• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Velocity differences between barrels in semi 308??

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
Can anyone point me to real velocity measurements on some of the recently released semi 308's?

I am curious to see real numbers on the 16", 18" and 20" models of the LaRue and the LWRC semi 308's.

I am going to be getting a precision 308 semi soon, and would like to stay as short as I can while maintaining MOA or better accuracy, with good loads, out to the limits of my usual range. About 650 yards.

I have no hesitation in trying one of the piston guns. But am willing to go with DI as well. FWIW, I have a new Armalite AR10 lower and considered just adding a quality upper, so that is a possibility also. I would love to go with a 16" for handiness, but if the 20" is notably flatter shooting, I would do it.

Re: Velocity differences between barrels in semi 308??

It's a non-issue to 650 yards... you can go as short as 14.5" if you wanted and still have good accuracy, providing you can actually shoot the rifle to its potential.

FYI, we hit consistently out to 600 yards with our 12.5" POF 308, it really didn't go to hell until 800 yards.

I will get the actual numbers this week, but I use about 13 MOA with factory ammo to 500 yards, so depending on what ammo I am shooting, you are looking at 2500 - 2550fps with a 16" barrel from an AR10 type rifle.

My 16" rifles hammer to 800 yards. I am on the range now, and will double check my numbers but that is pretty darn close to what I use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a non-issue to 650 yards... you can go as short as 14.5" if you wanted and still have good accuracy, providing you can actually shoot the rifle to its potential.

FYI, we hit consistently out to 600 yards with our 12.5" POF 308, it really didn't go to hell until 800 yards.

I will get the actual numbers this week, but I use about 13 MOA with factory ammo to 500 yards, so depending on what ammo I am shooting, you are looking at 2500 - 2550fps with a 16" barrel from an AR10 type rifle.

My 16" rifles hammer to 800 yards. I am on the range now, and will double check my numbers but that is pretty darn close to what I use. </div></div>

Excellent. Just what I needed, real numbers. Your experience works for me. I am getting a 16" then. Now to find one. Appreciate it Frank.

Very Good info: specially with the 16.5", if it still 2550fps, then there is no trouble shooting for 800meter!

Dang Lowlight, I was going to cut my rifle to 16.5", thought about going back to 20", but I think you just made up my mind for me!!

LL, do you know how much energy was still left from that 12.5" at 600?

Thanks,
P.B.Walsh