• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Verticle Split Rings Question

03psd

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2006
Oklahoma
I know the consensus here is that verticle split rings (mount), regardless of brand, are generaly an inferior design to horizontal. I am curious where this leaves those such as Spuhr SP 4001 that are cut on a 45*? I also would like a little background on the mechanics of why the the orientation of the split matters.

Please Note: I am not debating or questioning anyones opinion on this matter, rather simply trying to learn more about it topic. Thanks.

My understanding is that vertical split rings that use the bottom split to also attach to the rail are the problem. Spuhr would not qualify.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
Spuhr and ARC are g2g.

Using anything less is uncivilized.

You can see the difference, it’s not some grey area.

Most of the vertical split rings we are discussing are weak, and cheap and the machining is not there.

They are outta round and flex improperly, spent money for quality products and don’t buy mounts from a vending machine.

If you want quality pay for it, shortcuts are not the answer

If you just want good rings for a good price, Badger is who I use. They aren't cheap but they aren't $400-$600 either (like those slick adj. MOA mounts). They're horizontal, solid as, well, the solid block it's machined from. Their 1 piece mounts are IMO peerless. And if you use a CNVD, they got you covered on proper height rings and mounts.

As for vertical split rings, I hear Lowlight LOVES the Larue QD! Nah, just kidding ya! Don't wanna get banned...