• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Video about using mil-dots

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
I received a link to this video from the NSSF in my email today.
It makes understanding the use of mil dot reticles a little easier for this civilian.
A question for you mil guys and others who have mastered using this reticle- is the info in this video accurate?

Jim

Re: Video about using mil-dots

Nice video, I enjoyed it..

Thanks..

Thats a very good video, it is always good to practice ranging a target. Thanks for puting it up.

Very good intro to understanding mils.
And accurate information....... except dont fudge numbers a lil bit in my opinion carry a calculator and be exact. At extended ranges a lil fudging will be alotta missing
And lastly Mildots are great for ranging if you have no batteries or something. But GET A LASER and save time and effort. Use mils to call follow up shots and for hold over shots.

I hate that guy. See how nice he makes circles, and stright lines? I can't even make a circle "connect" without a compass.
smile.gif

A mil is 3.438 MOA, not 3.375. That number comes from using compass mils, using 6400 to a circle. Reticles (excepting one obsolete model) use 6283 mils to a circle. While is is not much of a differance, it does add up when you start calculating holds.

Good catch, Cory! That's the third time that I've heard a 'Sniper school instructor' repeat what he heard taught to him and end up being incorrect.

1 Mil = 3.6" at 100
1 MOA = 1.047" at 100
3.6 divided by 1.047 = 3.438

Mils to MOA - multiply by 3.438
MOA to Mils - divide by 3.438

Thanks for the kind words about the video guys! We plan on making many more so please please please feel free to contact me at [email protected] to share your input and ideas for future topics and videos.

Now, as for the comment,
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: "Graham"</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> "That's the third time that I've heard a 'Sniper school instructor' repeat what he heard taught to him and end up being incorrect."</div></div>
CoryT and Graham are both correct. However, I ask that you watch the whole video and see that I explain essentially what CoryT pointed out at about 15:50. We already made a long (very long for youtube standards) video and tried to keep it as simple as possible. Mind you, we are looking to educate the novice shooter that may have never heard of how to use mils and not experts - so, we need to present as accurate of information as possible without getting so involved as to confuse a new shooter. Which is exactly why I would love to have you guys send me your input on future videos!

Regarding the actual number of minutes of angle in 1 milliradian actually being 3.438, the following is what I say in the video. Notice how I start with the very common assumption is that there are 3.375 moa per mil (because, I too hear many "instructors" repeat this and this is the most quoted number I hear from students) and then show how that is not precise. I try not to get too into the numbers (I don't do a very good job) because what invariably ends up happening is confusion about numbers and less focus on the rest of the lesson.

Seriously, thanks again guys. Keep up the great work on the "hide."

From the video:
"Most people end up saying that a minute of angle is 3.375 moa per 1 mil. . . this number was calculated off of assuming that a circle has 6400 mils. . . well, its actually a little bit less. . . the true number is around the 3.4 range but the point of the story is that this (pointing to 3.375) isn't precise so I like to just use the easier number (pointing to 3.5)"

Cleck, thanks for the post. I should add that the video is informative and that you appear to be very well-spoken. Glad to see you posting here, and Welcome!

I thought the video was nicely done overall. I did note the use of 3.5, but I would question the reasoning for bringing up 3.375 at all.

Simply state that a circle has 6283.4 mils in a circle, rounded to 6283. Divide 21600 (MOA in a circle) by 6283 and you get 3.438 mils in a MOA.

Now, if you want to explain that for a compass, 6283 is a pretty annoying number to work with, so the US decided to put 6400 in a circle, etc., that's fine. Printing that 3.375 just perpetuates the myth, too many will just see what you wrote, missing the "about 3.4..."

This is a lot like explaining a MOA is 1.047", not 1" at 100 yards.

Still, well done and I look forward to seeing more.

That helped this new shooter. Thanks for the info.

Cant wait to get home and watch the video, my place of employment blocks youtube and other media streaming websites due to security issues.

I am new to shooting also and have been planning on ordering a mildot master for my new scope/rifle combo.

While I dont necessarily understand how to use/incorporate MOA to my shooting, hopefully this video will help me learn.

It is a very informative video and I have watched it several times. It certainly helped me understand quite a bit more than I did before. Thank you Cleck for passing on your knowledge to others.

Quick newb question, but I understand 36''=1 yard so 1x1000/ however many mildots will give you yardage.

How do you measure, say 12'' or 1 foot?

Also, if you look on the mildot master website, they are doing the same calculations using 36'' per 2.5 mils, etc.

Why are they aiming the crosshairs at the bottom of the torso but on Cleck's video he is aiming at the feet? Does it matter?

Very educational video sir, I am glad I stumbled upon this...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CleanMoostang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quick newb question, but I understand 36''=1 yard so 1x1000/ however many mildots will give you yardage.

How do you measure, say 12'' or 1 foot?

Also, if you look on the mildot master website, they are doing the same calculations using 36'' per 2.5 mils, etc.

Why are they aiming the crosshairs at the bottom of the torso but on Cleck's video he is aiming at the feet? Does it matter?

Very educational video sir, I am glad I stumbled upon this...</div></div>

You could use inch's ht(in)x27.778/Mils=Dist(yd), or ht(in)x25.4/Mils=Dist(m)

Also when your milling a target you just have to use a height that you know for it to be accurate. Don't expect it to be accurate your first time. Good practice is mil ranging before you hit it with the laser. Also try the demo's on this website out for ranging and how to apply that to your shooting.
Shooter Ready Demo's

Very glad that I took the time to read this post and watch that vid. Definately something I need to practice because my current rangefinder only goes out to ~400yds.

Now, can anyone tell me some useful hints for ranging targets such as groundhogs? I know ranging smaller objects is harder to do, especially groundhogs that differ in size, but I can't afford the rangefinder that I want yet and need something to work with until then. Would using the distance from the chucks shoulder to the top of its head work alright? Any estimates on how many inches that might be on average for an eastern/Ohio chuck?

Sorry for asking so many questions! And thank's for any answers.

I really like the video and thought it did its job of educating novices to the concepts quite effectively. I teach a hunting marksmanship class and teaching to that level can be tough when you know more. I learned additional ways of explaining the concepts and will likely use some of it myself.

Thanks for the video.

RB

Good concise video. Can't see myself taking the time (which you may not have hunting)to do some of that math in the field. If you've got the time its cool though. Otherwise zap it with a ranger!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael Riley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very glad that I took the time to read this post and watch that vid. Definately something I need to practice because my current rangefinder only goes out to ~400yds.

Now, can anyone tell me some useful hints for ranging targets such as groundhogs? I know ranging smaller objects is harder to do, especially groundhogs that differ in size, but I can't afford the rangefinder that I want yet and need something to work with until then. Would using the distance from the chucks shoulder to the top of its head work alright? Any estimates on how many inches that might be on average for an eastern/Ohio chuck?

Sorry for asking so many questions! And thank's for any answers. </div></div>

Most of the whistlepigs I've seen haven't stood erect long enough to range without a rangefinder. I think a better ideal would be range several known objects in the field where you're hunting and then use those objects as a reference when you spot a groundhog.