• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Very Rare Smith and Wesson 547 9mm Revolver Vintage

Five7guy

Sergeant
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2012
Mesa, AZ
This thing is in incredible condition and is a rare find for sure. Smith and Wesson model 547 9mm revolver this has a very unique history which I'll put below.

Cash Price is $1540 Shipped and insured

The gun itself is extremely clean and has probably been fired very little I'm guessing it's spent most of its life in the original box which is included along with paperwork cleaning rod etc and the box is fully intact. This is a collectors/investment quality piece for sure.

I'm primarily looking to sell but will consider trades.

-KAC SR15/SR15 uppers NO KEYMOD or complete rifles preferably legacy stuff or Mod 1
-KAC Triple Tap compensator
-Aimpoints
-Colt 6920's preferably the stripped down OEM model
-Colt m4 uppers and bcgs (New)
-Other clone parts Surefire 4 prongs Ras rails etc

Really not looking for anything else besides that.

Here's some info from a web article I found

Smith & Wesson Model 547 - 9mm Revolver
Have you ever seen a 9mm revolver that didn't use moon clips? Now you have. This is the S&W Model 547. It is a heavy barrel, 9mm (9x19) version of the legendary K-frame, 6-shot M&P revolver. S&W made 10,270 of these from 1980-1985; 6486 round with butt (and 3" barrel), and 3784 with a square butt and 4" barrel (as pictured below). Supposedly, this was the most difficult-to-manufacture revolver that S&W ever made.

From what I've been told (from reliable sources) the reason for this revolver's existence comes from the Middle East.

In the late 1970's, the Israelis wanted to arm the Palestinian Police force with a 9mm handgun, but didn't trust them with an autoloading pistol. Instead, they wanted a simple-to-use a revolver chambered in 9mm (and by "simple-to-use", they meant "no-moon-clips"). They contracted with Smith & Wesson to make it for them.

There are two problems that have to be solved before you can make a moonclip-less 9x19 revolver:

1. How do you extract the cases?
  2. How do you keep a tapered cartridge from backing up when fired and locking up the cylinder?
Question #1 - How do you extract the cases? - was answered by Roger J. Curran of Stratford, CT in the form of patent number 4127955 - Extractor assembly for rimless cartridges. Instead of the usual "star" type extractor, the Model 547 features a horn-shaped extractor (see picture 5 above) with small beryllium-copper spring tabs that grab the rim of each case. This assembly is for extraction only; the cartridges headspace on the mouth. The device works really well - I've never had a stuck case.

The second problem - tapered cases backing out and locking up the cylinder - was a familiar one to S&W. This same issue killed the Model 53 (.22 Jet) revolver. S&W overcame this in the 547 by adding a pin (above the firing pin) that prevents the fired case from backing up (see picture 6). This solution seems to be effective, as I've never had the cylinder lock up in all the rounds I've fired. Speaking of firing pins, the one in the 547 is a floating pin. While this is common to most new S&W revolvers, it was unique to the 547 back in the day.

Soon after Smith & Wesson delivered the first shipment of these revolvers, the Israeli government cancelled the rest of the order and instead bought an IMI revolver that was a Model 547 knockoff. S&W released the remaining guns to the civilian market.

Attachments

• 547 1.jpg
    547 1.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 379
  • 547 3.jpg
    547 3.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 473
  • 547 4.jpg
    547 4.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 361
  • 547 15.jpg
    547 15.jpg