• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Very Happy 40x owner

STR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2010
Miami Florida
I recently purchased a 40x without ever even seeing one in person. Everyone gave them such hype that I just had to see for myself, and the only way to do that was to buy one. I was going to get it, and send it off to convert it to a repeater bedded into a McMillan A5 stock. Plus I figured the original barrel would need replacing by now. Well, when I saw it in person, all of those ideas changed, especially after I shot it. This rifle showed a lot of wear around the receiver area. There is no blueing left on the handle, and the bolt is shiny where it rubs on the internal part of the action. The stock only had one little bump/scratch on it. The blueing on the rest of the rifle is in good condition. I took it to the range, and shot it at 50 and 100 yards. The ammo was Wolf Extra. The wind was about 12 to 15 MPH from the right side, so trying to shoot groups for accuracy testing was a little difficult. Even then, this rifle shot the best of all the .22s I own. This type of accuracy out of rifle as old as it is. The action is incredibly smooth, and feels like a full size Remington 700. The rifle is massive in size just like any full size tactical/target rifle. Now I truly understand why all the hype.

This one will remain in original stock condition, and I will continue to shoot it as often as time permits. I will continue my search for a donor 40x to do the conversion on next year. Money just got a little short for a few months. I did a search, but I'm surely not the best at the search thing, because I didn't find any threads dedicated to just the 40x. I know there's tons of these out there to support a great picture thread of these awesome historic rifles that I'm sure can rival todays modern target rifles.

What do you guys think?

I'm really happy with mine. I had originally intended to put it up for sale this weekend but it shoots so well I just can't part with it.

I had planned on sending it off for a repeater conversion and just can't make myself do it. I figure I'll keep it and teach my kids to shoot with it in the future.

You can keep pretty much everything and still get the conversion... just saying.

I completely understand you, but I appreciate its originality so much, that I feel I'm being unjust by changing any part on this rifle. I'm sure with a little help from a new found freind, and a bit of savings, I'll be able to find one that I would feel better about modifying it. I have a McMillan A5 in woodland colors destined for this full on conversion.

remingtonnews550840xad.jpg

STR, transgendering this jewel in a tact.repeater don't would any good to his accuraycy and beauty, and I really agree about your happiness_ Until maintained in his orig.configuration, I'm sure your "happiness" will not fade, but you can bet that,once mutilated "this", you will find some better suited donor rifle at bargain price...just sayin'

Sinister, that's a great copy of the ad. You don't happen to have a higher res scan do you? I'd love to read the finer print.

STR, transgendering this jewel in a tact.repeater don't would any good to his accuraycy and beauty, and I really agree about your happiness_ Until maintained in his orig.configuration, I'm sure your "happiness" will not fade, but you can bet that,once mutilated "this", you will find some better suited donor rifle at bargain price...just sayin'

That's my thoughts exactly. The worn patina on this rifle is what I appreciate, and don't feel good about changing. The fact that it looks worn but shoots great tells me it was well cared for. I really feel I can get a deal on one that I can strip, send the action to Mike Bush at Blackops for the conversion, and a new match barrel. I can do the Cerakote, and bedding into my A5. That's what I'm thinking, only it may take me forever to find said action where I live. Some guys are surrounded by small pawn shops where these seam to be regular items at affordable prices.

here in europe is common knowledge that the high-end oldest comp. .22 rifles can shoot w.out fear of the newest,space age products of the same brand_ (I've had buyed mine,at bargain price, w. his OEM stock chopped by the previous owner and I'm quite sensitive about that...)_
I really wish you the best satisfactions from your 40X !

I have 5 of these. Two based on the 722 action, one US marked and one USMC marked, a 40XB all original, based on the 700 action. and a barreled receiver with a PT&G bolt.
The last one, I haven't decided what to do with as yet. I'm still putting it together to see how it will shoot. It might get re-barreled or stay as is. I might have it cerocoated as the finish is rough. All of the ones I have shot, shoot as well as any rifle can shoot. I have not seen a 40X series 22lr shoot bad. I have shot more than just my rifles. Maybe 8 different rifles.