• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Viability of a Hunting Scope

Bro Mo

Open-minded Skeptic
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
I'm brand new to this sport and have a Sig Whiskey 5 2-10x. The turrets are capped but seem to track and return well. The reticle is SFP without any subtensions. The first things I'm having difficulty with is remembering what turn I'm on to get back to zero. Other than that, it seems ok. What things should I look out for getting into this using this scope?

It should have revolution line numbers under the turret, if so just memorize how many lines show when the scope is zeroed, if it doesn't have those line's....

I'd seriously consider using a different scope for long range. That scope is designed for hunting at normal 100-200 mid body shots only.

If on a low budget get a Athlon Talos BTR 4-14x44. I've made first round hits out to 1122Y with mine and never get lost on my zero. Also you don't even need to dial if you don't want to because 1 click is easily resolved "in" the awesome holdover reticle.