• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Versa pod? Ideal Bipod height?

Beef82

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2011
NC
Looking for some advice. I've been shooting many years but have never used a bipod, always used a benchrest, field expedient, or positional shooting. Now I have a M700SPS-V .308 in a B&C Light Tac stock, and I'm considering putting a bipod on it. I know Harris is probably the most widespread, and Atlas seems to be king.

How's the Versa Pod line? Anyone have experience with them? good or bad. I didn't find much info on them when I searched.

Second question, What's the ideal height range? I'm of pretty thin build and I do not want to have to be up on my elbows, but I'd prefer to not have to dig a hole to get some elevation if my target is a little uphill, or is that even an issue.
Thanks.

Re: Versa pod? Ideal Bipod height?

Get the one with the friction lock knobs. Go to the Versapod website and look at the super short model i think it is 5-7".

I tried one of the Versa-pods and after shooting with it two times I went back to my Harris and will never look back. I had one with the friction lock knobs but it still felt too sloppy for my liking and my groups did open up a bit and were very inconsistant. It may have just been me shooting crappy but I don't think so. In my opinion, the 6"-9" S model with spring loaded extension and locking knotches on the legs is the best one for the money. Obviously the Atlas is better, but it depends on how much you wanna spend. If you do get the Harris, male sure you get the S Model(swiveling) and you may want to get a Pod-Lok to help loosen and tighten the swivel tension while in position. Hope that helps.

oh,by the way, I think the model I am talking about is model# S-BRM, but not sure. Also, if you are wanting to take it off and on it can be a little hard to get it tight enough on the sling swivel by hand to the point that you know it won't turn if bumped. But if you are going to leave it on all the time just tighten it down using an allen wrench on the screw that is in the center of the knurled thumb nut and then you will be good to go. Ever since I did that with mine it has been great.

I'm not a big fan of versa-pods, the model I was familiar with had no friction for swiveling so the gun just pitched wherever, and often ends up falling over because the CG is high.

Harris swiveling leg notch bipods are my favorite. I like the 6-9" bipods but it totally depends, if you want to use the rifle in an area where the grass is really tall all the time you might be better served with a sitting bipod.

For most shooters the 6-9" Benchrest model is the way to go, for anything taller a Manfrotto tripod with a shooting rest on it fits the bill.

Thanks for the advice, sounds like 6-9 for height and maybe the versa is not the way to go.