• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

velocity matters?

badshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2008
South Arkansas
How critical is velocity related to accuracy? I started loading my .308 with 150gr bullets at the most velocity I could get out of it, I have since started backing down a little. I am around 2750-2800 now. I use this rifle as a hunting rifle mostly, but I do like to see how good I can get at killing paper. I found a load for Accubonds that will hold 1" at 200yds. I also found a Gameking load that will hold 1.5" at 200yds. Should I even expect more than this from a Remmy SPS? I was thinking of trying some heavier bullets, but I dont have any right now. 500 yds is my max range right now, so I guess I'm asking, will slowing down any more tighten up the groups and still be good enough to hunt with? I would also like to load a universal load that anybody (friends and family) could shoot and be safe and comparable to factory.

Re: velocity matters?

velocity is not related to accuracy. Let me clarify velocity can change things like time of flight and BC values but as long as things like twist rates, bullet design etc. can be tweaked and perfected you can have a very accurate slow bullet and a very accurate fast bullet as long as you don't venture into transonic.

I just got done helping a buddy get his Rem XCR Tactical .308 up and running. We ended up using 155 Scenars and ran them anywhere from 2750 to 2900, the accuracy never really changed. Bullet seating depth played a lot bigger role in that rifle than anything else we tried. I can't recall what it ended up being(OAL), but if they had been much longer they wouldn't have fit in the magazine. That rifle shoots a solid .5, 5 shot group at 100 meters. For an out of the box rifle I didn't think that was to shabby.

velocity is your friend in the field. it minimizes drift/drop and maximizes terminal ballistics. win/win.

a 1 MOA rifle will handle any situation you may encounter in the field, the only possible exception is varmint hunting.

Practice and a good range finder are also your friends in the field.

Lose the bench and sand bags. Shoot that .308 as much as you can under Field/hunting conditions and it will serve you well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
velocity is not related to accuracy</div></div>

well, sorta... at 100 yards 50 fps might not show up. Might not. Inconsistencies in velocity will affect things.

If you are holding sub 1 moa at 200. Your on the right track. You also have a good choice in bullet. With that weight of bullet 2900 fps is not too much. The AB in that range will kill efficiently to 750ish maybe a bit more.

Inconsistency is a different matter than is velocity related to accuracy. I stated the variables like time of flight (that would cover a lot) and bullet design and twist rates that covers just about every other that could be. but I will say again in my opinion they are not related when punching paper at any range as long as we don't count transonic.

I think some of my problem is the velocity spread I'm getting from my loads. I get up to 50fps between 5 shot groups. I measure every load twice, once with a RCBS ditigal scale and a 505 scale. What could be causing this? Do I need to weight the cases and sort by that? I figured that only mattered with a match grade gun. I also cant load the bullets long enough. I tried a OAL of 2.948 and that still didn't touch the lands. It was as far out as I could load the bullet and not have it fall out of the case. My gun will take a OAL of 2.825 in the magazine, i think. Should I keep them long and adjust it or shorten it and adjust around that?

Something that might help you get more uniform velocity is lubing the inside of the necks with moly. Neco makes a kit that contains stainless steel shot and moly. It really lowered my sds. You will get a lot more even seating pressure...I swear by it.

More info needed
brass, powder, bullet and dies used

NT will give you fits, process of elimination

The RCBS 505 scale is what I used,so your are GTG. Check the scale to see if its inline with the weighted charge. Example;put 40 grains of powder on scale,balance it out,dump it,then find a 40 grain weight bullet,it will be problary a grain or two off. One can buy a profession weight set from RCBS for about 25-30 bucks. Did you try different bullet weights and longer ones? I don't know,it shoots damn good the way it is,maybe irgorne the SD's and kept on shooting?

The best groups are with 150 Accubonds and 48.0gr of W748 I believe(I'm at work and dont remember exactly) the OAL is 2.800. I also got good groups using 150 Siera GK and RL15 at 2.755 OAL. I don't have a way to check the chamber length other than use a cartridge and a long bullet. I have a weight that came with my digital scale so I can check both, and I do often.
I did find that the case weights are ranging from 153.5gr to 172gr. I think that might affect it some. What do I need to get the correct neck tension? I haven't played with that yet.

Mearsure bullet diameter O.D. then set your die bushing 0.002 undersize. If you are using regular dies,one will not be able to do this.I shopuld not say that because you can grind the sizer down to specs. Get Redding,Forster bushing bump neck sizing dies and a few others make dies with interchangable bushings. Sort cases out by brand , weight and when reloading, if one seats the bullet to easily or hard, toss it aside for plinking. I know some reloaders leave out the sizer entirely. I have not expeirment with this yet. Hornady makes two different models to check your headspace. First is a Hornady All Bullet Compararor and the other is Lock -N-Load HeadspaceKit with Body,about $28.00 to $36.00 . Should have one,they come in real handy when setting your bullet progressive towards the lands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Harold Dale</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mearsure bullet diameter O.D. then set your die bushing 0.002 undersize. </div></div>

you need to measure the case neck with a bullet seated, and subtract .001"-.002"

Thanks for the info! What parts do I need to buy to get to set the NT? A certain die and bushing or what? I haven't done any of this before. What all do I need to get the OAL right, just a Hornady All bullet comparator?

Harold, i understand.

what you are saying may work, but since the bushing works on the outside of the case neck and since the number on the bushing is the ID of the bushing, the case neck measurement is the usual way to get there.

i usually use Redding "S" neck sizing die sets in my factory guns and Redding Competition in my guns with match chambers.