• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Vice block for an AR

required_user_name

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2020
Need to add a muzzle device to an AR, and am trying to decide between between the common Magpul BEV block and this NCStar contraption I found on Amazon. My sense is that even though the NCStar device has lots of surface contact with the inside of the upper receiver, it falls short because it doesn't have the "bolt" portion like the BEV does to lock up against the barrel extension. Also, NCStar tends to make low end stuff, so it's a gamble. Am I thinking about this right?

Just looked into it. I'm sold. Thanks!

Reaction rod or "super" reaction rod? Not sure what that extra $50 is buying me for the super version.
Well, it's really for aiding in over torqued barrel nuts and such. If it was me is buy the super but I think the regular would also be just fine. I have the regular one, if they had the super when I bought mine inwoukd have chose that.

Reactions: required_user_name
Midwest URR. Takes the pressure off your index pin slot on the receiver.

I would suggest a barrel vise. That way your gripping the barrel alone and no forces are being applied to the upper whatsoever.

I'm in the process of making one now that has a V-Block for the base. LRI makes one of the nicest I've seen. But like GH41 said, if you have a vice, then you already have what you need to grip the barrel. Check this out:

$25 and it is worth every penny when it comes to muzzle devices and torquing barrel nuts. I have this exact set and use it all the time. Just throw these in your vise and the softer aluminum won't mar your barrel.

Last edited:
Tools that engage the lugs should NOT be used to R&R muzzle devices. If you have a vise to hold a BEV or reaction rod you already have what you need to R&R muzzle devices...

Uh, a reaction rod does contact the lugs in the barrel extension. It's the whole point, it's how it works. Seriously, don't know how I got along without it or why it took so long for someone to come up with it.

A muzzle device shouldn't be that hard to get off. Hit it with a propane torch for a bit and go at it. If you know it's been installed with Rocksett, then soak it in very hot water, let it sit overnight in the water, replace it with hot water and wait a few moments and then remove it (be sure to prevent water from going down the bore and make sure to dry and lube everything after). People over tighten these all the time though but when they go back on they shouldn't be over torqued, especially when a thread locker is used. Fucks up accuracy. Several suppressor mfg.'s have told me this regarding QD mounts.

So I have a few different items at hand. The Geissele reaction rod for sure. Super or not? I think regular is sufficient. I've used it for some pretty difficult jobs and it's never let me down. The Super allows you to pre-load the receiver (what it looks like is threaded spreaders accessible through the ejection port so it doesn't slide off or move). Not so sure I'd spend the extra $75 on that unless I was literally taking multiple rifles apart daily or I owned a gunsmith shop and did a lot of work with stuck barrels. For installation and 99% removal, the regular one is just fine.

I have a clamshell too because I'm old enough I guess. It has limited uses and the reaction rod is better in almost ever instance.

What is useful are a set of barrel vice inserts. The rectangular blocks with a v cut in one side? Sometimes you just need to be able to clamp a barrel. And not all barrels are AR barrels... Some you can make, some you can't. I'd order a set of cheap plastic barrel vice inserts when you get the reaction rod.

A few pieces of scrap plywood cut about 1-2 x 4-5 inches or so and various thicknesses and a few scrap wood blocks. A cut up thick leather belt. These can be used for barrels or for holding odd shaped receivers in the vice by stacking the wood and leather between the vice and the receiver. I've built entire rifles using this as the only means for holding the upper for barrel installation.

Now the reaction rod is a pretty simple tool, I mean VERY simple, so if you do find a better deal on another one I probably wouldn't worry provided it's made of strong steel (I've heard of some cheap ones breaking) and fits well. $99 (minus any discount you get for sales or what have you) ain't that bad for a quality tool though. Never had a problem or broken lugs or anything.

This^^^

Right on the money. There's a lot of different ways to skin this particular cat. The moral being that you want to have the barrel being held by the vise not the upper. The V-Blocks mentioned are great because you can use them for many different barrel diameters and contours.

ETA: The blocks that hold the upper/lower via the push pins are more for holding them in a steady position while you are building/working on them. As in holding them firm and still while installing the forward assist, dust cover, bolt catch, etc...

So you can have both hands free to work with the small parts that like to sometimes go flying across the room.

I would suggest a barrel vise. That way your gripping the barrel alone and no forces are being applied to the upper whatsoever.

I'm in the process of making one now that has a V-Block for the base. LRI makes one of the nicest I've seen. But like GH41 said, if you have a vice, then you already have what you need to grip the barrel. Check this out:

$25 and it is worth every penny when it comes to muzzle devices and torquing barrel nuts. I have this exact set and use it all the time. Just throw these in your vise and the softer aluminum won't mar your barrel.
Barrel vise are for bolt guns. In order to use it with an AR you have to take off the gas block and gas tube and basically deconstruct the entire upper. With a reaction rod you simply remove the BCG and slide it in.

Thank goodness for the videos cause there so many tools at Real Avid. The quick videos attached in the product's description helps to show you how to use it in under a minute.
So for a first time builder like me it is super helpful

I'll say it again... A reaction rod is the wrong tool to R&R a muzzle device. It holds the barrel extension not the barrel. If you use it enough time you will unscrew the barrel from the extension. Ask me how I know.

Follow up. That video recommends the Midwest Industries URR, which is I found for 20% cheaper than other places at Little Creek trading.

Reactions: wvlapua
Final follow up. As I mentioned in a previous post, I bought the Midwest URR. I used it recently and it locks up tight with the upper receiver and barrel extension. Great piece of equipment. It's worth the extra money in my opinion to get this and ensure that you are spreading the torque.

Reactions: DustBun