• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Video - AX338 to 2000m for the Larry Vickers Tactical Channel

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Here is the video of the 1 Mile shot and 2000m Shot we did with the AX338.

Insane 2000m Shot with AX338 from Mile High Shooting - YouTube

Some background on the rifle, it was a PSR Rifle with a NF BEAST Scope.

Originally the rifle was zeroed on Sunday for the 250gr Scenars, and during the shoot I was using 300gr Scenars and the MV was only 2750fps which was a bit slow for the shots, so we had to adjust based off the changes in ammo we made at the last minute.

As noted in the video, at 2000m we used .3, .6 and .9 mils of wind to hit the target, each shot was a different hold. As well I was holding over 7 mils in the scope as the elevation topped out at 23 Mils, I needed about 31 Mils to hit at 2000m

We had no prior work up, those shots are cold, on demand so to speak. We didn't get in any practice shots, what you see on the video was the way it happened.

Be sure to Subscribe to Larry Vickers Tactical Channel to see more of us and Larry shooting precision rifles out to distance.

https://www.youtube.com/user/VickersTacticalInc

Pretty good for wingin' it with last minute ammo changes on top of the usual challenges. I need to try and get down there next year for that XLR class.

I wouldn't say we "winged it" but we certainly could have done more to set up the shots ahead of time. We didn't have dope, we took no practice shots before hand at those targets. We had no work up on the rifle other than zeroing it (with the wrong ammo) So the odds of getting a 1st round hit were not in our favor.

The rifle could have used a mount with more cant built in, the BEAST has 36 Mils of elevation, the scope was maxed out at 23, so I was holding off, and because we only had basic data the computer was off by over a mil at 1 mile which was a pain in the ass.

All in all, it's a realistic depiction of what is link shooting that far for a 1st time shooter. Then factor in the wind, the changes, we used 3 different holds for 3 hits ... never fun. And spotting that far is not easy. Walt is a Pro so it made life much easier ...

Maybe we have different definitions of winging it, Frank =)

No pre confirmed dope at those distances, a zero for different ammunition, no practice rounds...it certainly fits my definition and you guys still pulled it off! How much cant is built in on the PSR? I've got 30 MOA built into the MRAD and I'm thinking about adding a 20MOA riser rail or getting a SPUHR with another 20 built in. I'd imagine the more the merrier at those distances.

The PSR has 30MOA the base had 0, which was not ideal, I believe Hakan is making a 15 MOA version, it definitely needed at least that much more to be ideal for shooting that far.

They are also making a 60MOA I believe ... (Spuhr)

I noticed you were pouring water on the blazing hot suppressor. Is this OK to do with a titanium suppressor? Here in the blazing heat, even with a mirage cover, the suppressor mirage starts to really kill visibility.

Looked like a good time. I wouldn't quite say it's like a lottery, but there is definitely alot of variables involved. Both my shooting partner and I have had first round hits at 2k multiple times, and we have also had 5+ in a row hits. Other times it feels like chasing your own tail because it's miss after miss because of the wind. Ammo has a lot to do with it at that range, and if your load isn't great it will really show in elevation. It sounds like you just threw a load together. It's definitely hard, but with the right conditions and experience it's not just a 'lottery' shot.

Ammo has a lot to do with it at that range, and if your load isn't great it will really show in elevation. It sounds like you just threw a load together. It's definitely hard, but with the right conditions and experience it's not just a 'lottery' shot.

I don't think they loaded anything. Sounds like they zero'd the gun with 250gr Lapua, ran out, and shot the video using 300gr that the gun wasn't zero'd for, and without having done any workup or dope confirmation at different distances. I took the 'lottery' comment to refer to the likelihood of getting a first round hit at 2000m or even at a mile, in field conditions, on the first or even second round.

I don't think they loaded anything. Sounds like they zero'd the gun with 250gr Lapua, ran out, and shot the video using 300gr that the gun wasn't zero'd for, and without having done any workup or dope confirmation at different distances. I took the 'lottery' comment to refer to the likelihood of getting a first round hit at 2000m or even at a mile, in field conditions, on the first or even second round.

Can't imagine factory ammo being too great at that long of distance! So that's some good shooting

Cool video, but you guys make my head explode with all the mix-and-match of distance, size and angular measurements ....
    Distance to the targets was in miles, yards and meters
    The target sizes are in inches and meters
    The misses were announced in feet
    The hold-overs are in MILS but the group size is described in MOA
    The scope maxes out in MILS but requires a base slanted in MOA

Are you guys just rubbing it in that variety is the salt of life? LOLOL

The main thing: the shooter and spotter were on the same page - and that's what all counts ;)

We didn't run out of 250s we just went with the 300s instead. Because of the conditions we felt it might help a bit especially with the wind.

It was 2 sub MOA targets with a factory set up including factory ammo.

The lottery was regards 1st round hit on demand, with no prep. We mentioned the class at Gunsite because we did talk about the value of instruction in a different video. As I noted I have taken their XLR Class 3x and know it possible to work up and be consistent however stone cold with no work up, it's not as easy as dropping down and hitting like inside 1000 yards. If we wanted it too look perfect we could have spent a day doping the rifle, or they could have just edited it too look better. But what you saw was how it went. When you consider we used .7 to hit at 1 mile and .3, .6, & .9 to hit at 2000m that shows you the variation we dealt with.

the mix of units was due to the people there, Gunsite uses meters on some ranges yards on others, and with 3 different backgrounds you'll get even more variety

How was the image through your scope? Were you at max mag? The spotter showed plenty of mirage but that was probably maxed along with the camera being maxed, I'm curious if you saw any mirage through your scope, with the suppressor looking like it was running hot to top?

I was powered down, I never shoot on Max power...

The mirage was pretty bad, not so much in the beginning with the suppressor but after, it got hot.

AZ is pretty bright so conditions are not always optimal

That is some remarkable shooting, especially at 2KM. Thank you for sharing. With Christmas around the corner maybe an XLR session would fit nicely under the tree, hopefully my wife will agree.

Last edited:
    Good video. My 3 year old watched it and kept saying" there's daddies gun"

Keep the videos coming........send it lowlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mounts that works with Beast is availible at 0, 20 and 40 moa.
    We are soon making a 62 moa long range mount that not will work with Beast but with The majority if 34mm scopes

I watched the video and am still trying to figure out what it shows other than 3 old shits practicing the time honored grunt tactic of accuracy by volume. Can Larry vickers even get behind a weapon anymore in the prone and exactly what tier one drill is this supposed to replicate? Did anyone here notice they put frank on the weapon as to create some distance between the vickers channel and this abomination of a display. Just keep pulling the trigger frank...you'll get some hits eventually. I have to say something positive so here it goes, it is a pretty rifle.

Almost forgot...there's a guy on YouTube making hits at 1000 with an iron sighted Nagant. 250.00 with ammo. Maybe he'll sign up to give to give the three stooges some lessons. I wonder if Walt and Larry at least had the decency to give frank a reach around after the fucking they gave him. Need to change this from snipers hide to bitches throwing lead.

Almost forgot...there's a guy on YouTube making hits at 1000 with an iron sighted Nagant. 250.00 with ammo. Maybe he'll sign up to give to give the three stooges some lessons. I wonder if Walt and Larry at least had the decency to give frank a reach around after the fucking they gave him. Need to change this from snipers hide to bitches throwing lead.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or rude as I have never seen you post before.

Let me ask you this. How many times do you get a first round hit at 2000 meters? That's twice the distance the guy with the mosin is hitting and that's a tough shot at 1000.

They could have easily edited the video to make it look like a first round hit if they wanted to.
    How many shots should he have been able to hit to deem it impressive to you?

I for one thought it was cool.

Ain't nothing but a thing,

We could have spent a ton of time working it up, "which is the right thing to do" and how 1st round hits are made possible, or we could show just how tricky it can be...

I can easily shoot a target at 600, 800, or 1000 yards with the 338, miss, see my splash and correct hitting with the second round. Or as been noted we could have easily edited the video to show a single miss, my correction and the two hits in a row, followed by a miss at 2000m with 3 hits . That would be keeping in line with people who want to pretend they are something they are not or can do something they can't.

We grabbed a rifle off the shelf, factory ammo, and NO DOPE.... it was zeroed and we went stone cold at 1760 on a 16" wide target. The computers were off on elevation, the wind was switching back and forth (remember 3 hits at 2000m with 3 different holds) and showed how difficult the shots actually is, especially when the bullet was going transonic.

Next time I will be sure to insist we edit it to look like rock stars, no misses and just the hits. Hell I have Final Cut I will re-edit to make it look better LOL

I watched the video and am still trying to figure out what it shows other than 3 old shits practicing the time honored grunt tactic of accuracy by volume. Can Larry vickers even get behind a weapon anymore in the prone and exactly what tier one drill is this supposed to replicate? Did anyone here notice they put frank on the weapon as to create some distance between the vickers channel and this abomination of a display. Just keep pulling the trigger frank...you'll get some hits eventually. I have to say something positive so here it goes, it is a pretty rifle.

Pretty funny.

We could have spent a ton of time working it up, "which is the right thing to do" and how 1st round hits are made possible, or we could show just how tricky it can be...

I can easily shoot a target at 600, 800, or 1000 yards with the 338, miss, see my splash and correct hitting with the second round. Or as been noted we could have easily edited the video to show a single miss, my correction and the two hits in a row, followed by a miss at 2000m with 3 hits . That would be keeping in line with people who want to pretend they are something they are not or can do something they can't.

We grabbed a rifle off the shelf, factory ammo, and NO DOPE.... it was zeroed and we went stone cold at 1760 on a 16" wide target. The computers were off on elevation, the wind was switching back and forth (remember 3 hits at 2000m with 3 different holds) and showed how difficult the shots actually is, especially when the bullet was going transonic.

Next time I will be sure to insist we edit it to look like rock stars, no misses and just the hits. Hell I have Final Cut I will re-edit to make it look better LOL

I think I was a great video of how it really goes when trying to make those long shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's why I love this site. Frank calls it like it is and shows it like it is. His moderators do as well.

Please, god, no!!!!

Every time I take my 30" FTR rig to the range, someone invites themselves over to tell me how I don't need all that tube, and there is a guy banging steel with 18" at 1000 meat-ears all day long ....

Thanks for the excellent video Frank. The workup to the hits teaches more than a lucky or easy hit. If you have been to the class 3 times, there must be much to learn there.

Nice shooting Frank, I just hit our 1450 with my mkIII 6.5 in 3 hits the other day, holding different wind like you were. Hope to see you next time at the shop.