• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Video Scoping...

Mattrmvpd

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2004
South Georgia
Ok... here is an idea that I am wanting to do.. but NEED your help.

I have a Canon FS20 digital cam corder.

I am wanting to run a 7" or smaller BATTERY POWERED LCD screen to it.

Is there a cable (LONG ONE about 5 to 10 feet) that goes into the AV/HeadPhone out hookup on the camera that will go to a LCD screen??

I am wanting to use this as a spotting setup with tripod... I will zoom in on my target... use the LCD screen to see HOLES/HITS on target.

Thanks,
Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

Re: Video Scoping...

I use my digital camera set up on a tri-pod then mount it behind my spotting scope which sits on another tripod in front of it. This allows me to videotape through the spotting scope at any magnification......but I have to get away from the rifle in order to view the target.......probably not what you had in mind....

MG,

Its kinda what I had in mind.... I just want to use the AV Out line on the recorder to hook into a battery powered handheld LCD monitor like a 3.5 or 7" screen...

I just need to see IF it will work... I would like to have the camera about 10-15 feet behind me so the rifle does NOT mess with it... and then run the monitor right next to me that way I can see the shot placements.

Matt.

I have a Meade 70mm Astronomical Refractor with a 600mm F/L, and it is provided with a small CCD USB camera intended for astronomical photos. I'm thinking I want to try putting this together with my Toshiba laptop and giving it a try as a makeshift spotter system. But I'm gonna wait for Spring and milder weather before I go running around outdoors with my laptop.

Has anybody done this, and can they describe how they went about it (software, etc.)?

If this works, it should be able to provide hign magnification, high resolution photography/observation for under $100, for use in conjunction with a basic laptop. My Toshiba is a baseline model, bought a year ago for $329 at Best Buy.

Greg

Greg,

I will be trying it later next week... I will let you know..

I have seen some USB connections that go to video cams/laptops...

I DONT think it would be difficult at all..

I work for a University...so I have access to programs.. and computer gurus to make it work.

I will report on my findings.

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

Go to SavageShooters.com and under Picture Posts look for "Web Cam Pictures". Should be right on the 1st page. Might be useful for you, maybe not. I use the setup for watching bean bears @ 1000 yards. Take picture's or movies right to your laptop.

Later, Brad

I watched a video yesterday of a guy that took a Microsoft web cam and took it apart and removed the camera guts and installed it into the end of a rifle scope mounted on a tripod and hooked to his laptop.
He used a piece of PVC over the end of the scope, then took a rubber plug that fit over the PVC and attached it with a hose clamp over the scope. Drilled a hole for the camera in the rubber cover and glued it on.
Worked great.
Then he had that lap top sitting on his shooting bench showing the magnified picture of the target.
I have tried to find the link, but no-go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rarebreed93</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I watched a video yesterday of a guy that took a Microsoft web cam and took it apart and removed the camera guts and installed it into the end of a rifle scope mounted on a tripod and hooked to his laptop.
He used a piece of PVC over the end of the scope, then took a rubber plug that fit over the PVC and attached it with a hose clamp over the scope. Drilled a hole for the camera in the rubber cover and glued it on.
Worked great.
Then he had that lap top sitting on his shooting bench showing the magnified picture of the target.
I have tried to find the link, but no-go.</div></div>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2143798#Post2143798

Here would be my solution...
use the Iphone as a spotting scope. You won't be able to record for later viewing though. This is a live video only solution.

Your gonna need two people with iphones. (or a phone that can operate the following Application.
Both phones need to get the "Knocking live" application. What this does is enable one phone to send live video of what it sees through its camera lens to another phone in the network. Build a very small protective box for phone # 1, the one you will be leaving downrange. For the front of the phone box you will leave a small cutout for the lens of the camera and put some thick lexan as to not obscure the camera. place the phone so it records the hits and misses just out of the danger zone of bullet fragmentation on target impact.
Phone #2 goes to the firing position to see what is going on downrange... The range could be as far away as...well, you get the point, 1000, 2000, 10,000 yards. does'nt matter.
It does'nt replace a spotting scope altogether, but it could be a nice tool in the tool box to see where your impacting!
It's 2010, we don't need to jury-rig anything. The technology is already here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sjb269</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here would be my solution...
use the Iphone as a spotting scope. You won't be able to record for later viewing though. This is a live video only solution.

Your gonna need two people with iphones. (or a phone that can operate the following Application.
Both phones need to get the "Knocking live" application. What this does is enable one phone to send live video of what it sees through its camera lens to another phone in the network. Build a very small protective box for phone # 1, the one you will be leaving downrange. For the front of the phone box you will leave a small cutout for the lens of the camera and put some thick lexan as to not obscure the camera. place the phone so it records the hits and misses just out of the danger zone of bullet fragmentation on target impact.
Phone #2 goes to the firing position to see what is going on downrange... The range could be as far away as...well, you get the point, 1000, 2000, 10,000 yards. does'nt matter.
It does'nt replace a spotting scope altogether, but it could be a nice tool in the tool box to see where your impacting!
It's 2010, we don't need to jury-rig anything. The technology is already here. </div></div>

F'n Genius!