• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Versatile setup (300wsm); shooting in CO and NC.

K2e2vin

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2014
Rifle is Tikka T3x with 20" 1/10tw barrel.

I live in NC(<1000yds and 200-400ft elevation) and work in CO, but want to start taking mile shots with my rifle. I currently just shoot 180gr-200gr factory ammo but would like to start reloading with heavier ammo(looking at 208gr and/or 225gr ELD, 3.2" coal if needed). If I have my chamber set up for the 225gr, would this basically hinder my ability to run lighter factory ammo(which is where all of my brass comes from)? Any recommendations for other bullets?

Also, using the Berger calculator, it recommends 9twist for the heavier stuff in NC but is perfectly fine with 10twist in CO, would there be any noticeable issues with going to 9twist in the future(like noticeable drift, etc)?

I know there's a lot of compromises, but basically just wondering if my rifle set up for ELR can still fire factory ammo somewhat accurately at lower elevations.

lots of places to stretch it out in NC. I would re-barrel to 300PRC about 26-27 inches and be done. The PRC will be happier with heavy bullets. With a 20" barrel you limit velocity. You would need an insane amount of elevation to get a mile with a 20" barrel. just an amateur opinion....

If you reload(and you should), this is irrelevant when shooting a Tikka. Buy more barrels and the tools to swap them so you can shoot whatever combo’s you want

lots of places to stretch it out in NC. I would re-barrel to 300PRC about 26-27 inches and be done. The PRC will be happier with heavy bullets. With a 20" barrel you limit velocity. You would need an insane amount of elevation to get a mile with a 20" barrel. just an amateur opinion....
Suggestions on where? I normally shoot at Frontline in Warrenton, I haven't found any ranges longer than that unless I go shooting in the mountains on someone's property. I'm running a 20" to keep the rifle compact(I no longer have a truck/van, and I also have a suppressor that's currently in jail that I want to use). I don't think a 300PRC would fit in a Tikka action.
If you reload(and you should), this is irrelevant when shooting a Tikka. Buy more barrels and the tools to swap them so you can shoot whatever combo’s you want
The only thing I don't have is an internal action wrench. I have a vise and everything, but kind of want to avoid the hassle especially since I need to remove the chassis(current barrel has a barrel nut,, but also have Tikka 300wsm and 7RM barrel).

Suggestions on where? I normally shoot at Frontline in Warrenton, I haven't found any ranges longer than that unless I go shooting in the mountains on someone's property. I'm running a 20" to keep the rifle compact(I no longer have a truck/van, and I also have a suppressor that's currently in jail that I want to use). I don't think a 300PRC would fit in a Tikka action.

The only thing I don't have is an internal action wrench. I have a vise and everything, but kind of want to avoid the hassle especially since I need to remove the chassis(current barrel has a barrel nut,, but also have Tikka 300wsm and 7RM barrel).
Wrench flats on the muzzle end, torque wrench with a crows foot wrench… assuming the barrel is thick enough to cut the flats

The 200 fps or so difference in muzzle velocity between 20" and 26" gives less than 4 mils difference in drop at 1800 yards with a 215 Berger. To me that isn't an insane difference.