• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Video Review-Borka Tools Torque Driver

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com

</p>

</br>
    Sniper's Hide was fortunate enough to get a hold of the new Borka Enterprises Multi Setting Torque Driver for review. We have been using this tools for approximately 2 months now and we find it an excellent tool for the precision rifle shooter. Small, lightweight and comes in the settings important to us as precision rifle shooters. We reviewed the 12 setting model who's inch pound values go from 15 inch pounds to 72 inch pounds which is perfect for everything from action screws to base and rings screws. Weighing under 6oz. the tools is highly compact and portable. In fact it will easily fit in your stock pack without even noticing it. A key feature to this tool is the fact there is no backlash when torquing. This is an excellent feature as it breaks clean at the desired weigh. Simple to use there are several models all under $100. In fact the Military / LE version we used with the values engraved in the blade retails for only $75. A bargain for one tool that will accomplish so much.

</p>

</br>
    <object id="objVeeplePlayer" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0" width="525" height="331" align="middle"><param name="width" value="525"/><param name="height" value="331"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="movie" value="http://www.veeple.com/swf/VeeplePlayer.swf?siteId=5GLGxNj8HEg%253D&videoId=8eb29e9f-5f4b-4d89-9b12-b6119f0c2c93&userId=&baseUrl=http://www.veeple.com/&showSpots=1&showViewBar=1&showTabBar=1&mute=0&spotScaleMode=noScale&autoPlay=0&allowAddComments=1&allowShare=1&allowEmbedding=1&allowFullscreen=1&allowRating=1&stopPlayingOnInteractiveClick=1&displayRelatedVideos=0&showWorm=0&showLogo=0&logoIcon=1&whiteLabel=1&showTabClickableObjects=1&showTabDetails=1&showTabComments=1&playerMode=player&playerWidth=525&playerHeight=331&isFlex=0&recordEvents=1&deploymentUrl=http://www.snipershide.com"/><param name="quality" value="high"/><param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff"/><param name="menu" value="false"/><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><embed id="embVeeplePlayer" src="http://www.veeple.com/swf/VeeplePlayer.swf?siteId=5GLGxNj8HEg%253D&videoId=8eb29e9f-5f4b-4d89-9b12-b6119f0c2c93&userId=&baseUrl=http://www.veeple.com/&showSpots=1&showViewBar=1&showTabBar=1&mute=0&spotScaleMode=noScale&autoPlay=0&allowAddComments=1&allowShare=1&allowEmbedding=1&allowFullscreen=1&allowRating=1&stopPlayingOnInteractiveClick=1&displayRelatedVideos=0&showWorm=0&showLogo=0&logoIcon=1&whiteLabel=1&showTabClickableObjects=1&showTabDetails=1&showTabComments=1&playerMode=player&playerWidth=525&playerHeight=331&isFlex=0&recordEvents=1&deploymentUrl=http://www.snipershide.com" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="525" height="331" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="always" menu="false" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"><noembed><h1>Borka Tools Torque Driver </h1>

Borka, Sniper, RIfles, Shooting, Torque Driver, Lowlight, Rifle </p>Veeple Interactive Video</noembed></embed></object>

</p>

</br>
    For those looking for more information here is the link to the Borka Tools Website They also have some videos on YouTube:

</p>

</br>
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uWDUlIZCzvQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uWDUlIZCzvQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Re: Video Review-Borka Tools Torque Driver

Cool, now I can replace the two separate torque wrenches I carry around in the bag...

-pd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Simple, yet brilliant. </div></div>

I told you not to talk about me on the open forums....

The wrench does look slick too.

just picked mine up...saved me some cash compared to "other" torque wrenches.

Frank,
    How does the same "hole" for lack of a better word hold the value for say 30 in lbs and 75 in lbs just by flipping the blade over?

The handle must break at different values going left vs right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vmpgsc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The handle must break at different values going left vs right. </div></div>

That and the length away from the handle gives varying degrees of leverage combined with the break point to give the torque values.

Where can we buy the MS version, Brownells doesn't sell that one, Borkatools.com doesn't list it either, sign yourselfs up as a gunsmith at Brownells and get a 10 dollar off discount on the 15-72 model

Frank showed this off while I was an RO class, and it works great. I think even a Marine could use it.
    wink.gif

I have been looking for a torque wrench..... This might be the one.

If you hold on I can get a deal for SH members... I am working it out now.

Deadly,

Grunt not withstanding.. Hello, yes it breaks differently from one side to the other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you hold on I can get a deal for SH members... I am working it out now.

Deadly,

Grunt not withstanding.. Hello, yes it breaks differently from one side to the other. </div></div>

In a holding pattern......

I assume it will me the mil version?

I also want some of that bullet busting wind lube and a case of Bynum self cleaning bullets in 6.5mm

Hello, gentlemen

I'm a new member, and also, a guy behind this torque driver.
    I guess I was just lucky to be able to contact Frank and ask him for evaluation of this driver, and I'm really grateful to him for his kind attention and very serious effort to help me.

I apologize for being a bit slow and not having an updated 12 torque settings driver webpage on time, this will be corrected shortly, with ATD-15x72-12FS-MG (military grade) torque driver to be shown in detail and with option to purchase directly from Borka Tools.

Frank and I will be also working together to put this product in "group buy" section.

In the meantime, please do not hesitate to ask any questions
    if you happen to have them.

Best to all of you,
    Boris
    Borka Tools

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you hold on I can get a deal for SH members... I am working it out now.

Deadly,

Grunt not withstanding.. Hello, yes it breaks differently from one side to the other. </div></div>

Duh " I R Grunt" im all about the pictures and video though
    smile.gif

Wow, what a great idea! A torque wrench that allows for many settings, and is economical to boot. These will sell very well.

Very nice,I'm interested in a group buy.

I'd like one, too. If someone ships it to Germany. Was looking for a torque wrench, this one beats the others I was looking at in functionality and price, even shipped with 19% VAT.

LL! Have a Correction for you in the 2nd part of the 1st video. When you mentioned that they fit in the Pouch of the Eagle Stock Pack you said you were adding less than 6 Pounds to the weight of the rifle. I am assuming you meant to say 6 Ounces.

Also I I can make a suggestion. Get a Marantz PMD 670 used on eBay with a wireless XLR Microphone and it will make your audio far better. If you listen when you put your head down your tone gets a little muffled with just a Directional Mic on the camera but with the Independent Field Sounds Recorder you will have all your audio on a completely separate channel that is fully adjustable. This will also help with in the field audio as you can then run wireless mics on 2 people on different audio channels. This will also get rid of the Echo.

I only say this that a friend is a little tone deaf and just the small amount of inflection made it tough for him to hear and I know with the amount of Deaf shooters we have here on the site it might be an issue with more than just 1 person.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AverageJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LL! Have a Correction for you in the 2nd part of the 1st video. When you mentioned that they fit in the Pouch of the Eagle Stock Pack you said you were adding less than 6 Pounds to the weight of the rifle. I am assuming you meant to say 6 Ounces.</div></div>I noticed this too, but you are incorrect. Well actually, LL is incorrect. To him, it feels like 6 pounds. I didn't want to mock his stature (or lack there of) since it was a serious review. Give the guy a break, he knows he's short, he doesn't need everyone telling him. Also, +1 for the group buy.

There is more is more than one mistake, the 6 lbs reference is clearly supposed to be 6 oz. There is another somewhere, I forget, it happens.

As well thanks for your advice but the audio is fine. I actually have a Sennheiser wireless audio XLR but had it clipped to the table. The issue is more working alone than the fact you picked up a minor inflection change. Turn the volume up.

Doing these without a script on the fly alone is not nearly as easy as saying you made a mistake. Every take can have a mistake, the question is how many takes do you shoot. In the future I would recommend forwarding your suggestions via pm. It shows more class.

I wonder how many times you can use it before there is enough wear in the ball/detent/spring mechanism to alter the actual torque setting?

Just thinking out loud...

Emailed them last night, ships today. Great service right there boys!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Emailed them last night, ships today. Great service right there boys! </div></div>

Did not want to wait for the GB?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drmarc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder how many times you can use it before there is enough wear in the ball/detent/spring mechanism to alter the actual torque setting?

Just thinking out loud... </div></div>

Realistically, ball/detent arrangement will not wear out to the extent that will change torque settings more than 1-2% after, say, 100,000 cycles. Driver arm is made from 301 SS 1/2H (so called half hard, means HRc 36-38). This is a type of SS which is hardened thru "cold working", not heat treatment. So, the ball, which is made from E5200, heat treated to HRc 60, acts like a tool against softer material of the arm, forms 0.002"-0.003" deep groove for itself and in fact, increases hardness of the 301 SS in contact area to the considerable degree. So, wear actually stops at this time. The biggest change, up to 5-7%, happens during the first 5-10 "handle breaks" on a brand new parts - sharp edges are being killed, ball running groove is being formed, etc. So, before driver final calibration is completed, handle is always being pivoted (cycled) to each side at least a dozen times, as a part of "break-in" procedure required to compensate for the 5-7% inital change mentioned above.

In this case of torque driver being a "hand tool", with no high rpms and no high working temperatures involved, torque settings will change with time, but not with use. The reason is the same as for any device which uses spring - spring under tension does loose some portion of inital spring rate. This is applicable to any torque driver or device which uses spring as means to control force/torque. Good news is that springs I use are supplied by Lee Spring Co, good quality, stock items and can be replaced with fresh ones if needed. In time, I'll have simple calibration procesure developed, for home use, which would allow such replacement and re-adjustment. At the moment, spring is estimated to last between 15 and 25 years before replacement may be considered. Criteria for spring replacement would be the torque values change of more than 10%.

Boris

Nope, but will catch it as well for a couple more if possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Emailed them last night, ships today. Great service right there boys! </div></div>

Did not want to wait for the GB? </div></div>

GB offering will not be very juicy, although would still provide moderate advantage for SH members. The reason is related to price arrangements I have with Brownells and several local dealers I work with. If I offer straight discount on this driver in such powerful and popular place as Sniper's Hide, it will jeopardize their positions, which is not a right thing to do, if I want to develop honest and straightforward business relations with current and future dealers and distributors. So, GUNNER75's move to get it fast because he needs it, as he mentioned, ASAP, was a logical one and actually, got him one of the few drivers I have left from the current stock. Honestly, I didn't anticipate such interest and found myself not fully prepared for the demand, my fault, sorry about it...

Realistically, I wouldn't be able to ship more than a few drivers between now and June 16th, when I expect to have more parts to be delivered for assembly, however, some shortage may still exist. The good news is that I should have plenty of the product in stock after July 12th. But do not hesitate to place an order now if you're interested - I'll ship if I can, and if I can't, I'll certainly make it clear when it will be shipped.

Boris

Excellent I was thinking about getting a Wheeler FAT wrench but was holding off because I thought they look a little cheap and don't seem like they would be very accurate. This is exactly what I was looking for and right in my price range. Thanks for the review.

evaluation of service, after a couple of phone call and E-mail
    I can say the service was not only great but friendly also
    should be here in a week or so
    Thanks Boris....

Very handy tool, great communication! Thanks for the review LL and the product Boris.

We too, received our Borka Torque Tools today. As stated previous, they are impressively designed, and manufactured with attention to detail.

These units will be put to use right away, and we are happy that they are so "Handy".

Boris is also great to deal with, very informative, and excellent at communicating.

"Red Flag's Up" (range is HOT)

This kind of innovation is rewarding.