• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vintage ammo; could use some input

TheBigCountry

Green Weenie
Supporter
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2013
    I was gifted a few en bloc clips of 30-06 ammo since I have an M1 Garand. All that is stamped on it is WT 42. Any info as to what this is? I think it’s AP, but I’m also curious if it’s corrosive? I’m giving the Garand a vigorous cleaning just in case.

WT doesnt ring any bells. Sure it isnt TW?
    That would be the headstamp for the Twin Cities Army Ammunition Plant (TCAAP) in Arden Hills, MN.
    All U.S. 30-06 military ammo manufactured before 1954 IIRC was corrosive primed.

WT doesnt ring any bells. Sure it isnt TW?
    That would be the headstamp for the Twin Cities Army Ammunition Plant (TCAAP) in Arden Hills, MN.
    All U.S. 30-06 military ammo manufactured before 1954 IIRC was corrosive primed.
    I took another peak and it’s definitely TW 42. Thank you. Damn fat fingers typing. A few rounds had pierced primers but didn’t fire, and I’m thinking I might just hold onto what I have left and not shoot it.

Reactions: Lange Carabine
    I don't know why but the CMP forum members love any flavor 30.06 AP and will pay top dollar for it. I fired plenty of AP ammo in the past and don't get the love for it. My reloads are more accurate. Seriously, FGMM is cheaper per round than what they ask for it.

Age isnt the issue

but.....

With corrosive primers rust will be.

Clean that rifle thoroughly to include the total gas system.

It will rust.

I fired some Korean KA in mine without realizing it was corrosive and three weeks later, after learning it was, on breakdown discovered rust was dusting the op rod and likely doing same to the barrel.

Ballistol mixed with some water is a good cleaner. I used WWII GI stuff that smells like creosote and contains water.

Water is required to dissolve the salts....oil alone wont do it.

I shot the rest of my corrosive in a 1903.....much easier cleaning.

Age isnt the issue

but.....

With corrosive primers rust will be.

Clean that rifle thoroughly to include the total gas system.

It will rust.

I fired some Korean KA in mine without realizing it was corrosive and three weeks later, after learning it was, on breakdown discovered rust was dusting the op rod and likely doing same to the barrel.

Ballistol mixed with some water is a good cleaner. I used WWII GI stuff that smells like creosote and contains water.

Water is required to dissolve the salts....oil alone wont do it.

I shot the rest of my corrosive in a 1903.....much easier cleaning.

made that mistake with my BAR...was cleaning for ever

I shoot nothing but surplus corrosive ammo in my Mosins (still have some unopened 440 rd spam cans that I bought for like $99). Always just clean with hot water and a couple patches of Mr. Clean ammonia for good measure, don't forget to clean the bolt face, and then oil like any other and have been good to go. Many years ago I worked with an engineer who was also one of my college instructors who had been a 16 year old panzer crewman at the end of WW2 and he always told me they were trained to pull the bolt on their Mausers and piss down the breach. He still laughed about the fact that some guys didn't pull the bolt all the way out and got an "M1 dickhead"!

Eh as others have said, skip shooting it and sell it. Early war ammo like that isn't common. Are the enbloc WW2 marked as well? I'd sell it. WW2 enblocs aren't common either.

picked up a bunch of this stuff pre pandemic still expensive back then but it shoots nice + it came in a tin which was sort of neat and with cloth bandoliers and clips

I got a bunch of that stuff when the CMP first got it in. It was something like $384.00 for 1,440 rounds of the stuff, (3 cases). Christ, now they want over $1.00 @ round for it! Unbelievable!

kXX6Aje.jpg

I got a bunch of that stuff when the CMP first got it in. It was something like $384.00 for 1,440 rounds of the stuff, (3 cases). Christ, now they want over $1.00 @ round for it! Unbelievable!

kXX6Aje.jpg

Its great ammo for the Garand/03 and though not match will take down most game animals brass is great for reloading too.

That was a good period in CMP time 2000 up until about 2012.

Its great ammo for the Garand/03 and though not match will take down most game animals brass is great for reloading too.

That was a good period in CMP time 2000 up until about 2012.

I agree. They had some good deals for shooters back then. I remember their like new, rebuilt Garands they sold for $1K. Today most everything they sell is picked over, and ridiculously overpriced. Very few deals at all anymore.