• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

VIDEO TARGET CAM: 500 Yards AR15 Mil-Spec M193

Afghanvet09

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2006
Holly Hill, SC
Split screen effect synched video with both shooter and target @ 500 yard range. Shooting 5 round group with irons from table top rest only. Conditions: Temp 58 F, winds 5-10 mph, variable. Shooting starts about 2 min into vid, if you want to skip intro and set up. I posted a still target pic recently, but thought vid might be more interesting. I'd like to see more vid's with target cams posted by members on their setups in action in future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNMlxZAp158

Re: VIDEO TARGET CAM: 500 Yards AR15 Mil-Spec M193

Very nice!
Whats the specs on the rifle used?

I clicked this not expecting to see my home town range. This range is 10 miles from my house, It used to be a very good place to shoot untill they put those tires up for you to shoot through. I will not be back until they are down, unless to shoot some pistols, A+ pistol range

The tires were a total surprise my first trip. I could not mount my optic and see through the tires - so I went to irons. Pics below for the group of what HP is referring to. They say tires are for noise and keep barrels pointed straight downrange. I don't like the set up either, but most ranges in this area only 100 yards. Re specs question: Specs are on an old SH thread of mine (still available) and has more info.

Extreme Spread on the 4 of the 5 rounds was ~8in. and the 1 shot that I blew expands group to ~12in. So 8 inches with irons and mil-spec is doable at 500 yards with the setup and good conditions, proper sight alignment and good fundamentals.

FRONT SIDE (facing range)

REAR SIDE (entry to booths)

Are you in this area, or just passing through and did some shooting?

I've never seen anything like that for shooting booths. So is there a "tunnel" of tires stacked out from each shooting port at the booths? If so, interesting...like a HUGE rubber silencer, even having baffles. I'd like to see (hear) what effect that has on the sound level.

Roger and in photo one of the tires actually fell (they are tethered together). The story from range owner was a .50 cal round was fired over the 500 yard berm and struck a house.

The sound is a like firing a rifle down into a barrel, and the smoke after a popping off consecutive rounds billowing out of the holes will make you cough and eyes tear up no kidding. I might be going back soon and might post a short video on the set up on my youtube channel.

Somebody on here asked about other rounds (on the old thread) - here's a 5 round group (500 yds, irons only) with BH 69 gr Match. This is ~8" ES, but honestly think it can do better. 100 yd 5 shot groups can be in the high .5's MOA when I do my part. My next shooter/target cam video will be with 69 gr Match. I just wanted to show how well it did with the cheap mil-spec stuff.

The sound is not muffled by much, it does sound pretty strange though, and trust me , its probably the worst idea ever, but if it keeps morons from shooting houses , I guess its ok. Just not for me I guess.

Our last trip there was about a year ago, and needles to say, we left after about 10 minutes. My .308 has a brake, so the smoke and dust coming out of thos tires was TERRIBLE...

That's unfortunate that the dumb few spoil things for the (probably) mostly competent masses. But, I've historically given people way more credit than they deserve when it comes to not being stupid...

About the sound not being muffled by much - I guess that's to be expected with an exit aperture that large (as large as the inner diameter of a truck tire) as compared to the caliber being fired through it. Oh well, it was worth a shot.