• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Viability of .223 as a precision gun

Martens

Private
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2008
Missouri
I just finished building a heavy barrel XCR in .223. The gun has a Magpul CTR stock, the new enhanced trigger group, 16 inch heavy barrel topped off with an IOR 2-12.

In preparation for a training we are hosting I have been running through all the drills with this gun with our practice ammo (wolf 55 grain) to save on the cost over our duty .308. Well, the gun, even with the wolf ammo, has been meeting the standards for the drills, pretty easily.

The more I shoot and handle the gun, the more I think it might make a better precision gun for our mix of urban and rural work. What I like is that it is light and handles better when not using the bipod than my .308. It is flatter shooting than my .308 as well. From 50 to 200 yards, with no dope correction, the point of impact is all within a 2 inch bull. I run an XCR as my patrol rifle and if an XCR was my precision rig was one as well, all of my support gear, mags, go bags, etc will work easily support the precision rig. As I am not full time SWAT/MO, I like the idea that all of my gear, regardless of the mission, will work for either rifle.

The duty ammo we would most likely issue for a .223 precision rig is the 69 grain Federal Gold Medal Match. I have ordered a couple of cases for the department and it will get here when it gets here.

Anyway, is there anything wrong with running a .223 as an urban precision gun. There would still be others on the team with the .308 for times the .223 is not big enough.

Let me know what you think.

Re: Viability of .223 as a precision gun

Since the 223 has been beating the records set by the M14/M1As in Service Rifle matches, I'd say it could hold its own in the recision gun catagory.