• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Velocity?

Toney198

Tikka Tweaker
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2017
Asked in another thread but did not get a response, maybe this will be a better place.

I made my mind up and was going to purchase a thunder beast for my 6.5 CTR. Of course silencershop.com (gonna do a trust) is sold out. So I’m back to waiting to wait. My question is, I know some velocity is lost with shorter barrels. I am looking to add a 308 CTR (free match ammo) to the arsenal. Does adding a suppressor gain or take away any velocity?

A suppressor on my 24" 6.5 creedmoor increased my speed with 140's from 2830 to 2850 fps.

Yep, I've seen that across all of my TBAC suppressors also. I don't run anything else on precision rifles so I wouldn't know about other manufacturers. 300WM, 338LM, 260 REM - all about 10-20 fps. No more than .1 MIL deviation @ 100 yards attached versus un-attached also, which is sweet.

Asked in another thread but did not get a response, maybe this will be a better place.

I made my mind up and was going to purchase a thunder beast for my 6.5 CTR. Of course silencershop.com (gonna do a trust) is sold out. So I’m back to waiting to wait. My question is, I know some velocity is lost with shorter barrels. I am looking to add a 308 CTR (free match ammo) to the arsenal. Does adding a suppressor gain or take away any velocity?

Are you set on buying from SilencerShop? You can find them in stock elsewhere.

Are you set on buying from SilencerShop? You can find them in stock elsewhere.

Oh no, I’m very pro who ever is cheaper!! But there $130.00 trust is very simple and hard to pass up......

Most attorneys in my area are well over 350 for a trust

Oh no, I’m very pro who ever is cheaper!! But there $130.00 trust is very simple and hard to pass up......

Gotcha. Considered doing it that way but ended up ordering my Ultra 7 and having it sent over to my dealer on a form 3. He's an attorney and took care of my trust, pics, prints, and stamp all in one stop. Once my can makes it in all I have to do is sign my form 4 paperwork in DocuSign via email and it gets sent off same day.

I know you said you are wanting to go with a trust. But you can always go the individual route for now.

I've read that a longer barrel will increase velocity because the bullet gets pushed within the bore for a longer distance. A suppressor absorbs the gases so it takes away the propulsion much like after the bullet exits the barrel.
I guess it will barely increase the velocity.

I've read that a longer barrel will increase velocity because the bullet gets pushed within the bore for a longer distance. A suppressor absorbs the gases so it takes away the propulsion much like after the bullet exits the barrel.
I guess it will barely increase the velocity.

uhmmm.....no not perzackley

Reactions: gconnoyer
I know you said you are wanting to go with a trust. But you can always go the individual route for now.

Wtf would you want to pay the government $200 twice for the same item????

I used 199 Trust for my last two cans. Only $79, great service, no problems whatsoever. I don't understand paying $300+ for a trust. That is just throwing money away.

my .260 and Magnetospeed V3 show about 5-10fps increase (at best) on a 24" or 26" bbl.
Longer the barrel, the less "return" you get from adding a can. The hotter the load, the better "return" you get, especially on the shorter barrel.

I don't think I've ever seen more than a 20 fps, maybe 30 fps increase putting a can on shorter barreled rifles. Something to take into account, but not anything I would consider a useable ballistic advantage.

I should add, I've also wondered if that difference was at least partly due to the different Magnetospeed orientation and settings. I have the el cheapo version, so I have to finagle it a bit to get it to reliably read when mounted to a can.