• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

VihtaVuori Powders; it's official.

ksthomas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2009
Sedalia. MO
It's now official; VihtaVuori powders has just been purchased by Nammo Lapua Oy, and will continue to remain in production. Got word from the home office this morning, which got my day off to a good start!

Now, to just get them to increase the production rate . . ..

Good news indeed. But along with increased production, how about a price freeze!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin, news around here that came from f-nationals, Lapua was thinking of manufacturing 7mm SAUM brass, but the 2014 news release didn't mention it, any take?

Last edited:
Someone was getting ahead of themselves, or just being way too optimistic. We've had some requests, and it's been discussed informally, but it's way down on the list.

Hi ksthomas, what are your thoughts on the N540 powder? I plan on using it with 175 SMK, 178 AMAX but I know the speeds are a bit slower than other powders like RL15, Varget, IMR4160 etc... I had an opportunity to buy 8 1b'ers at $15 each so I jumped on it. My goals are for 1000 and beyond with a .308 (1100 lets say or pushing it to 1200). I also reload for my AR-15 with 69 SMK and 77 Nosler CC. Because it's a slower powder it's going to be harder to get to 1000 (currently at 875) so do you recommend I use it for the AR instead since the velocities seem to be better with that? Thanks for your help.

Very good news indeed! Maybe the search for N570 will finally come to a end?

Kevin, any word on production of 300 Win, Lapua made brass?

Thank you for the update, Merry Christmas!

It's now official; VihtaVuori powders has just been purchased by Nammo Lapua Oy, and will continue to remain in production. Got word from the home office this morning, which got my day off to a good start!

Very good news indeed! Maybe the search for N570 will finally come to a end?

^^^^^^ This x10 thousand!! Great news Kevin, I'm very happy to hear that. Now tell them slave drivers to crank up the N570 production. :D

t

UM550,

N540 is good stuff. I haven't used it in any of my 308s, but I do use it quite heavily in my 5.56mm Match ammo for XC-HP competition. Primarily for heavy weight bullets such as the 77 and 82s, but I think it'd be just a bit too slow for anything much lighter than the 69s. By extension, it should be ideal for the 308s with bullets of 175 grains or above, since there's a lot of overlap between these applications. Should be an excellent choice for you!

Dave300,

Not this year, though it's still getting a lot of discussion and they are considering it. I'll be heading off to the SHOT show in a few weeks, and I'm sure we'll be chatting it up some more then. Couple months after that I'll be headed to Germany for the IWA show, which will give them a bit more time to kick it around a bit. Anyway, I'm sure we'll restart the conversation again in Nuremburg, so who knows? I'm pushing for it, but am a rather small cog in a very, very large machine. More than happy to keep you posted if I hear anything more, though.

Good to hear!......N-150 is one of my favorite powders and i was hoping it wasn't gonna fade away!

Very good news, and I don't even burn Viht powders.

I just like a broad/diverse array of smokeless powder manufacturers. The more the merrier.

I'm trying to find some N350 for my pistol shooting. Go through 6 to 8 pounds per year. I'll be running out in a few months.

Kevin,
Ditto on the 300WM brass. Could you also ask the kind folks in Finland if they could start to offer the 500-series of powders in 5-lbs jugs, in addition to the 1-lbs bottles?

Last edited:
+1 on the 300WM brass. A very popular caliber for matches and i would think it would be a good seller. everytime rws makes it, it sells quick.

Hi ksthomas, what are your thoughts on the N540 powder? I plan on using it with 175 SMK, 178 AMAX but I know the speeds are a bit slower than other powders like RL15, Varget, IMR4160 etc... I had an opportunity to buy 8 1b'ers at $15 each so I jumped on it. My goals are for 1000 and beyond with a .308 (1100 lets say or pushing it to 1200). I also reload for my AR-15 with 69 SMK and 77 Nosler CC. Because it's a slower powder it's going to be harder to get to 1000 (currently at 875) so do you recommend I use it for the AR instead since the velocities seem to be better with that? Thanks for your help.

Ultraman, shoot 185g berger juggernaut and vlds with n540 exellent accuracy but not as temp stable as Varget so have winter/summer loads when using n540.

Thanks for the info paul T. Have you been able to chrono the speeds with this combination? I need to do some testing on the 168, 175, 178 and 185 weights but I mostly see me using the heavier of them. Are you shooting the juggernauts for distance or 100-200 yards groups?