• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vintage 50 yard sniper rifle.

shoepop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2005
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Well it's vintage and guess could be used as a sniper rifle in a pinch. Best part it was free from neighbor lady who's vet husband passed and she wanted it out of house. She refused any payment because I do little things around here home. Looks unmolested but I know squat about M1 carbines.

IMG_0219.jpg

Re: Vintage 50 yard sniper rifle.

Hopefully, that's <span style="font-style: italic">only</span> an M1 ...

give you 50 bucks for it. 1 dollar for every yard you stated it would be used for.

Good deal. I used to have one of these when i first started hunding. Dad would only load 3 rounds in the mag so i would not shoot holes in everything(him). It was sold and now i am at a loss. Congrats on a good deal. I am jelous.

Kirk

You underestimate the .30 Carbine...should be effective to at least 75yds...maybe 100yds if you are REALLY good!
wink.gif

Seriously, all joking aside...there's nothing wrong with the .30 M1 Carbines at all. What are the specs (mfg, serial range, etc.)? How does the barrel/muzzle wear look? Hopefully it isn't a Universal or other commercial hack job.

I know enough to rule out an M2
wink.gif
. Serial # Inland 928854 on receiver, Inland MFG. DIV. General Motors 10-43 on barrel. Bore looks very good not dark, muzzle no dings. Overall not beat like one would expect. Neighbor said her husband was a driver for an officer in Europe which would explain not beat to death that was about all she knew. It came with 4 mags and she said she remembers "other green pouches" and will look. I need to google up disassembly, I don't have a clue.

They used them as sniper rifles in the Korean and early part of the Vietnam war. The mounted Infared Scopes, they were quite effective at short ranges at night.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They used them as sniper rifles in the Korean and early part of the Vietnam war. The mounted Infared Scopes, they were quite effective at short ranges at night. </div></div>
Yep, the M-3's served well, but only with guys that had no issue working close. Somewhat effective for ambush surveillance, if you could hide that big ass, red lenses. One guy leading us once walked right off a 50 foot drop using one to led a H/K patrol, as they allowed for no depth perception at all. A little faster for complete blackout travel than fishing line, but not much.

carbine-nightsniper300.jpg

this is a post WWII rebuild. They didn't have a bayonet lug till very late war. Late 44 and 45. Adjustable sights are also late WWII.
More pics of mag area will determine if it a M2 stock. Parts are
more than likly a mix of the different manufacturers of the M1 Carbine.

The only marks I could find on the stock were an A at the bottom of the pistol grip and what looks to be a J in rear sling cut out. I don't know what an M2 cut out looks like. Did take it apart to clean, #'s all over but none matched or made sense to me. Sure is easy to disassemble.

this shows the cutout. It is a cut area to allow for a selector switch on the M2's which would make the stock a korean era stock known as a "potbelly"

also your handguard is korean era, it has 4 rivets, all WW2 era ones have only 2

I cant quite tell from your pic but is your bolt round or flat(like the ones below)? a round bolt is an M2 bolt, it was beefier due to the full auto capability of the M2

M2cutout.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I cant quite tell from your pic but is your bolt round or flat(like the ones below)? a round bolt is an M2 bolt, it was beefier due to the full auto capability of the M2 </div></div>

The round bolt was not made for the M2, it came out before the M2 was
adopted. It was an upgrade to the flat bolt that had issues of breaking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: n64atlas</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I cant quite tell from your pic but is your bolt round or flat(like the ones below)? a round bolt is an M2 bolt, it was beefier due to the full auto capability of the M2 </div></div>

The round bolt was not made for the M2, it came out before the M2 was
adopted. It was an upgrade to the flat bolt that had issues of breaking.

</div></div>

well tweek my nipples and call me maser, i stand corrected

I wish I had neighbors as friendly as yours.

The NRA published a book approx. thirty years ago "Shots Fired in Anger" by LtCol. John George. He shot NRA competition for the Ill. National Guard prior to WW II. Was commissioned as an Infantry Lt.. Took his National Match 03 to Guadacanal. Volunteered for Merrils Marauders and fought in Burma. He is very complementary of the M1 Carbine for use in the Burma jungle.
He also does a comparison of American and Jap. weapons. The NRA book is a 2nd Edition of his first 1947 ed.. Has 535 pages, and is one of the best WW II books out there. Its a shame that Amazon wants 100.00 to 200.00 for an original NRA edition or his 1947 ed.. His analysis of Jap weapons alone is worth 100. I can't say enough about this book.
Very good book by a real shooter.
Terry

Sometimes the ammo is getting hard to fInd or expensive. cMP has some made in Mexico for all the carbines we gave them. It is good quality and I have had no problems with it.
Majvret