• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Video for viewing trace

sil9mm

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2009
North Id
Does anyone know what is a good video camera for viewing trace if you are shooting by yourself? Do you need a spotting scope coupled with camera, high optical digital, etc...
What does everyone else use?

Re: Video for viewing trace

It is possible. I have used my Canon T2i on movie crop mode (increases mag by 7x) with a 70-200 lens. It is visible on the camera lcd but would be better viewed on a laptop.

Here is a video I made of my first day with the TRG. I was shooting solo and used the camera for video and to view trace for corrections.

http://vimeo.com/24227428

I have thought about getting a camera adapter for my Leupold Mark IV spotting scope as it would include the reticle in the image for more accurate corrections.

Let me know if you find a better alternative!

Thx for the reply. Post a video if you decide to use the Mark IV. I'd like to see that.

I did this one with a Leupold Mark IV coupled with a monocam and olympus tough ( trace visible from the left )

I just use a point'n shoot camera coupled with any spotting scope, works fine. Been taking a lot of video lately so I went with a Vortex Razor spotting scope, got it primarily for the MOA ranging reticle, also got the camera adapter makes it super easy to shoot videos. Just make sure the camera setup is right next to the shoter, best for seeing the trace.

Update. I used a gopro hero2 cam behind a ss5-20 hd scope for spotting shots at 1600 yards. It worked better then I thought it would but still not what I'm looking for. Guess the scope will go back on the rifle. I have a bushy flp mildot on the way. Maybe that will work better since the eye relief was just to far on the scope.

I wonder if I could hook up my contour camera to work. It has the bluetooth connection to use an iPhone for the viewfinder but that wouldn't be good enough to see trace.