• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vintage .22 day

Flint62a1

Private
Minuteman
Today was vintage 22 day at the range. And being the masochist’s we are we decided to shoot at 200 yards. My buddy Ken had his Winder musket in 22 short and mine is a Springfield 03, converted to 22 long rifle.
We run the “no balls challenge “ an 8x10 target at 200 offhand. Good times! FA6F8C21-B412-439B-AC24-C88E83F344E1.jpegCF7248F6-6865-4299-9D7C-811ED062DDA6.jpeg

Who did the work to the Springfield '03? Any details on that process, etc?

A good friend and fellow shooter had a Numrich kit, which was a chamber insert and barrel liner. We got to yakking at the range one day about what to do with this rifle, and he suggested building an insert/liner set up like the kit. We took it to a mutual friend who had a machine shop and basically said we need this. A few days later we had the parts. Next up we drilled out the barrel and inserted a barrel liner from Brownells. The chamber insert and liner are epoxied into place as one piece. I got the bolt off ebay and we were good to go. That's really all there was to it.
It will shoot just aboout anything, and with match ammo it is surprisingly accurate. We have debated putting an A5 scope on her, maybe next year.
When I run our 22 steel shoot fundraisers, it is a very popular rifle to shoot. As mentioned in the original post it's used in the no balls challenge.
Love shooting this thing

My take on the .22 caliber Springfield....

HVppQ4Kl.jpg

That 20X Unertl magnifies the tremors of hummingbird farts but it is fun to shoot....

jX2zppdl.jpg

and its iron alternative...

GGhKyhEl.jpg

I know the A-23 is considered a giant target by real .22 shooters but Im not about size.....

V63fhTul.jpg

We run steel shoots on Saturday afternoons to raise money for different veterans groups.
It’s basically organised plinking, we have been doing it for about 10 yrs.
steel plate of all sizes out to 200 yards, and we run what we call the no balls challenge- the 200 yard plate offhand with a Winder in 22 short. It is just a hoot. The guy who helped put the Springfield together collects 22’s mostly military trainers he has a couple M2’s. We have added the Springfield and also my my Rem no 6 falling block to the no balls challenge.
Great looking rifles guys, nothing like old guns specially in 22.
Kevin