• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vibram five finger shoes

xNF_9

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2009
Fargo
Just wondering if there is anyone on the site who has tried these. I bought a pair a couple weeks ago and absolutely love them. Running normally I'd have foot pains, knee pains, and hip pains. After running with these for a few days I can feel muscles I've never used before working harder and no pains after running. I'm running about 3-5 miles like I did before with running shoes. I have nothing but good to say about these. Just wondering if someone has had the same experience as I, or maybe they are bad shoes. Please post the good the bad and the ugly if there is any.

Re: Vibram five finger shoes

My wife broke her toe sparing and had to have 5 screws put in her big toe. 6 weeks after the surgery she was stll limping. We happen to walk into a store that had them. As soon as she tried them on she stopped limping. I could not believe it. She loves those shoes.

For some reason they help my balance also it seems. That's awesome. I'm trying to get my wife to get a pair since she has bad arches and not as good knees.

I have a pair of them, and I like them, but I am learning to run barefoot, so I am starting out without the shoes, and will use them later. If barefoot running is not your goal, then, if the shoes work for you, enjoy them! They do make your foot strike more like nature intended it to, so maybe that is why you feel better in them.

I use mine for everything. Lots of trail running. Plus they are great for deadlifts and squats. Great for crossfit to.

They feel great, and are great for things like DL and Squat...as long as you don't drop a 45 plate on your pinkie toe.

I heard an orthopedic surgeon comment once on how they were great for your form, but bad for your knees long term because of their minimal cushioning. Fila just came out with some that have a little more support. Might give them a look.

I've been using a pair of the classics for the last 4 months. I love them, eliminates all my knee pain when running. Another great benefit as someone else has said, my balance has improved a ton. They may not be for everyone, but I'm sold on them.

I bought a set and they feel great. However I pushed a little too hard on my first time out with them. I really smoked my calves.

My normal gait doesn't use my calf muscles as much and I really did a number on them. I limped for three days after.

I will say that all the stress was in my lower legs. I have had pretty extensive knee surgery in the past and that knee usually bothers me until I get warmed up. This time out it didn't at all. I think that is what caused me to push a little harder. That and I was naturally running quite a bit faster than normal.

Looking forward to getting back out on them again.

Ugly as hell though.

Been running in mine for 9months and love them. I just ran a sub 24minute 5k this morning, a lifetime personal best. It's taken almost the entire time to get my calves in shape, but I now have no joint pain. Not bad for a 185#, 45 year old, I think.

Funny looking shoe but they are great. I was warned by a friend that you should wear them a little at a time to get your legs use to them. I love mine.

The funny looks people give you end when you start smokin' people in the gym or on the road. Then they ask you where you bought them.

I have had my pair of sprints for almost three years now and they are still going. I will warn you though, take it easy when you first start wearing them. I decided to go on a three mile run when I first got them, and I could not walk comfortably for a week, and I'm 20. They will strengthen your calves, and raise your arches. They definitely re-teach you how to walk like you were meant to, and you learn real quick to not heel strike. I wear them whenever I can, and I get some funny looks, but I still love them.

My wife and I love ours. We both hate running but these shoes have definitely got us going down the right path. I wear Danners 24/7 and since wearing the 5 fingers I have a hard time wanting to put my Danners back on, it just doesn't feel as natural.

Friend from church wears em all the time other than work....
runs about 4 miles a couple times a week and never complains about them...
To bad they don't make size 15 or I would try them out
Sean

Picked up my first pair of KSOs a couple of days ago and love them so far. I've done 1 and 2 mile runs on a treadmill and feel noticeably better and have run slightly faster. Could be a placebo effect - maybe not. The big thing I noticed is that my legs/joints don't feel as fatigued and the only pain I noticed was along my achilles tendon just below my right calf when I pushed up to 2 miles today (I was doing 4-5 milers in my old shoes and read on multiple sites that you should ease into running in these). I also do all of my lifting in them now and I don't think I've ever had a more comfortable pair of footwear.

Vibrams are very good shoes, if you give them time. As many people said, it is important not to push too hard the first time you use them. Vibrams are unique in the fact that they fit the normal human foot strike pattern. When you were a normal running shoe, they often times influence your foot strike. Having an unnatural foot strike can be very bad, as one could assume. Take it easy in the Vibrams and don't go crazy starting out. Also, try to stay on soft surfaces.

I started doing barefoot training last summer, and almost picked up a pair of Vibrams specifically for it. I however feel very comfortable simply going barefoot. I worked up from half a mile to over 7 miles barefoot in a run. Running barefoot will help to strengthen many more muscles than wearing a regular running shoe. This can be beneficial because it can help prevent leg injuries.

Enjoy the shoes, just don't go too crazy. Slowly start to work into them!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Ugly as hell though. </div></div>

Yeah, no kidding.

I wear Nike Frees for that reason. Not because <span style="font-style: italic">I</span> care that much about how things look, but because the Frees offer similar barefoot effect and are visually acceptable to others. That means I can wear my black Frees at work with no issue. The 5 Fingers would be too 'casual.'

So from what everyone has said is that they are more of a training shoe nothing more. Wearing them as casual wear isn't necessary, but will give you some funny looks. I haven't heard any bad from people on this site yet other then looks. Seems to me like these are a good pair of shoes. I'm hoping someone can have some bad things to say about these shoes because they sound so perfect.
I myself am sold and started a little too hard running with these shoes, but calves are back to normal in a day. Back to running tomorrow looks like.

I have a friend who wears them all the time - i'm not sure he owns a regular pair of shoes any more.

I bought my first pair in 2006 I think. Another friend who owns a gun/outdoor shop called me, and said he had something in I needed to check out. I've almost worn that pair out, and have 3 more pairs to go with them. I run my shorter runs in the five fingers, and switch to my Innov-8 F-lite 195's for my longer runs. I'm sold on the VFF's. Now Fila, Sketchers, and Adidas are too (at least for monetary gain) - they all have a copy or one coming out shortly.

Jacob from SHC this year:

de5a743c.jpg

Cant stop wearing mine, bought them about 3-4 months ago and wear them every day.

I manage a lake, so im in and out of boats,always on the go on nature ground, there so comfortable and dry out really fast if they get wet,superb grip when wet as well.

Cant praise them highly enough, though I do get some very strange looks when people actual notice what Im wearing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARbowhunter7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They feel great, and are great for things like DL and Squat...as long as you don't drop a 45 plate on your pinkie toe.

I heard an orthopedic surgeon comment once on how they were great for your form, but bad for your knees long term because of their minimal cushioning. Fila just came out with some that have a little more support. Might give them a look. </div></div>

I have the FILA skeletoes, and they are excellent. I don't run in them but they are excellent for olympic weightlifting movements. I will use them today for some max hang power cleans. Let's face it - if you drop a 45 on a sneakered foot you're in for the same grief.

In my gym they would simply remark "bro - your stance is too wide."

--Fargo007

If you dont wear finger shoes and Ranger panties then dont come round these parts. But seriously.. hideous and not that great IMO. LaSportiva has some good options for minimalist shoes.

I think they look pretty awesome, but then again I have been around them for quite sometime.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll never wear those ugly ass abominations!!!

I'm satisfied with my new pair of Reebok RealFlex's </div></div>

Some of us worry about looks and others feel. I was put off by the looks at first, but now I find them quite unique. They also help with strengthening. That is why I got involved with them.

i just got a pair of new balance minimus trail shoes. Same kind of thing except im not embarrased to wear them.

great shoe for lifting in.

F peoples opinions of your attire... they're great shoes only issue I have is they almost require you handwash them or risk the tips in the toe cups being funky. I similarly to others have had knee surgeries and forget my knee pain when training in these. If a pair of belleville boots wasn't the uniform I'd wear them all the time.

A.O.R.G.S.-RemiG, I agree with you. I have 4 pairs, and I rotate them, so that I can wash them every 2-3 weeks. That way, they don't get funky at all.

I just put mine in the washer on delicate cycle. Have had no problems doing that and know a bunch of other guys that put them in the washer too.

I had never even heard of Fivefingers until I saw this post. I started doing some research on them and ordered a pair. They arrived today and I had to try them on. I'm amazed at how comfortable they are. Feels a little strange walking in them since I am used to wearing boots or running shoes. Feels like I am standing straighter in them compared to duty boots. Thanks to everyone that offered their comments and input here. I like them already.

+1 for the vibrams, have many pairs in different colors and styles for different occasions! Used to have lower back problems, these straightened me right out.

Definitely try them out, you will get a lot of funny looks but it is worth it, I dare confess I first saw them on a training vid on this site
wink.gif

I bought a pair three months ago to help out with my lower back pain. I have a bulging disc above AND below my L-4; this problem was only worsened by the fact that my left leg is 5mm shorter than my right.

Needless to say, I have eliminated virtually ALL of my back pain. My Pelvis has decided to "fix" the leg length issue and create a "functional short leg" and I am finishing up my 7th week of Couch-2-5K....... PAIN FREE!

I have since bought my second pair of FiveFingers and wouldn't regret buying a third!

I use this analogy a lot when talking to those that are curious. When working on a car, when you need dexterity, do you wear mittens or gloves? Well, I compare wearing conventional shoes to wearing mittens. After switching to my "foot gloves", I am much more agile with more dexterity and control from my feet. The foundation of all of us that walk upright.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcfd2201</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had never even heard of Fivefingers until I saw this post. I started doing some research on them and ordered a pair. They arrived today and I had to try them on. I'm amazed at how comfortable they are. Feels a little strange walking in them since I am used to wearing boots or running shoes. Feels like I am standing straighter in them compared to duty boots. Thanks to everyone that offered their comments and input here. I like them already.</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcfd2201</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had never even heard of Fivefingers until I saw this post. I started doing some research on them and ordered a pair. They arrived today and I had to try them on. I'm amazed at how comfortable they are. Feels a little strange walking in them since I am used to wearing boots or running shoes. Feels like I am standing straighter in them compared to duty boots. Thanks to everyone that offered their comments and input here. I like them already.</div></div>

Man you have no idea, the pain relief and posture correction I have in these is amazing I still have aches and pains probably will for the rest of my life, but I'm certainly better off now then I was 2months ago. Getting a pair of the komodosports next week.

I have the flattest feet in the world, Long ass toes, size 13. Both knees have no ACL or anything holding them together anymore.. Doctor laughed out loud once during exam.. Blown L-5 to S-1.. Would these help me out as much as Im reading? Any advice to size for skinny feet?

thanks

Just picked myself up a set yesterday. I am looking forward to seeing if the performance warrants the hype.

I have always gone to those "specialized" runner's places where they evaluate step and run style with those high tech gadgets. Nothing seems to help my shin splints. I'm excited to see what these five finger shoes will do for me.

chansen, I am not a doctor, but I have been a long distance runner for decades. The five fingers may or may not do anything for you. I think they might at least help your arches reform, and your posture, and spine, but given what you said about your knees, they might not. My suggestion would be to go to a store that has them in a size that fits you, and walk around in the store for a while with them on. I think that might tell you what you need to know. Take someone with you when you do this, so they can observe any changes in your posture, etc., with them on.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Thanks tigerhawk, Found a dealer about 5 miles from home, I'll check them out. Are there socks for these things or no?

Chansen, you are quite welcome. I really hope they help. I wear my Vibram five fingers without socks, but I have 2 pairs, which I rotate, and I machine wash them in cold water when they need it.

Chansen, one more suggestion. Because of your knees, and the fact that these shoes lack cushioning, you probably should wear them only on soft surfaces, at least at first. If or when you see that your knees are ok with these shoes, then, you can gradually work into using them on concrete, etc. The key word is <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">gradually</span></span>.

I've only had mine for 4 days and already love them. I hate having to put my boots on. I look forward to getting home and taking my boots off and putting my Fivefingers on. I really bought them to workout in and they do make a big difference in working out but they feel so good on your feet that I wear them from the time I get home until the time I go to bed now. I'm ordering another pair next week.

If you are really beholden to your five fingers I recommend these boots. I have a pair that I use daily and they rock. They have a minimalist version and that is what I have. They are expensive and custom made but I bet they would outlast most boots that they would eventually pay for themselves. It also takes awhile to get them but are worth it IMHO.
http://www.russellmoccasin.com/new_products/minimalist_footwear.html

I've got a pair of VFF, I love them 100%. I do all my running, except when in uniform, in them.