• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Very New To Reloading...Help wanted.

srt_1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2008
Steubenville, OH
I've been shooting for quite a while, with the benefit of always having department ammo to shoot. With the current economic problems and some other money issues, I'm now forced to purchase my own ammo.

So I'm thinking it is time to start reloading. With that, I haven't the slightest idea where to start? What should I buy first? What all do I need? I will be reloading for both my .308 and 300 win mag.

Hopefully, you guys will be able to get me started on the right path.

Re: Very New To Reloading...Help wanted.

Chad....thank you. I will be picking up a reloading manuel very soon after reading that post! With any luck, I will be able to get started with in the next few months.

Before you buy anything else, buy the latest edition of Lyman's Centerfire Handloading Manual. I'm sure you are a careful person. But honestly, you really REALLY need to read everything in the book EXCEPT the data specific caliber type chapters. I know that's what you mainly bought it for. But the safety chapters are very important. Remember, you are igniting a small hopefullt controlled explosion inches from your face / eyes and brain.

Then worry about what equipment, supplies and so forth.

Get a load manual and read it first. I got started with an RCBS Rock Chucker kit. Included a press, scale, priming tool, lube and lube pad, chamfer/deburr tool, case neck brushes, primer pocket cleaner, and a Speer reloading manual. Other items I soon needed included powder trickler, calipers, case trimmer, and, of course, dies and shell holders.

RCBS ain't the only one making a kit for people just starting, but I think the tools I mentioned are needed to start. You could wait a bit on the trimmer, but always measure your brass to make sure it's within spec'.

A friend gave me the Lee Modern Reloading Manual...I'll start out reading this and still pick up another manual in the mean time...As I start to purchase equipment what do you suggest, a single state press or a turret press?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BAZ_0157</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what do you suggest, a single state press or a turret press? </div></div>

I started on a Lee turret press loading handgun and rifle ammunition. At the time I was shooting a Remington .308 rifle (with the typical long throat, etc.) and achieving 3/4 MOA accuracy. I would just pull the indexing rod when loading rifle cartridges and use it as a single stage with the turret in place. Then replace the indexing rod for handgun cartridges.

When I got my first custom rifle I bought a RockChucker since I figured the little bit of wobble where the turret fit into the press was probably causing a slight loss of accuracy. I then loaded all my rifle cartridges on the RockChucker, but I did NOT notice any gain of accuracy between my cartridges loaded on the Lee turret or the RockChucker when shooting out of my Remington barreled .308. Out of a custom barrel, your guess is as good as mine.

FWIW, I was able to load approx 100rds/hr of handgun ammunition on the turret press. Never tried it on a single stage.

I would suggest you start with a single stage press. The progressives can be good but you need to reload a lot of ammo to justify the extra expense.

Reading a couple of manuals before doing any other buying is always a good idea.

Im assuming you're not going to be using the reloaded ammo for duty ammo are you?

jersymike...That is correct. I'll still be able to have access to the Fed GMM 168's for duty ammo. I'll be reloading for some of the long range comps I go to.

Also, if anyone could shed some light. Once I find a load the rifle likes, will that load shoot as good with or without the suppressor on? Or will I have to find a load that shoots good through the suppressor too??

The only way to find out is to try it with and without suppressor. I guess that's the fun part of the experiment. Since you are practicing with the handload and use the manufactured ammo. I would try to replicate the best you can to the ballistics of the manufactured ammo. This is so that you know how your ballistics perform under different conditions. No sense of practicing on say 175 SMK, but when the moment of truth comes, you have to use 168 AMAX, or somthing like that. Then all of your DOPEs and practice have little benefits. Just saying.

Regarding reloading equipment, I started with a Rock Chucker Supreme Kit single stage. I suppose one can crank out mass volume with a turret press, but for precision shooting, IMHO, I feel a single press serves me better. But that's just me.

Get a Turret press (which is not the same as a progressive press).

It avoids having to switch dies for every procedure, over and over again. I have the RCBS Turret, and only need to switch Turret heads which can hold 6 dies which never have to be removed. Buy multiple turret heads (1 for each caliber you plan on hand loading) and go. Switching heads is done in a matter of seconds.

as always, thank you all for the great info...Gonna start reading and piecing toghter some equipment...looking forward to my first reload!

i would take a look at the lyman turret press kit w/ a digital scale.

it has everything you need to start reloading

i would also take a look at:
a lee decaping die takes out primers very easily. saves your dies.
rcbs x-die for 308, not small base dies
cabelas tumbler kit, cheap and easy to use
rcbs primer pocket cleaner w/ steel brushes.

also get a hornady manual also. they have some good information about loads in there.
redding powder trickler.

what i did was go to midwayusa.com and read the review on anything i would buy. that help me decide on if it was a good product or not

I never have really understood the advantages of reloading rifle cartridges on a turret press. I mean, with single stage reloading, you swap dies what, maybe once every 100 rounds or more. What does taking one second on a turret vs 20 seconds on a single stage (much less if it's a co-ax) to change a die mean in that case?

On the other hand, if you reload semi-progressive (one cartridge, start to finish, at a time), then you have to be able to do most/all operations on the press, or you'd be back to batch reloading anyway. And if you can do everything on the turret press, then a full progressive press makes much better sense.

A turret press seems to be in that no-man's land between single stage and progressive presses.

FWIW, I load on a co-ax.

Andy