• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vibratory case cleaner bit the dust - need advice

Known

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2007
Cascade Mountains
Folks,

My old Midway case cleaner model 6029 bit the dust. It was a pretty big unit some I'm looking at the Dillon CV 2001. Has anybody used the Dillon? Should I look somewhere else?

Thanks,

Ed

Re: Vibratory case cleaner bit the dust - need advice

Get a Thumler
http://www.erocktumbling.com/
They are bullet proof. Mine is 15 years old, a few belts and rubber riding wheels replaced and has tumbled 10s of thousands of cases.
Just about bullet proof.

Buy the dillon.

Re: Vibratory case cleaner bit the dust - need adv

I just bought a spare one from Harbor Freight this week. It's listed as a metal polisher but will work with corn cob. $42.95 + tax.
larryj

+1 for Thumler

Ed,
Find out why it took a crap. My Lyman bit it a few weeks ago. Turns out it was merely the eccentric weight on the bottom shaft. Slipped it back on, used some expoxy, and she's running like a champ. Do you still hear the motor/fan turning? If so, check the eccentric weight!

Ken J

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: larryj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought a spare one from Harbor Freight this week. It's listed as a metal polisher but will work with corn cob. $42.95 + tax.
larryj </div></div>

I completely agree, that's the one I got. I got lucky and walked in on the weekend that they had their spring cleaning sale, everything was 20% off. With tax I walked out for 50 bucks and I got 25# of walnut media with it.

I vote Dillon as well. This is built way better than the other case cleaners that I have had in the past. Even the "nut" that goes on the lid is wider, I can spin it off (shaped like a big star), and the bottom of it has a rubber washer type thing so it does not make noise. Just those little things like that in the design and build make a huge difference in quality.

I've had my Dillon since '95, and put many miles on it. It doesn't run 'hot' in my opinion.

I've no issues with it at all, except that I've recently learned that Ultrasonic Cleaning is considerably better, IMO.

Now, my 'rattle rounds' go in the tumbler, and my 'precision rounds' get Ultra'd.

(just the brass, not the live rounds)

I'm not aware of any bad Dillon products.

I have been using the Dillon CV-2001 for about 5 years. Zero problems and I use it quite a bit. I am certainly happy with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1SMALLJOHNSON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ed,
Find out why it took a crap. My Lyman bit it a few weeks ago. Turns out it was merely the eccentric weight on the bottom shaft. Slipped it back on, used some expoxy, and she's running like a champ. Do you still hear the motor/fan turning? If so, check the eccentric weight!

Ken J </div></div>

This. We're reloaders, we don't just go and buy something when we hit a snag! My FA tumbler took a dump about a month ago, the motor wasn't running so I took a look under the hood. One of the wires snapped off of the blade connector. Just a bit of wire stripping and electrical tape and it's back up and running. Seems to be a common problem with these models.

Take a look. I don't think you can break it any more at this point
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PadronAniversary</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I vote Dillon as well. This is built way better than the other case cleaners that I have had in the past. Even the "nut" that goes on the lid is wider, I can spin it off (shaped like a big star), and the bottom of it has a rubber washer type thing so it does not make noise. Just those little things like that in the design and build make a huge difference in quality. </div></div>

I'd tell you take a look at the Harbor Freight model. It has a butterfly nut on the top spindle that I can flick once and it spins down the rod, just a little hand tightening finishes the job. The bowl sits on a rubber pad like you said, and it makes little noise unless it's either super full or mostly empty. With a normal case load (150 06's or 300 pistol cases) it's relatively quiet.

+1 Harbor freights, its cheap so no tears when it finally dies, not to mention with all the lead we are adding to the system who cares about the lead China manufacturing has managed to get into it.

+1 on the Dillon. Be warned that it is a big sob and eats space in the reloading area. I really wasn't prepared for how big it is.

AG in NC

There are Thumlers and then there are the rest. When it is designed to polish 25 pounds of ROCKS, brass cases are a ho-hum. "Ask the man who owns one."
Steel and thick rubber and made by AMERICANS!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans Gruber</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1SMALLJOHNSON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ed,

Ken J </div></div>

This. We're reloaders, we don't just go and buy something when we hit a snag! My FA tumbler took a dump about a month ago, the motor wasn't running so I took a look under the hood. One of the wires snapped off of the blade connector. Just a bit of wire stripping and electrical tape and it's back up and running. Seems to be a common problem with these models.

Take a look. I don't think you can break it any more at this point
smile.gif
</div></div>

You are correct - I plan to dig around and try to fix the one I have. The motor is not running but it's putting out heat. I'll bet I could get a replacement from Grainger if it's really messed up. However, I'm off on a business trip so I want a working cleaner when I get back. I'll turn this into a spare.

Dillon 550 -

I can repair the old one tho - they are usually easy to fix ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a Thumler
They are bullet proof. Mine is 15 years old, a few belts and rubber riding wheels replaced and has tumbled 10s of thousands of cases.
Just about bullet proof.</div></div>

Any idea how fast these are compared to the vibratory cleaners?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sacshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a Thumler

Any idea how fast these are compared to the vibratory cleaners? </div></div>

Good thing about that one is you can use liquid, stainless or ceramic media+walnut or corn cob. With the stainless or ceramic with liquid it even gets the primer pockets and inside cases

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LuvMuscle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sacshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a Thumler

Any idea how fast these are compared to the vibratory cleaners? </div></div>

Good thing about that one is you can use liquid, stainless or ceramic media+walnut or corn cob. With the stainless or ceramic with liquid it even gets the primer pockets and inside cases</div></div>

Can you tell me more about the ceramic with liquid? Does the liquid weaken the brass over time (does it contain ammonia)? I assume one has to let the cases dry? Is this a method I should consider or is walnut media in a vibratory cleaner still the most practical method?

Stainless steel media with a gallon of hot water and 2tbs of dish soap. Works just as good as my ultrasonic cleaner if not better. 3-4 hours tumble.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrb572</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stainless steel media with a gallon of hot water and 2tbs of dish soap. Works just as good as my ultrasonic cleaner if not better. 3-4 hours tumble. </div></div>

Where do you get the media?

PM suasponte he hooked me up with the guys email address. Oh yah it takes 5 pounds of media.

The guy is super nice was more than willing to help. suasponte and the gentleman he gave me the email for.

SDC10174.jpg

Before and after the inside is as clean as the outside. Out of a Thumlers Model B

No idea, it's the only one I have ever owned. I fill it up with media, a few chunks of Rouge and cut up dryer sheets. Run it overnight usually.

Bought my first Lyman 1200 in '84 and run it until 2003 when it started running slower. Didn't like how the second one run so sold both and bought a Dillon CV500 in Dec of 2005. Figured it the best bang for my buck with their quality and customer service.

Worked great but what a POS for the 100 bucks compared to $50 models. First motor lasted 11 months(Nov of 06). Paid $13 and change to ship it insured to Dillon. They installed a new motor as warranty was 1 yr. One month later motor started running slow than faster etc. Contacted Dillon and they wanted me to ship it back but didn't offer to pay for it. After a couple of emails they were satisfied I could replace the motor so sent another. Third motor took a shit in March of this year. Motor assembled in Mexico and bearings are made in China!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contacted Dillon explaining situation. One line response that motor had 1yr warranty ONLY and replacement was $39.95 shipped. Further explanation on motor lifespan and another 1 fuckin line response that their manufacturer warranted motors for 1 YEAR ONLY and that is it, PERIOD. A couple of other emails trying to convince them that on my disability income I bought their higher priced vibrator because I assumed quality/customer service was better than all the cheap Midway, Frankford Arsenal, Lyman's etc. Explained that even a discounted price would make me a "happy camper" and a satisfied customer and good advertising on the internet, friends etc. Tried to explain that all others only had a 1yr warranty but were half the price and I bought a Dillon thinking/assuming they used better componets because the purchase price was higher. Finally received another basically 'one line' response that I was trying to black mail/extort a new motor and that they hoped I was happy with another brand!!! Told me to pound sand in so many words.

Tried explaining the best I could and perhaps could have worded things different but I am not a journalist/writer. Got frustrated because I would wait 4-5 days for a one line, no explanation horseshit customer service response. I bought an RCBS because they have a 2yr warranty on motor. That 550B will never happen now nor will any other Dillon product on my property!!!!!!! After my experience you couldn't give me a Dillon!!!!

Motors? My Thumler has the same motor it did when new 15 years ago. Buy quality, it's cheaper in the long run.
Things that vibrate break, things that turn don't.
That why turbines and electric motors rotate.

I've got a Midway vibratory tumbler that I've had to break open twice to repair. The power wires coming in from the wall have broken right at the quick disconnect. The second time it happened, I pulled the QD and environmentally spliced the wires together. Makes repair slightly more difficult, but should last for a lot longer.

I use crushed walnut hulls with about a dime to quarter size glob of Mother's chrome polish and tumble until they're clean. On freshly fired rounds, the tumble time is usually an hour. But I agree with Mr. Humble -- the less vibration included in the design, the better the machine should work and the longer life your should see.

253-218-9087 This lady in seattle has a bunch of thumbler tumbler units she got on some close out. I got thos off Seattle Craigslist. Don'y know if she has any left or not. Jeff

If you get the Model B get the high speed. It has a 1/30HP motor and the regular one is only 1/50HP. $161 at Buffalo Arms for the high speed`

just looked at the web site?
Which thumbler for brass?

Call midway and tell them what happened.
They replaced mine fer nuthin.....

" The motor is not running but it's putting out heat. I'll bet I could get a replacement from Grainger if it's really messed up."

Your problem will be an easy fix. Take it apart far enough you can get to the motor bearings and oil them. Best oil I've found is Automatic Transmission Fluid from Walmart'a auto lubes section. (Do NOT use WD-40, it gums up fast!)

All the tumbler motors use two sintered bronze bearings on the shaft. When the oil dries, as any liquid eventually will, it turns gummy. Then it will eventually seize the shaft. So long as the motor hums and gets hot, the windings are okay and a simply "lube" job fixes things. But, if the motor isn't turning and no longer hums nor gets hot, the windings are shot; you must replace the motor.

Those are very common, inexpensive induction type motors used in many bath and kitchen hood exhausts, etc. Remove your motor and take it to an electric supply house. (Some Lowes/Depots have them too.) Have them find you a replacement motor that has the approximate same amperage and same, or nearly same, diameter shaft (so your shaft weight will fit or can be drilled to fit) and has mounting holes that match yours. Price will, or should, be between $12 and $25 dollars, depending mostly on how bad they want to stick it to you! Anyway, it will still be a LOT less costly than buying a whole new tumbler just to get a new cheap motor!
-----------------------------------------------

"I bought (Dillon's) higher priced vibrator because I assumed quality/customer service was better than all the cheap Midway, Frankford Arsenal, Lyman's etc."

So, sadly and once again, the invalid concept of "you get what you pay for" gets burned. We may never get more than we pay for but we sure can get less because price is NOT a valid indicator of "quality."

Tumblers aren't rocket science and there are no secrets to making good ones. Paying excessive prices (for anything) seems to buy noting but bragging rights. I don't care for bragging, much rather get usefulness than bragging for my money!

I have NO Dillon gear, but do have some of everything else, including some brands long gone. Have used some Dillon stuff and liked what I used as well as my other gear, but it's really no better. Blue stuff sure isn't worth what it would cost me just to be able to talk about it!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dave338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just looked at the web site?
Which thumbler for brass? </div></div>

If you want to used liquid, ceramic or stainless media get the model B high speed model. If just using walnut or corncob the UV18. I have both + a model T I used to coat bullets. I love them

When my Midway one died they paid shipping both ways, sent me a new one and sent me a $20 gift card. I was happy.

All,

Thanks for all the advice. I decided to go with the Dillon since I like the vibratory cleaners.

I went with the large 2100 unit and am very pleased with the quality. The motor housing looks like it was machined from a billet - much better than what I had on my Midway unit. The motor is made in Japan which tells me the folks at Dillon were looking for quality and not the lowest cost provider. Sure, a U.S. made motor would have been nice but I consider the Japanese our friends in comparison to the Chinese.

Other nice touches included a cordset with a very robust looking made in USA switch. The lid has a rubber gasket that seals everything up. The unit is very quiet.

I also got the media separator from Dillon as well. Again a quality unit and much better than the RCBS unit I bought about a year ago.

I have had good luck with the big Lyman.....2500 i think?

Keep in mind Dillons No BS warranty does not apply to tumblers or scales etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kinsman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call midway and tell them what happened.
They replaced mine fer nuthin..... </div></div>

Yep. I'm on my second one.

My first Frankford Arsenal died after 6 months. I did use it a ton and most of the time let it run over night. They replaced it no hassle, but I paid for shipping to them. Unfortunetly the replacement they sent we was broke from the get go. Contacted them and they replaced that one and it's been going for a couple months. At the time the price was what I was most concerned. If this one dies I'm going to strongly look at the big Dillon model. All depends on how rich I feel at the time.

My FA tumbler died, bought a new, similar unit from Harbor Freight. First time used, it walked off the table and self-destructed before I found it. I now have a Lyman 2500, all's right with the reloading world for me...