• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Viht N-160 vs N-555

granite wagon

bottle washer
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2021
NC
Anyone have experience with both of these ?

Looking for density & stability differences between the two.

I have been using N-160 & wondering how N-555 compares.

In what caliber? I've been using N160 recently in 6.5 Creed. Originally got it as a replacement for H4831SC in 6 Creed but just couldn't get it to shoot. Tried it in 6.5 and ended up going way over their (Vihtavuori's) book loads but it shoots well with 140s in 6.5 Creed. I have noticed it to be relatively temp sensitive though, to the tune of about 1fps/degree F. I got 24lbs at pre-covid pricing though so I'm gonna burn it up.

I only made it 43.9gr of n555 and while at lower loads it shot extreamly nice I settled on 42.9 not the fastest nor the slowest speeds I had seen it's close to my self imposed max of 42gr or less while keeping sd's around 10 ish at least that's what I have see from it in 6.5 have not seen nor tried the other .

In what caliber? I've been using N160 recently in 6.5 Creed. Originally got it as a replacement for H4831SC in 6 Creed but just couldn't get it to shoot. Tried it in 6.5 and ended up going way over their (Vihtavuori's) book loads but it shoots well with 140s in 6.5 Creed. I have noticed it to be relatively temp sensitive though, to the tune of about 1fps/degree F. I got 24lbs at pre-covid pricing though so I'm gonna burn it up.
6creedmoor

I am running a correction of .8fps/degree F with N-160 and while not hard to deal with it does throw my 20" barrel out of node a lil if It gets more than about +/- 15 degree F from developed temperature.

I got lucky and was able to get 2 good nodes with N-160 and 115DTAC. Good days I am seeing mid .2 / bad days low .4 so its DEFINITELY sub .5 Both charge weights I am running are relatively low load density but speed spreads seem to stay acceptable.

I am thinking of trying N-555 but really dont see the need unless its more temp forgiving & occupies a lil more case volume than N-160.

6creedmoor

I am running a correction of .8fps/degree F with N-160 and while not hard to deal with it does throw my 20" barrel out of node a lil if It gets more than about +/- 15 degree F from developed temperature.

I got lucky and was able to get 2 good nodes with N-160 and 115DTAC. Good days I am seeing mid .2 / bad days low .4 so its DEFINITELY sub .5 Both charge weights I am running are relatively low load density but speed spreads seem to stay acceptable.

I am thinking of trying N-555 but really dont see the need unless its more temp forgiving & occupies a lil more case volume than N-160.
I tried with 110 SMKs and 115 RDFs and just never got satisfactory results. Crazy ES' when shot side by side with my current loads with H4831SC. What's your load with the DTACs?

I tried with 110 SMKs and 115 RDFs and just never got satisfactory results. Crazy ES' when shot side by side with my current loads with H4831SC. What's your load with the DTACs?
The chamber in this barrel is a shorter throat than SAAMI ...

Peterson SRP / #450 / N-160 @ 38.4 ( 60degrees F ) gives 2765 & 40.8 gives 2875 ( stout / probably cant run in summer heat ) 20" barrel Jumping the DTAC .020 to .030

Last edited:
Reactions: dgheriani
6creedmoor

you are not out of node with N160, your sample size is too small:

Reactions: wick182
Lil over 600 rounds of this recipe on this barrel so far since first of year.
I am very blessed to have a great place to shoot behind my crib..
Shoot several times a week..
Pretty sure on what I'm seeing..

On a semi-related note, the N100-series of powders don't generate as much heat as the N500-series powders or similar double-based powders, so they're ideal for semi-autos and anytime you plan to be shooting rapid strings and want to preserve the barrel.

I've started running a 1fps/degree F correction and when I've retested (we've been getting 20-30 degree swings daily recently) the projected MV from my Kestrel was within a couple fps of what I measured with my Labradar. Curious to see if that relationship remains the same as temps keep going up into spring and summer. I love me some more temp stable powders but I also love that I got 24lbs of N-160 at pre-covid prices, haha.

Temp sensitivity is load/cartridge dependent. I have typically seen .8fps to 1.0 fps per degree in a 6 Dasher dependent on lot from Varget. THE holy grail of temp sensitivity. On the other hand, a compressed load of h1000 in my 243ai with 115 dtacs is close to 0.2 fps/ degree across several barrels.

I am running N165 in one 243ai barrel with 105s because h1000 was not available. So far it looks pretty close to 1.6fps/degree.

The reality is none of this matters much until targets get really small and really far away. It is also pretty easy to compensate for. It's fun to talk about, but it's in the weeds for everything accept elr.

dont mistook powder temperature sensitivity with your lousy cleaned barrels, because if your barrel is not cleaned with abrasives, your velocity because of the rough barrel will INCREASE !

dont mistook powder temperature sensitivity with your lousy cleaned barrels, because if your barrel is not cleaned with abrasives, your velocity because of the rough barrel will INCREASE !
Not sure if that was directed at me, but you come across as a condescending fuck that is pissing to mark his territory.

The gun had less 40 rounds on it since it was cleaned to bare metal with abrasives and verified in a borescope when the velocity was higher in hot weather. It had about 160 or sosince cleaning when the slower velocity was recorded in the cold. Also, the barrel had 360 rounds on it when the slower velocities were recorded in the cold and 530ish when the higher velocity was recorded in the heat, so it wasn't the fucking barrel speeding up. It was also the exact same 8# jug of powder and the exact same lot of bullets, primers, and brass.

Contrary to your belief, this shit isn't rocket science and you aren't the only person that knows how to run a rifle. A lot of people around here have a pretty good grasp on it.