• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vectronix - Updated 2014 Product Developments

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Vectronix Update,

At SHOT, I spoke to some in charge at Vectronix about what is happening with the line in 2014 and here is the Real Scoop.

1. Yes the Terrapin, PLRF 10c, PLRF 15c will be discontinued some time this year. (Official cut off date is TBD)

2. All the products will continued to be supported. No one will be left hanging.

3. We (customers) have a direct venue for products, all remaining inventory will be available and sold to anyone wishing to buy them. We can also get the PLRF 25c. Ashbury International will handle commercial sales. So, as of right now, you can order anything from the PLRF 05 to the 25c from Ashbury. Later when the items listed above as discontinued become unavailable we will still have access to the 25c. We the Terrapin replacement becomes available we will be able to order that and get it from Ashbury.

I was given full assurances the full line will be supported, and through Ashbury very little if anything will not be available to the commercial market. Basically if you can afford, and it is not on the discontinued list, there is an avenue.

Disregard all the rumors, don't worry if you told in the past you could not buy it, we have been told Ashbury is our Vectronix Commercial Distributor.

here come the questions that you probably don't have the answers to yet......

As a new Terrapin owner I'm glad nothing will change CS wise. Looking forward to seeing this Terrapin replacement.

The fact they are discontinuing the product does not take away from the fact you have an excellent Laser Range Finder. It has proven itself to be one of the most effective lasers in its class.

Use it with confidence and know it was not discontinued because of a short coming in its quality.

Anything that will replace it will certainly come at a higher cost.

So no news of the rumored Terrapin replacement then? Really didn't want to order a Terrapin until towards the end of the year but it looks like I may have to rearrange my to buy list.

A replacement is coming, where it lands between the PLRF 5 & the PLRF 25c I can't say, and I don't believe they knew yet either.

I suspect it will be close in price to calling it a 12.5c but that is just a hunch, pure speculation on my part.

Yeah Im not looking to spend 3K+ on a range finder, the Terrapin was stretching what I was willing to spend but its undeniable performance over its competitors made me decide to spend the cash sooner rather than later now it seems.

Good news. Couldn't be happier with my Terrapin. Just curious, but did you ask as to why they chose to discontinue such a I fine line of products?

Good news. Couldn't be happier with my Terrapin. Just curious, but did you ask as to why they chose to discontinue such a I fine line of products?

More than likely they will narrowing their product line to 3-4 or less range finders. Something like 21's something like a 25c and a 15 so that the 5's and such stop taking away from the sales of the 10's and 15's.

Anything that will replace it will certainly come at a higher cost.

This is what I like to hear. I knew if something newer came out it would come with a bigger price tag. For what i do and for what I see myself doing in the foreseeable future the Terrapin will outclass me for a long time. Thanks for the updates Frank.

I recently became a dealer with Ashbury and plan on buying a number of the Terrapins on monday for inventory.

The Terrapin is amazing for the money. I anticipate anything replacing it will be just as good if not more, though I anticipate that it will be significantly more money.

Whatever replaces it, Vectronix needs to ensure Bluetooth connectivity with Kestrel, Mac OSX, and iOS... and at the prices charged, even the entry-level unit should have a compass and inclinometer... puh-leez!

Whatever replaces it, Vectronix needs to ensure Bluetooth connectivity with Kestrel, Mac OSX, and iOS... and at the prices charged, even the entry-level unit should have a compass and inclinometer... puh-leez!

Their new "entry level" RF has almost everything you listed. It the plrf25C at 8500 bux. Haha

For $9500 Cory T was selling vector 9's or 21's. I would love a pair of those! I lasered stuff to 15k meters, ridge to ridge before.

When I talked to Vectronix they seemed very vague about what was coming as if the details had not been ironed out yet. I'm excited to see what comes next regardless. But I do feel anything over 2k is going to keep a LOT of people away.

Bluetooth connectivity with a MAC is controlled by Apple.

They limit what will interface with their devices there is nothing Vectronix can do about that.

Believe me I know why they are discontinuing it, and the reality is, we all made out with the Terrapin. If you want a sub-$2k laser that works, get the Terrapin now while you can, you will be glad you did. If you want bells and whistles, get the 10c or 15c. The only BT option is the 25c.

thinking they are going to come out with a lrf that has all the bells and whistles (blue tooth and compass) for anything less than what the 25c is priced at wont happen. im sure the terrapin replacement will be priced in the price gap from the tarrapin to the 25c. the replacement will also have to fulfill the same gaps being left by the removal of the 10 and 15c's. all conjecture at this point but from what vectronix has said, they 25c is their flagship, it has it all and its 8500 bux. i bet the replacement doesnt have a compass or blue tooth. basically a terrapin in a redesigned case and other changes. if they give any more capability it will take away from the 25c sales. its a strange market with the units being so expensive and really there is only like 3 options that change the price (compas,bt, range). will be very interesting to see what they come out with but i agree, the terrapin is a great buy and im sure their resale will improve in the future.

Their new "entry level" RF has almost everything you listed. It the plrf25C at 8500 bux. Haha

Unless things have changed in the last 2 months, the 25C has none of that connectivity—no MacOSX, no iOS, no Kestrel.

Bluetooth connectivity with a MAC is controlled by Apple.

They limit what will interface with their devices there is nothing Vectronix can do about that.

Believe me I know why they are discontinuing it, and the reality is, we all made out with the Terrapin. If you want a sub-$2k laser that works, get the Terrapin now while you can, you will be glad you did. If you want bells and whistles, get the 10c or 15c. The only BT option is the 25c.

When I spoke with their lead technician a couple of months ago, I expressed the same wish list as I mentioned above. He said that Vectronix was planning to have, indeed was currently working on, the Mac OSX, iOS, and Kestrel connectivity, so whether it is controlled by Apple or Vectronix has a work-around, they are aware of the problem. He estimated that it would be 6-12 months before the connectivity would improve—but then we are all old enough to have such time estimates in perspective.

I am sure their next entry level will be more expensive—hence we should expect more of it—connectivity, compass, and inclinometer. At present, even the $8500 25C is missing the connectivity, for which reason I elected to buy a Terrapin until such time as they offer an affordable "have it all" PLRF.

Last edited:
    Unless things have changed in the last 2 months, the 25C has none of that connectivity—no MacOSX, no iOS, no Kestrel.

When I spoke with their lead technician a couple of months ago, I expressed the same wish list as I mentioned above. He said that Vectronix was planning to have, indeed was currently working on, the Mac OSX, iOS, and Kestrel connectivity, so whether it is controlled by Apple or Vectronix has a work-around, they are aware of the problem. He estimated that it would be 6-12 months before the connectivity would improve—but then we are all old enough to have such time estimates in perspective.

I am sure their next entry level will be more expensive—hence we should expect more of it—connectivity, compass, and inclinometer. At present, even the $8500 25C is missing the connectivity, for which reason I elected to buy a Terrapin until such time as they offer an affordable "have it all" PLRF.

The only real limitation Apple puts on Bluetooth connectivity is the MFi license. When Kestrel and other companies say they can't support iOS or OSX due to bluetooth hardware limitations and Apple what they really mean is they do not want to pay the MFi royalties and licensing fee.

I would gladly pay an extra $50 or so for a Kestrel that worked with my Mac and iOS devices. Perhaps Vectronix is joining the MFi program if they are working on bluetooth connectivity for OSX and iOS? If so that is a very good thing. I wish Kestrel would follow suit.