vertical angle to target. This is a pretty big deal, especially for such an expensive unit. The Leica 1600 will display this as well as temperature and atmospheric pressure. This is enough data to plug into your ballistic calculator to get pretty close. No hygrometer, so I pretty much stick to using my Kestrel for atmospheric conditions, but in a pinch, you can do without the Kestrel for everything but wind, humidity, and compass readings.

The Leica 1600 CRF also features a ballistic calculator that is admittedly not very good. The upcoming Leica Geovid will feature an improved ballistic calculator, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some update to the 1600. Leica had already released the 1600B CRF to make up for the fact that the first version only gave ballistic numbers out to 500 yards, which I would think is a good thing as I wouldn't trust the data past that distance.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Summary</span>

So surprisingly, I am missing my Leica 1600 CRF for its great ergonomics. I am even contemplating saving up for one to have in addition to the Terrapin. For pure ranging capability, the Terrapin is a better unit hands down. It also costs about 3 times as much as the Leica 1600 CRF.

For hunting in brush country in South Texas where most shots are inside of 300 yards, the Leica 1600 has its place, especially if I am on foot. For hunting out of a blind or a jeep, where I'm not concerned about the extra bulk, I think I would rather have the Terrapin. For shooting steel or paper, I think I would rather have the Terrapin if I am out beyond 600 - 700 yards. The Leica will pick it up, but sometimes it will take multiple tries.

In other words, each rangefinder has its place. I was expecting to be blown away by the Terrapin and I was, but considering the price difference, I am not sure that it suits my needs that much better than the 1600. I guess I should also thank Eurooptic for making the price differential a lot lower than it could have been as I won a 25% discount from a Smack the Smiley donation from Eurooptic. And I am not being ungrateful at all as they also carry the Leica 1600 for what I believe is the best price around. So if you are considering either device, think about the folks who support the Hide first.

That's it. I would love to hear other people's experiences with either of these rangefinders.

I just got a Terrapin and a 1600-B CRF. The Leica is on its way back to the vendor.

The Terrapin is ruinously expensive, but goddamn. Comparing them side by side is to compare a Remington Tactical with the gum-rubber stock with an AIAW. Sometimes you buy something expensive and then feel a little buyer's remorse, like you really didn't get your money's worth? Yeah...no. Not with this thing.

I ranged individual people out to 1400 yards today, and buildings and so on out to 3755. It's kind of a bitch to hold it still enough to tag an individual at that range, but it was clear my caffeine jitters were the limitation, not the instrument. Basically, if I could see it, I could range it.

Do you HAVE to have it? No. I could make the Leica work if I had to. But I could make a Savage Tactical work if I HAD to. However, I suspect I won't be able to stand the cheesy feel and piss-poor performance of lesser lasers now.

I just got a Terrapin and a 1600-B CRF. The Leica is on its way back to the vendor.

The Terrapin is ruinously expensive, but goddamn. Comparing them side by side is to compare a Remington Tactical with the gum-rubber stock with an AIAW. Sometimes you buy something expensive and then feel a little buyer's remorse, like you really didn't get your money's worth? Yeah...no. Not with this thing.
I ranged individual people out to 1400 yards today, and buildings and so on out to 3755. It's kind of a bitch to hold it still enough to tag an individual at that range, but it was clear my caffeine jitters were the limitation, not the instrument. Basically, if I could see it, I could range it.
Do you HAVE to have it? No. I could make the Leica work if I had to. But I could make a Savage Tactical work if I HAD to. However, I suspect I won't be able to stand the cheesy feel and piss-poor performance of lesser lasers now.

Actually, the beam dispersion of the Leica 1600B is only 0.1 more than the Terrapin, while the Leica is 7x compared toTerrapin's 5x. No doubt the Terrapin ranges farther than the Leica, but what are you going to be shooting at past 1600 yards? Since the Leica has ballistic curves built in for 800 yd shots, while the Terrapin has zip ballistic compensation, to me, it's not worth the additional $1200 for the "best" RF. If you're making 1000 plus yard shots, the Terrapin and a reliable ballistic calculator is a a great option, but for mere mortals like myself, the lighter weight and ballistics compensation at a far less price point makes the most sense. But since I'm still researching the options, I'm open for any corrective views.
Skip

Actually, the beam dispersion of the Leica 1600B is only 0.1 more than the Terrapin, while the Leica is 7x compared toTerrapin's 5x. No doubt the Terrapin ranges farther than the Leica, but what are you going to be shooting at past 1600 yards? Since the Leica has ballistic curves built in for 800 yd shots, while the Terrapin has zip ballistic compensation, to me, it's not worth the additional $1200 for the "best" RF. If you're making 1000 plus yard shots, the Terrapin and a reliable ballistic calculator is a a great option, but for mere mortals like myself, the lighter weight and ballistics compensation at a far less price point makes the most sense. But since I'm still researching the options, I'm open for any corrective views.
Skip

The Leica's ballistic compensation only goes to 800 yards, and I use a separate ballistic calculator and Kestrel anyway. The real bottom line benefit is that the Terrapin will ping a small, dark target a lot further out than the Leica. Yes, it's 5x instead of 7x, and I would prefer more magnification, but the glass is SO sharp that I don't think I'm giving much up that way. I do shoot at 1000 and over enough to make it a capability worth having.

I'm taking it to a L O N G range tomorrow to do some UKD testing on B27s to 2000 yards.

Now, if you will NEVER shoot past 1000, and you aren't super concerned about very small targets, the Terrapin isn't worth it, you're correct.

I have both LRF's and carry both on me at all times. THe ONLY downside for some about the terrapin is its size, and thats why I carry both. The terrapin isn;t near large enough to be a problem, it's great. I carry my Leica on its laynard then stuffed in my pocket for very quick needs. Its so small and light I cant tell it's there. As far as ranging goes there is NO comparision between the two. I can't hold the Leica well enough at long range to get good readings anyway. The terrapin can be mounted on a tripod too for ease of ranging. My terrapin stays with the tripod adapter on it and I usually put a tab gear rear bag on my rifle while I'm position and use the LRF on top of it. When I'm spotting/calling solutions or need to be steadier at a hight position I use the tripod. Since my tripod stays in my pack all the time whether I was using the terrapin or not just makes it a wash when toting gear is looked at. If you shoot LR and you are having trouble getting good ranges then the terrapin will be the one of the most important things you can buy

I live in one of the wettest places on earth so I switched to the Terrapin from the Swaro and Leicas this year and couldn't be happier with its performance on rainy days that fog out my older LRFs.
People at over 1000yds seem easily within its reach.
My longest animal is a black bear in light fog at just over 900...I was as impressed as hell.

For deer hunting in decent weather I still have my Leica.
Nothing like ranging a target 5 times in about a second...For speed nothing I have seen beats Leica and I do wish the Terrapin was faster.

I really appreciate your taking the time to write this review. Though I'm still torn what to do... now it's for different reasons. I would (like everybody else) love to have both, but I can only afford one. I still need to do some more searching. Trying to find a comparison between the Leica Geovid 8x42 and the terrapin when I found this.

Thanks again for the write up.

The terrapin, hands down. No need to have both. I carry both only because I have both. I would have saved a lot of money of I would have just bought the terrapin first. No need to look into any other LRF