• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vehicle Break ins!!!

srt_1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2008
Steubenville, OH
Since our department has layed off...we are down to working with sometimes, less than minimal manning...For the past two months, we have had hundreds of vehicles broke into. From GPS units to cups of change and personal items. All break ins are occurring at night, between midnight and 6am...most nights, our department works with just 2 patrolman...down from the normal 6 - 7 partrolman...

Just last night, while I'm on vacation enjoying my holiday with family, the very same two worthless crackheads, broke into my Jeep...stealing a GPS unit, a cup of change and my girlfriends diamond earings...oh, and my Kimber TLE!!! with two extra mags!

Your thing my department will help out? Not at all.....will they put more men out there? Not at all....They pretty much only care about thier holidays and weekends off and thats about it....

Sorry, for the rant, but I'm irrated with the public not getting help and or answers and now I'm a victim as well!!!

Re: Vehicle Break ins!!!

Not to add insult to injury but why would you leave all of that in your vehicle? Especially while on vacation and prior knowledge of whats going on.

One way or another I hope they catch the scumbags and that you get your possessions back.

ace31, I'm on vacatioin but still in town...The GPS was attached to the windshield and the Kimber in my middle consol...I was running around yesterday and must have not locked my door when I came home...the worse part of it is my German Shepherd didn't bark once last night!

Park in a well lighted area
Lock vehical
Don't leave valuables in the vehical
Invest in a trail camera
After pictures are reviewed hunt the bastard down and calibrate
Destroy all evidence

I didn't want to sound like I was blaming the city..I know I should not have left the valuable in there, but the area was well lit and it was in my driveway about 7 feet from my front door. I take the blame and still am unsure if I locked my door or not...obviously I didn't but who knows...

I will be out tonight beating down every crackhead door in town asking questions though!

At least you have a river there to dump the bodies. I lived up there for a while and loved it. 3 of my friends had there cars broken into while another friend had his 4 wheeler stole. My luck was good (other than getting arrested for possesion of a handgun) it was stolen to (by Columbus PD) But that isn't near about as bad as when I moved to Zanesville Oh. The crack head capitol of the world. Good luck with it all buddy. I hate that those crackhead got such a fine pistol. Check the pawnshops or local murder scenes. I hope it pops up

That just simply sucks!
I'm loving my small town more and more every day. We leave doors unlocked, keys in cars, four wheelers parked outside, etc. and don't worry about it. I live at the end of a dead end road and have neighbors that are always home, very nosy, and armed! We all watch out for eachother. A few months back there was a guy that parked at the end of the road and walked back towards my neighbors house who wasn't home. I greeted the stranger with my pistol on my side. Turns out he worked for the census and was mapping addresses for the surveys. He produced ID and apologized for creating any concern and then proceeded to tell me how he wished his neighborhood was like this.

The stupidity of leaving your GPS attached to your windshield is just an invitation. Leaving your gun in your vehicle just adds to the stupidity. The fact that you are a cop and carry a Kimber cinches it. You got what you asked for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3PER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The stupidity of leaving your GPS attached to your windshield is just an invitation. Leaving your gun in your vehicle just adds to the stupidity. The fact that you are a cop and carry a Kimber cinches it. You got what you asked for.</div></div>

^^^ Favorite post of the day. ^^^

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BAZ_0157</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since our department has layed off...we are down to working with sometimes, less than minimal manning...For the past two months, we have had hundreds of vehicles broke into. From GPS units to cups of change and personal items. All break ins are occurring at night, between midnight and 6am...most nights, our department works with just 2 patrolman...down from the normal 6 - 7 partrolman...

Just last night, while I'm on vacation enjoying my holiday with family, the very same two worthless crackheads, broke into my Jeep...stealing a GPS unit, a cup of change and my girlfriends diamond earings...oh, and my Kimber TLE!!! with two extra mags!

Your thing my department will help out? Not at all.....will they put more men out there? Not at all....They pretty much only care about thier holidays and weekends off and thats about it....

Sorry, for the rant, but I'm irrated with the public not getting help and or answers and now I'm a victim as well!!! </div></div>

As you stated now you know how the public feels, being a victim sucks huh ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3PER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The stupidity of leaving your GPS attached to your windshield is just an invitation. Leaving your gun in your vehicle just adds to the stupidity. The fact that you are a cop and carry a Kimber cinches it. You got what you asked for. </div></div>

+1 now if you carried an hk i would feel your pain but... not tonight hahahaha

everyone has to poke at people dont they. . . .

of course he knows he fucked up, hes missing over $2k worth of stuff now. but everyone slips once in a while.

i do see the main meat of his point though. with proper police patrols there would be many less "victims." i pay good money for my house and my belongings. i shouldnt have to hide and lock up all my shit like Ft. Knox 24-7 and if i do forget and slip up i do not deserve to have it all taken from me.

im willing to bet whatever neighborhood he lives in was once fairly safe and people payed a little more for their homes to live in the area because it was well patrolled. now they cut these people off and leave them out in the breeze. No, you shouldnt leave "bait" visible in your car, nor guns. But the moment you feel that you have to hide everything you own and you worry more than you should about "maybe i left a window unlocked, damn" sorry people. . .YOUR ALREADY A VICTIM. and no one deserves that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3PER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The stupidity of leaving your GPS attached to your windshield is just an invitation. Leaving your gun in your vehicle just adds to the stupidity. The fact that you are a cop and carry a Kimber cinches it. You got what you asked for. </div></div>

So how do you really feel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nly205</div><div class="ubbcode-body">everyone has to poke at people dont they. . . .

of course he knows he fucked up, hes missing over $2k worth of stuff now. but everyone slips once in a while.

i do see the main meat of his point though. with proper police patrols there would be many less "victims." i pay good money for my house and my belongings. i shouldnt have to hide and lock up all my shit like Ft. Knox 24-7 and if i do forget and slip up i do not deserve to have it all taken from me.

im willing to bet whatever neighborhood he lives in was once fairly safe and people payed a little more for their homes to live in the area because it was well patrolled. now they cut these people off and leave them out in the breeze. No, you shouldnt leave "bait" visible in your car, nor guns. But the moment you feel that you have to hide everything you own and you worry more than you should about "maybe i left a window unlocked, damn" sorry people. . .YOUR ALREADY A VICTIM. and no one deserves that. </div></div>

agree

Seems to me as though you're not the only one(BAZ_0157) in this situation.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2170746&gonew=1#UNREAD
and
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2185474#Post2185474

It plainly sucks. Its aggravating.

society in general is in bad shape.

I grew up in farm country where we never locked anything. The fact that we have to lock EVERYTHING now pisses me off!!!

Ive lost $20K plus to worthless ass, dick smokin, meth fags.

The problem is, theyre not worth the trouble it takes to get rid of the bodies

Too many crackheads and not enough suicide.

jcfd2201...I moved from a small town and a neighborhood like yours. I too am used to leaving doors unlocked and keys in vehicles. The neighborhood I live in now reminds me of my home town...no problems here since I've been here for the past 10 years...unfortunately, crime has found it's way here now.

nly205...Thank you!! I am quite aware, that I messed up! Truth of the matter, which is no excuse, is I was running around all day for the holiday spending time with family. A mere mishap on my part, but an unfortunate one...As for the community and feeling like a victim, I am actually one of the cops on the department who will actually take time to help others in town! As for being a victim now it does suck! Also, I am forced to once again carry my HK usp...Great gun!!! I like very much...however, I am more of a Kimber person...prefer the 1911! other than my weapon preference, is there any other comments that need to be made in regard to my "stupidity"???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BAZ_0157</div><div class="ubbcode-body">jcfd2201...I moved from a small town and a neighborhood like yours. I too am used to leaving doors unlocked and keys in vehicles. The neighborhood I live in now reminds me of my home town...no problems here since I've been here for the past 10 years...unfortunately, crime has found it's way here now.

nly205...Thank you!! I am quite aware, that I messed up! Truth of the matter, which is no excuse, is I was running around all day for the holiday spending time with family. A mere mishap on my part, but an unfortunate one...As for the community and feeling like a victim, I am actually one of the cops on the department who will actually take time to help others in town! As for being a victim now it does suck! Also, I am forced to once again carry my HK usp...Great gun!!! I like very much...however, I am more of a Kimber person...prefer the 1911! other than my weapon preference, is there any other comments that need to be made in regard to my "stupidity"???

</div></div>

no problem. people like to play "poke the bear" from the safty of their keyboards and high horses. because we all know none of these people has even made a mistake. and if they do. . . I'm 100% positive they would really love to have 10 people point and jeer at them to "help" them learn the lesson they already learned from their mistake.
whistle.gif

A firearm gone missing from the possession of a person in law enforcement is NOT a small thing or any person for that matter, to make it worst he's all giddy about how he was running around for the holiday like that's a valid excuse for carelessness.

The previous comments are a bit harsh but so what.. its not his wallet that's just missing with a extra 3mags and ammo its a gun that will likely be used for some druggies benefit to rob to support his habit, we shouldn't have to pat you on the back and say "its alright" that's what your gf is for.. You f*cked up hopefully its found stop being so naive buy a locking case for your vehicle and pray its recovered..

Sorry but I'm "poking the Bear"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RemiG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A firearm gone missing from the possession of a person in law enforcement is NOT a small thing or any person for that matter, to make it worst he's all giddy about how he was running around for the holiday like that's a valid excuse for carelessness.

The previous comments are a bit harsh but so what.. its not his wallet that's just missing with a extra 3mags and ammo its a gun that will likely be used for some druggies benefit to rob to support his habit, we shouldn't have to pat you on the back and say "its alright" that's what your gf is for.. You f*cked up hopefully its found stop being so naive buy a locking case for your vehicle and pray its recovered..

Sorry but I'm "poking the Bear" </div></div>

i was referring more to the bold "your an idiot" and other non useful or constructive comments. i wasnt trying to relieve him of personal responsibility. but your "sorry but im poking the bear" is childish.

i remember you remiG, i went to bat for you after your first post where you asked for "local snipers" in arizona and people jumped on you like flys on shit. my how quickly the shoe has switched feet. once again i was trying to bring people back down to making constructive comments towards you instead of just slinging pointless insults, since changing the title of your OP you had obviously learned your lesson and deserved no more ridicule. wasnt that like 2 or 3 weeks ago? didnt actually learn much from that lesson did we? did all those people talking shit to you for pages do anything to help you out or appreciate the "wrongness" of your statement? or did it just piss you off and put you on the defensive for no reason at all? It seems like the only lesson you learned from that was not to use the word "sniper" which means you didnt learn anything you shouldnt have known in the first place. now your all geared up to join the shit talking band wagon. aparently you wernt worth sticking up for, go "rant" somewhere else.

honestly, i was in some of my statement just joking. I honestly carry my handgun in my truck i never wear it into the stores or actually have it on me... ya ya i know, I do know where your coming from, if i had it stolen i would be f*c*ing pissed and just as upset.

the one member was right, we all make mistakes hey you have to sleep some time so not every one can keep every thing protected.

moral of the story i feel is now you can actually relate to what the victim feels like and this should make you a better cop now that your on the outside looking in, least i hope it makes you a better cop.

sorry about your loss though

the loss does suck and I am pissed about it... more pissed some douche bag thief has my firearm! I like to believe I'm a good cop, and hopefully, maybe this will better me.... I do the same thing, always leave it in the jeep and never carry it in anywhere....the other problem is getting myself into a routine... I'm comfortable in my neighborhood and never once thought I'd have to worry about shot like that..... lesson learned! and now I have to buy a new sidearm....

That's to bad. I'm sure the sn is listed as 'stolen' by now. You need a cheaper gun if/when you keep it in your vehicle. Hopefully you find something out by looking into likely suspects.

Sorry to hear about your loss BAZ. I'm hoping you get to catch up with the thieves or their buddies soon.

I think also it's a good example for people these days when some of the cities around are looking to cut budgets and too many of them seem to pick the police and fire department for budget cuts, they best be thinking twice.

Cities get all cheap and not wanting to pay for police instead of trimming some of the other useless fat from the city expenses and then they wonder why crime starts to go up.

I thought this thread was going to be an argument on new trucks since y'all beat barrel break-in to death.

Brother our Township got hit for about 6 months off and on, and they hit our surrounding jurisdictions as well.Its the same time of night and same thing they did, any type of electronics, loose change and anything else of value they could either use, pawn or sell at Traders World. I would try looking around your local pawn shops to see if he pawned it off before it was entered into LEADS as stolen. Ya might get lucky.

Well I guess there is an upside at least they didnt go to youre door and add home invasion to the list.Because if I robbed someones car and found all that sitting there in an unlocked car I would love to know whats in the house!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BAZ_0157</div><div class="ubbcode-body">jcfd2201...I moved from a small town and a neighborhood like yours. I too am used to leaving doors unlocked and keys in vehicles. The neighborhood I live in now reminds me of my home town...no problems here since I've been here for the past 10 years...unfortunately, crime has found it's way here now.

</div></div>

No. I think I said it all.

Well, I can say, that I've had the best Christmas ever! The little pricks that are breaking into cars have not been caught, but my Kimber that was stolen has been returned to me on this very day!!!
Lesson learned, no more leaving it in the Jeep....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3PER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The stupidity of leaving your GPS attached to your windshield is just an invitation. Leaving your gun in your vehicle just adds to the stupidity. The fact that you are a cop and carry a Kimber cinches it. You got what you asked for.</div></div>

^^^ Favorite post of the day. ^^^</div></div>

......verily so

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BAZ_0157</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since our department has layed off...we are down to working with sometimes, less than minimal manning...For the past two months, we have had hundreds of vehicles broke into. From GPS units to cups of change and personal items. All break ins are occurring at night, between midnight and 6am...most nights, our department works with just 2 patrolman...down from the normal 6 - 7 partrolman...

Sorry, for the rant, but I'm irrated with the public not getting help and or answers and now I'm a victim as well!!! </div></div>

You left a gun in a car at night knowing assholes were stealing shit??? WTF were you thinking?
You all know these fucktards are doing this shit between midnight and 0600, so get the hell out there and find the fuckers and give them a serious ass whoopin that will put them in hospital. Screw arrests or LEO's use your initiative and do something about it.

ps To the rest of you, if you leave a gun in a car/truck and it gets out onto the street, well your fault for being fucking stupid. You DO NOT leave that shit in a vehicle over night. It's called security of sensitive items in the military and if you ain't in, then you should still be practicing some of it where YOUR rifles and pistols are concerned because YOU leaving the shit where scumbags can get it put MY family and FRIENDS at risk.
IOW, secure your trash so it doesn't grow legs and force march away

They are using plastic air bag wedges with a squeeze pump to spread apart the doors from the frames and then tool to lift the lock and believe it or not a damn tennis ball with a hole in that goes over the key hole. That last one is on you tube showing all the knuckleheads how to do it. Hit it with the palm and forces air into the key hole and raises the lock, works on most cars.

Locking a door is nothing anymore, you have to have an alarm or at least the red blinking lite that "indicates" an alarm. They look for the absence of the lite and pop into any vehicle and are stealing change, sunglasses, umbrellas and anthing.

BH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BountyHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are using plastic air bag wedges with a squeeze pump to spread apart the doors from the frames and then tool to lift the lock and believe it or not a damn tennis ball with a hole in that goes over the key hole. That last one is on you tube showing all the knuckleheads how to do it. Hit it with the palm and forces air into the key hole and raises the lock, works on most cars.

Locking a door is nothing anymore, you have to have an alarm or at least the red blinking lite that "indicates" an alarm. They look for the absence of the lite and pop into any vehicle and are stealing change, sunglasses, umbrellas and anthing.

BH </div></div>

Tennis ball video was just a hoax.
Several credible sources have tested this, and Mythbusters even used a Concentrated Air hose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought this thread was going to be an argument on new trucks since y'all beat barrel break-in to death. </div></div>

Haha this was my favorite post of the day

Lindy,
The Ravelco link is pretty interesting.

...but I want one of these:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xGPVD2Fdh0k"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xGPVD2Fdh0k" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

3PER & switch said most everything that needed saying. OP, you don't need more patrols in your area, you need some common fucking civilian sense. What the hell is a sidearm of yours doing on the other side of a broken window?

I'm glad you got your Kimber back. Now put it in the safe and buy yourself a Glock for duty use.

Colts and Kimbers are what you show your friends. Glocks are what you show your enemies.

Happy New Year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ace31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to add insult to injury but why would you leave all of that in your vehicle? Especially while on vacation and prior knowledge of whats going on.</div></div>

My thots exactly. You of all people know better, or should. First thing car burglars do is look in the window for visible stuff and visible power cords, so they know you have stuff. Your GPS unit stuck to the windshield was an open invitation.

I dont leave anything in my car I like.

Problem is nly205, what is 'proper police response? Takes a car burglar 30 seconds to break your window and take your sh%t. Unless your local patrol guy is 'johnny-on-the-spot', he wont catch them. But no, it doesnt help at all to be that undermanned.

Tex, friendly PM sent

As stated formerly, you leave your guns in your vehicles, you are flat being STUPID. They are also inviting scumbags to steal those weapons and let them onto the street where as I stated they form a serious risk to our collective friends and families.
Far too many people on this site have posted over the last year about having their rifles and handguns stolen from their vehicles. It is intolerable among this membership

This made me think about something I read a while back per GPS units...Good FYI for you guys...

Thieves were stealing GPS units and garage door openers from public parking areas (think mall, grocery store, etc)...9 out of 10 times the victim's home is programmed into the GPS as, none other than "HOME"...so the thieves now had access to the garage which typically means the entire home and directions to get there...so they could break in at their leisure with minimal casing.

If you do have your HOME programmed into your GPS...might be a good idea to delete that and program HOME as say...the front of your neighborhood or some place close by.

I thought this ^ was a good idea anyways
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tex, friendly PM sent

As stated formerly, you leave your guns in your vehicles, you are flat being STUPID. They are also inviting scumbags to steal those weapons and let them onto the street where as I stated they form a serious risk to our collective friends and families.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Far too many people on this site have posted over the last year about having their rifles and handguns stolen from their vehicles. It is intolerable among this membership</span> </div></div>

Exactly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texagator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
LockTakeHide.jpg

<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Here endeth the lesson.</span></span></div></div>

Why is it when you post I get the impression you are all "juiced" up and you are raging? Or suffer from little man's syndrome? lol Calm down dude, not everything in the world needs this level of intensity.

KB, the issue of weapons in general being left unsecure in a vehicle is a top level issue. It demands the highest level of intense scrutiny as well as adherance to a regimen of security of sensitive/high value items.
The lack of security of individuals on this site as to unsecure weapons goes across the board to military, civilian, LEO, and others who have in the past year have posted their stupidity and lack of security of their weapons.
I and Tex will leave those posts up and they will be removed January 1st as an example of lessons to those of you who read them and would still consider leaving a weapon unsecured in a vehicle. Bottom line is this:
A weapon is not secure in a vehicle. If you are not in that vehicle it is your job to insure those weapons are in a secure place. period

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KB, the issue of weapons in general being left unsecure in a vehicle is a top level issue. It demands the highest level of intense scrutiny as well as adherance to a regimen of security of sensitive/high value items.
The lack of security of individuals on this site as to unsecure weapons goes across the board to military, civilian, LEO, and others who have in the past year have posted their stupidity and lack of security of their weapons.
<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">I and Tex will leave those posts up and they will be removed January 1st</span></span> as an example of lessons to those of you who read them and would still consider leaving a weapon unsecured in a vehicle. Bottom line is this:
A weapon is not secure in a vehicle. If you are not in that vehicle it is your job to insure those weapons are in a secure place. period</div></div> When your text is quoted...you no longer have a say when it is removed from the site...FYI

Switch, I'm not disagreeing with you at all, or Texagator. I'm just pointing out that more times than not, he goes over the top in his replies when its not warranted. People make mistakes, anybody that says they haven't is a liar. The OP has been scolded and won't make the same mistake again, I guarantee that. That is all.

Kelly

Edit: I edited my post above to "unquote" the diatribe Texagator felt necessary..........however I left the pic attached because its a good idea! Now you can take it down whenever you want guys.

Glad to hear you got your weapon back BAZ.

I never keep anything in my car that I wouldn't mind losing, I've had too much stolen and learned that hard lesson. If you must keep a handgun in the car, get a safe/gun vault and keep it hidden. And take your gps, laptop, wallet, switchblade, carwash coupons with you when you exit the vehicle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This made me think about something I read a while back per GPS units...Good FYI for you guys...

Thieves were stealing GPS units and garage door openers from public parking areas (think mall, grocery store, etc)...9 out of 10 times the victim's home is programmed into the GPS as, none other than "HOME"...so the thieves now had access to the garage which typically means the entire home and directions to get there...so they could break in at their leisure with minimal casing.

If you do have your HOME programmed into your GPS...might be a good idea to delete that and program HOME as say...the front of your neighborhood or some place close by.

I thought this ^ was a good idea anyways
grin.gif
</div></div>

Hell of an idea.....

That or the local police substation....

Delete the post? Leave it like a scarlet letter. Or start a new one titled "responsible gun ownership". Rule #1 If it's not on you or on the bench pointing downrange, lock it up.

I am tired of taking reports where people have had a gun stolen out of thier car. Too many as of late. Im tired of saying "Here's your report number, oh and one last thing an ass chewing sir." God help them if that gun is used against one of my officers or a child.

Glad you got your Kimber back. It sucks that this has to be such a costly lesson to you but hopefully some embarassment on your part will help someone else.