• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

vetting a barrel cant POI shift thought exercise

atloo1

Private
Minuteman
I'm vetting my understanding of barrel cant POI shift by explaining it as I understand it publicly 😅.

Preface:
cant: rotation about the optical axis
pitch: the angle between the optical & barrel axes formed by a textbook zero (avoids the confusion of using "scope cant")
CCW: counter clockwise
simple kinematics assumed: the bullet exits the barrel w/ an initial velocity & then only experiences gravity

Framework:
POI shifting from cant is a geometry, not physics, problem. Forces on the bullet in the barrel are independent* of cant angle, thus shooting canted is equivalent to shooting w/o cant from a different position. Cant changes the direction of the barrel axis, assuming pitch exists. A geometric description as to why is available. CCW cant depresses the barrel left & CW cant depresses the barrel right.** Distance magnifies the ensuing POI shifts.

Thought Exercise:
A 0 pitch, parallel zero lets one ignore cant's effect over distance. Such a a zero simplifies, but doesn't remove, cant's effect on horizontal displacement.

* barrel sag, the arc of the rifling experiencing the weight of the bullet, etc. are ignored by assuming a uniform barrel
** between 0 & 90 degrees

Last edited:
sorry but im missing it,

why are you trying to explain something that has been explained 100 times before