• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vietnam Era M14 Sniper clone

Marine24

Private
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2010
Colorado
I collect Marine Corps standard infantry rifles from 1775 to present and have most of the rifles from the Civil War through early Vietnam War. Just had this clone built, which is mostly Winchester USGI parts and comes with a Unertl 10x scope

M1A Vietnam sniper 2.jpg

Inspiration came from a photo in the book "The One-Round War: USMC Scout-Snipers In Vietnam"

I need you to tell me all about that scope mount, please. I really need you to tell me all about that scope mount.

Scope mount was actually built by my gunsmith. He was a Navy Doc assigned to a infantry battalion in Vietnam (think it was 2/5). He couldn't use the commercial M1A mount available today since he needed ones for the Unertl mounts. Built it out of angle iron and was planning on parkerizing it, but opted to spray paint it flat black to provide some authenticity.

His unit had a few of these converted M14, but most were field expedient conversions and not the more familiar Winchester Model 70s.

You are going to make @deltawiskey sad because he just missed buying a standard M1A.....

Thats very nice. Hit it with some linseed love.

Scope mount was actually built by my gunsmith. He was a Navy Doc assigned to a infantry battalion in Vietnam (think it was 2/5). He couldn't use the commercial M1A mount available today since he needed ones for the Unertl mounts. Built it out of angle iron and was planning on parkerizing it, but opted to spray paint it flat black to provide some authenticity.

His unit had a few of these converted M14, but most were field expedient conversions and not the more familiar Winchester Model 70s.
Nice. I like it!

Hi, that's interesting rifle. I have not seen that configuration before with the long scope. I have a question:

Inspiration came from a photo in the book "The One-Round War: USMC Scout-Snipers In Vietnam"

I have that book, is there a particular page with the picture you are referencing? I'd like to look that up, thanks.

FWIW, here's my replica of a Vietnam XM21 sniper rifle (along with Vietnam era field gear).

XM21_w_props8.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: deltawiskey
Thanks for posting that interesting picture(!). I have never seen that before....I pulled the book out as I wanted to see the caption for that interesting picture....and now I see it on page 363 and 364. How did I overlook this? Thanks again for the pics(!).

PS: the info re the 'dehorned' mount is also interesting...I can't believe that I overlooked those pages in his book, but I confess that my copy of "The Long-Range War" is the Senich reference book that I have studied the most.

Last edited:
Definitely an interesting combination. Optics on the Unertl scope are surprisingly good, although the FOV stinks. I typically only collect the standard issue rifle for a grunt but this was unique. I had the heel replaced on the receiver with a Winchester heel to add a little more to the build

M1A Vietnam sniper.jpg

Well, IMO, with that de-milled M14 heel, you should consider adding put a fake selector lock to that rifle...it deserves one.

I have only one of the old Unertl 10x scopes, and its on a pre-64 M70 replica sniper. (another pic from a Senich book)

Vietnam era M70 close up.jpg

Seconded putting a fake selector on it. I have one on mine, but unfortunately not a cosmetic connecting bar. Here's a pic of my M14E2 clone; it's not the best photo but then my phone's camera isn't the best, either. USGI parts/stock with a Fulton Armory receiver and barrel and an early vented handguard. The forward sling swivel is actually from an M1 Garand. Have you considered doing one of those, @Marine24 ?

Attachments

• thumbnail_KIMG0708.jpg
    thumbnail_KIMG0708.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 98
Reactions: Charlie112
Absolutely but haven't dug into it much. I know Fulton Armory sells the selector and Sparrow Hawk has dummy kits based on some comments I've seen on the M14 forum, but that is about it.

Reactions: canman
Absolutely but haven't dug into it much. I know Fulton Armory sells the selector and Sparrow Hawk has dummy kits based on some comments I've seen on the M14 forum, but that is about it.
I've got the Fulton on mine. Doesn't do a thing but it looks good!

Reactions: Marine24
Beautiful rifle and you should be commended for taking the time to do something historically correct and not the norm. I find myself falling back in love with my M 1-A. Kinda like talking to your Ex and finding you don't now and probably never did hate her. When I started in shooting HP matches I used the M1 and the M 1-A . Now my old eyes can't see the front post or the target depending on what di-opter I use on my AR platform,take your pick. Next season it's gonna be my M 1 -A with a 4x scope that will be NRA service rifle legal and I'll finish up as I started out with a wooden .30 caliber rifle.

Reactions: Crang
Marine24 - Please post of picture of the left side of your rifle with that custom scope mount...curious to see that unique mount. I don't have any M1As with a long Unertl, but thanks for showing your nice example of an unusual 'improvised' USMC M14 sniper replica.

Here's my 3 replicas of vintage M14 snipers based on SAI M1A rifles.
Top: "late M21" with ART II scope (circa early 1980s to early 1990s)
Middle: XM21 or "early M21" with AR TEL scope (circa 1969 to early 1980s)
Bottom: "Pre-XM21" sniper with M84 scope and AWC mount (circa 1967 to early 1970s/end of Vietnam War)

Vintage_M14_replica_snipers_left_side_group.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the creativity of my gunsmith. He couldn't remember the details of the mount and couldn't find drawings. He has a couple of set screws to keep the mount and scope level. The top screw on the first picture is to keep is plumb and the second picture shows the set screw to keep it level. Third picture gives you a different view of the set screw in the second pciture. Taking the mount off is a pain so it probably won't be coming off but I'll hit them with some black paint.
Vietnam M14 Sniper Rifle Mount.jpg
Vietnam M14 Sniper Rifle Mount 2.jpg
Vietnam M14 Sniper Rifle Mount 3.jpg