• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vihtavuori N550 Powder

Re: Vihtavuori N550 Powder

I just picked up a few pounds this week which I will be loading tomorrow. I'll let ya know. I'm loading it into BH Match brass, SMK Molly 168gr BTHP with CCI #200's.

JH

I know lots of silhouette shooters that use it in their 260's.
I haven't tried it because a few of them have told me "have a backup load, because its hard to find sometimes". Seems that there can be dry spells in the VV supply (not that there isn't right now in all good powders).

Used to use it in .308 and 375 H&H. Only stoped because I found another powder that gave me the same or slightly better performance that was more available, and cheaper.

I use it for my 243. Produces the best velocity with minimal powder and no signs of pressure. Good clean burn. If it were not for the availability and the cost, I would stick with it.

How is the vel and pressure? Similiar or faster/ Advantages for trying this powder. I see every now and then somebody will say VV550. It seems like with a 308 base cart. it works. Loads that work data.Thanks

I am still using my current load of varget at 45.8 grains behind a berger 175. But been using the N550 with 208 Amax's. Haven't chrono'd yet. Will hopefully get ouot sometime this week.

47.0gr of N550 in a Hornady Match case propels 190SMK's at 2700fps out of my FN SPR's 26" barrel. Great powder for heavy bullets in a .308.

Don

Reactions: Mikeyg413

I've used it in .308 win with 175 SMK's. I have had good results.

James

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that in a 308. If so that is some great numbers. </div></div>

Yep, .308.

Don

Julien what kind of speeds are you getting?

I have considered looking into Vihta powders, but generally they look to produce slower speeds than Varget. N550 looks ok, but just curious as to your real life figure.

Hello
I've lent my chronograph.
I'll take speed on february 11th.
Tell me if I forget to post it here.

I've tried 155 Lapua Scenar with 46,3gr N550 with 5341 ,868 m/s measured

The dark side of VV5xx is heat.

I've get back to VVN140/N150 from N540 in 6.5x47L because i've got too many temperature during matchs (40 rounds + sighters in 45 minutes).

Do not forget that if VVN5xx produce more velocity at same pressure level is because they have been designed for hunters shooting in cold (below 0°C) weather. They inflame better than N1xx during winter, in Scandinavia.

Vman, I get 2730fps with 47.2grn vv550 behind a 178 amax,
Lap brass, cci BR-2 primers.

I switched from varget and got an extra 100fps for the same 'just below pressure limit'
Cleaner burning, and easier metering than varget.
I like it, but havnt shot it thru a hot summer yet, so can't really comment on temp stability yet.
From what I've researched it seems better for heavier bullets/longer barrels,
But so far I've only used it with 178's, looking forward to trying some 208's when I get saved up for few hundred of them
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JpS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The dark side of VV5xx is heat.

I've get back to VVN140/N150 from N540 in 6.5x47L because i've got too many temperature during matchs (40 rounds + sighters in 45 minutes).

Do not forget that if VVN5xx produce more velocity at same pressure level is because they have been designed for hunters shooting in cold (below 0°C) weather. They inflame better than N1xx during winter, in Scandinavia. </div></div>

Interesting...

VV evidently thinks the N500 series is less temp sensitive than the N100 series, quote from VV reloading manual:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Geometrically the powders in the N500 series are equal to
the N100 series. Although these new powders have a higher
energy content, they do not cause greater wear to the gun.
This is because the surface of the powder has been treated
with an agent designed to reduce barrel wear.
N500 series powders work well at different temperatures,
even better than the traditional N100 and N300 series.
Temperature sensitivity naturally depends very much on the
weapon and on the cartridge. </div></div>

That said, I would more readily listen to a guy who is reporting real life observations over the manufacturers manual. But maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle? Maybe it is less temp sensitive in some cases and more so in others?

FWIW, I've been loading my 308 with N540 and Berger 185BT's. After trying up to 47.5gr of RL17 and getting 2594 fps avg out of my 24" barrel, a load of 45.0 N540 delivered 2650+ Best accuracy was down around 44.0 and 2575fps. But everything between 43.5 and 45.0gr of N540 delivered 4-shotgroups under 0.450" at 100yds. Best was low 0.2's. (this testing has been at 32-45F deg)

Hi Blue_ridge,

here is the reply from lapua by Email :
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Infocenter at nammo.fi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello,

There is no difference in barrel life with N100 and N500 series powders.

Best regards,

Nammo Lapua Infocenter </div></div>
I mostly shot for pleasure, but do a match from time to time :
40 round + sighters in 1 hour
30 round in 20 minutes.
for theses strings, the barrel (Border, light varmint, .9" at the muzzle) was too hot for my opinion [can't keep my hand on it !]
The barrel in 6.5x47Lapua is still alive at 3200 rounds [123gr@880m/s,139gr@840m/s] staying with N1xx serie.

Today, I've done some trials in .30
hot day for this season: 12.5°C

With SMK 175gr; 1mm in twist

With FED210M and RWS 5341 primers.

With 44 grains N550, twice primers made the same result on target
see the target, 4 impacts

The difference is the primer. The federal seems hot. the primer is flatter than RWS. So more pressure!!!

I've ever though that N550 and RWS primers are the best duo.
moreover, the RWS is a match primer and works for M1, M1A, M14 like a CCI 34, the primer's cup seems hardest that normal one.

30uv10.jpg

Hi Julien,

I do not said that VVN5xx doesn't works nor are accurate. I had some really good results in targets with it.

I only said that for my kind of shooting, they produce too more heat.

Each shooter, regarding his goals choose the adequate components.

I will have to try the N550 for my hunting load in 30-284, probably with 180'accubonds...

But will stay with N150 with the scenars for target.

Hope to see you soon, julien.

I will eagerly watch this thread. According to QL N550 will produce more velocity with 175gr bullets in in .308 than any other powder. Would like to see some results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JpS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Blue_ridge,

here is the reply from lapua by Email :
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Infocenter at nammo.fi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello,

There is no difference in barrel life with N100 and N500 series powders.

Best regards,

Nammo Lapua Infocenter </div></div>
I mostly shot for pleasure, but do a match from time to time :
40 round + sighters in 1 hour
30 round in 20 minutes.
for theses strings, the barrel (Border, light varmint, .9" at the muzzle) was too hot for my opinion [can't keep my hand on it !]
The barrel in 6.5x47Lapua is still alive at 3200 rounds [123gr@880m/s,139gr@840m/s] staying with N1xx serie. </div></div>

Huh, wonder why they state something different in their manual? Oh well, either way, we all have to do our own testing to find what works in our own rifles. Thanks.

Good day,

I've been shooting N-550 exclusively in my .308 since 2001 and in .223 since 2004 or 2005. 300-800 rounds per rifle per year. I still don't see any wear in either bore, but I use moly as well. I've got remnant lots dating back to 1999. All have been good except the 2004 lots when they moved the factory.

YMMV,
DocB

i've had great luck with vv 560 in my 7wsm w/ 180s and in my 223 vv 530 shot great with 80s. it always shot very well regardless of temp and i shot it from the 90s to below 0 in the 7wsm. i had to take about .75moa from my 1k number for every 20degs. the 223 didn't get shot over that range at least not with the logging at the time, i've moved once and deployed once and couldn't find my old logs when i got home recently.

however, when i tried vv 550 in my 6.5x47 i got better luck with varget and h4350. since hdgns is easier to get i'm going to try to work up a load with retumbo for my 7wsm and benchmark for my 223.

i got soured a little on vv in '09 before i deployed because i kept trying to get vv560 for my 7 and it was never in stock always in the next shipment.

Ok I've found 550 one of the best powders ever in my rifle .308
I load 185gn lap scenar with 46.9 gn. @ 2650fps .5" @ 100y
Also loaded .190gb vldh bergers with same result

I get good results with 178 amax,
But couldn't beat Varget for speed with 210 vld's!

+1 Dave, I'm going to try it with 185 scenars next..