• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report velocity spread

partisan1911

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2009
N. Pole, Alaska
what is a decent velocity spread in a 338 lapua? I am trying to shoot 250gr out of a 1/10" twist barrel but can't get it to group. 300gr group ok. I am using 92gr of H1000 so I know I am not trying to push the bullet too fast.

Re: velocity spread

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: partisan1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am using 92gr of H1000... </div></div>
This is barely over the minimum charge for a 250 grain bullet. You should be able to get up to 97-99 grains. It should shoot better at the higher end of the charge weight.

A decent velocity spread is < 25 fps SD less than 50 fps ES.
A good.. velocity spread is < 20 fps SD
A great. velocity spread is < 15 fps SD

I had the same problem i have a match grade 338 with a 30 inch 1/10 bartlien. I tried everything i tried every kind of bullet and powder that is available for a 338 lapua. my best results came from N560 82 grains, 2700fps, 300 grain lapua bullet. The spread with this bullet is around 22 fps with that powder. i was shooting .1's and .2's with that load. I then found a load of 78 grains of IMR 4350 with a 300 grain SMK at 2730 FPS. The spread is 10 FPS and also shoots in the .1-.2 range. i stuck with this load. I was able to push the pill much faster with other powders, but accuracy sucked. speed does not mean a thing if you can not hit anything. i spent months working on this gun and have talked to a lot of people. If you want match accuracy and low ES you have to run that pill a little slower. I also talked to the guys at sierra and they also recommend that load for accuracy and low ES.i also tried many types of solids but could not get them to shoot. Trust me try the 4350 load and you will be happy. n560 is good to.

I used 78.2gr/IMR4350 and was very pleasantly surprised. Mild recoiling too.

I loaded 90gr of h1000, 300gr bullet, lapua brass, federal primer. My primers are still showing a little crater! I also loaded 92gr of h1000, 250gr partition bullet, lapua brass, federal primer.....both of these show pressure signs and neither one of them group very well at 200yds. The rifle is a factory remington 700 lapua. I have had constant issues with this rifle. I know I am not trying to push it too fast. I am seating out as far as I can with the magazine. Any ideas?