• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vintage ammo?

Janus4088

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2009
San Jose, CA
Is vintage ammo sought after by collectors? My neighbor just gave me all of this ammo he has had for years that he wants to sell. I told him I would help him find out if it is worth anything, aside from the obvious 'just shoot it' - is there a collector value?

Here is 30% of it:
41cbC2r.jpg

Super X
7UHONkb.jpg

Super X back label
6Woyluo.jpg

Hi-Speed
I1FjFNH.jpg

Hi-Speed back label
wMo7wx0.jpg

Super X Blue
yQsYBLh.jpg

Super X Blue rear label

Remington
2tWpPa6.jpg

Remington .30-.30 back label
vKcTYsK.jpg

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 7UHONkb.jpg
    7UHONkb.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 31
  • wMo7wx0.jpg
    wMo7wx0.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 30
  • yQsYBLh.jpg
    yQsYBLh.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 2tWpPa6.jpg
    2tWpPa6.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Two ways to look at this:

1) Depends how it's been stored, if it's still in reasonable usable condition and is shootable.

If I were putting it in a gun and using...not keeping as a treasured possession...why would I pay more than the going rate to do that?

2) There are people who collect anything...even ammo and vintage ammo boxes...and who will pay for the privilege.

Can't see any real point in paying a "collector's" premium and then shooting all the ammo.

Be a bit like drinking so-called "investment" wines to me.

Value? Whatever someone will pay for it. Seen empty German issue WW2 Mauser 8x57 boxes go for silly money.

I do not think it will bring a premium. It should sell OK. The Win Silvertip boxes with the bear on them bring a good price. The plain yellow ones are not in much demand.
I purchased 55 boxes of Silvertip 300 H&H ammo a while back of about this vintage in perfect condition. I am just shooting it.
RTH

The blue and yellow Western predates 1968 as noted by the lack of a zipcode in the address. Based on some ammo I have I would date them to the mid-50's. A lot of people (myself included) like to put "packages" together combining guns and period correct ammo and accessories.

Post war ammo is not quite as collectable unless it is prototype stuff, but years ago I knew a guy that made shadow boxes with ammo boxes, magazine ads, etc and got crazy money for them.

Before ammo took off you could buy Winchester (Rifle) Silver-tip for .35-60 cents a round. Now I don't know.
That said, Winchester Silver-tip in .308 and 30-06 is worth way more than that to guys who had it brought into S.E. Asia from the States or the Philippines. It was used to make a statement and worked very well for that purpose.
That ammo was designed to penetrate deep before opening up and immediately if it hit bone. Many stateside hunters gave( and still give) it a bad rap as when they shot deer and it just passed threw like a FMJ. On dangerous game is where it shined, same as head shots. The 150 gr was the first choice, with the 180 gr second in .308. In 30-06 it was 180 first and 220 second. Back then that ammo "was all that" and was used on many parts of this rock.

Is the ammo still available and if so how much are you asking for the silvertip 30-06 ammo?