• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vihtavouri N568 for reloading 338 Lapua

Sin1st3rM1st3r

Private
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2022
Iowa
Anyone have any reviews on Vihtavouri N568 powder for reloading 338 Lapua ammo? Going to test with 285 gr Hornady ELD-M and 300 gr Sierra Matchkings. Hornady brass and federal 215M primers. Just wanted to know thoughts compared to retumbo or H1000. Performance, consistency, ect.
Any reviews would be greatly appreciated

Keeping an eye on this one. I've been reloading my 7-300 PRC and I've run H1k, Sta-Ball HD, N565, N570, and I just got some Retumbo, N568 is the only one left that I'd like to try. Hoping to hear some input as well.

Reactions: Sin1st3rM1st3r
Keeping an eye on this one. I've been reloading my 7-300 PRC and I've run H1k, Sta-Ball HD, N565, N570, and I just got some Retumbo, N568 is the only one left that I'd like to try. Hoping to hear some input as well.
What has shot the best that you've tried? I'm having trouble finding some other powders in stock and saw N568 was a newer powder that fit the bill for my purpose. I am also eyeing imput from personal experience in retumbo and H1000. I'm just getting started reloading and I want to do as much research as possible.

I'm in roughly the same boat, but I can say hands down so far the N570, and N565 have been the best FOR ME. The 570 is a touch faster, but the 565 just seems to be pinpoint consistent, and faster than everything I've tried except the 570. I was running loads up on GRT, and it seemed like the 568 was going to be a touch out of balance for the case fill to pressure/ performance. My case volumes are 93.5gr and it seems like I'm always making a trade off for balancing the case volume without going insanely way over pressure. The 565 seems to balance itself the best out of all of them, and perform the best. I've also been told (and I'm not trying to start some long debate) that the 570 can be a bit of a barrel burner. So I'm pretty set on the 565 at this point.

I'm in roughly the same boat, but I can say hands down so far the N570, and N565 have been the best FOR ME. The 570 is a touch faster, but the 565 just seems to be pinpoint consistent, and faster than everything I've tried except the 570. I was running loads up on GRT, and it seemed like the 568 was going to be a touch out of balance for the case fill to pressure/ performance. My case volumes are 93.5gr and it seems like I'm always making a trade off for balancing the case volume without going insanely way over pressure. The 565 seems to balance itself the best out of all of them, and perform the best. I've also been told (and I'm not trying to start some long debate) that the 570 can be a bit of a barrel burner. So I'm pretty set on the 565 at this point.
I have a 30" barrel so I would think that would help the 570 from burning a barrel up? (Just from what I've heard, have to shoot 5 straight to even get the barrel above body temp) I'm totally new to burn speeds of powder and how barrel length affects the burn of different powders, only have around 120 rounds through the rifle as of now so barrel is relatively fresh. Advertised barrel life around 1500 rounds of factory ammo. What would be a good recommendation for powder weight with 285 gr Hornady eld-m and a 300 gr Sierra match king? Not looking to hit max pressure. It shoots facotey 270 gr at 3000 fps chronographed and think I could match that speed with 285 gr without hitting max pressure. What would be the best powder for my application and barrel length?

I use Gordon's Reloading Tool to help develop my loads. I believe it's free online. I doubt I'm qualified to provide a good or safe recommendation, but there are probably plenty of loads on this site that guys have worked up. If you accurately put your information in it does a good job of calculating all of those things for you. And you can sit and fine tune the different charge weights, change bullets, change powders, etc. I've been running a chronograph, and a strain gauge to measure chamber pressure, and found that the field results match up very closely to the calculations on the program. That's how I even figured out that the bulk density of the 568 didn't seem like it would work well in the first place to be honest. Also, you can go straight to Vhitavouri's website and they probably have the published load data already. Actually I'll try to attach a photo with this post. I'm running a 30" barrel as well. And the loading software above will let you put all of those specific parameters in.
Screenshot_20231029-003224.png

I know you're wanting info for 338LM but I thought I'd share my experience with 568, besides I'm eye balling doing a 338 build.
I tried 568 in my 300prc w/230 Atip, it is/has very slow burn rate, I couldn't get enough in the case to get any real speed. Ended up using N565 with the 230 ATIP.
The VV reloading data only shows one load with 300gr and 568, it is slow even when maxed.