• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vintage LC match

midmoguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2013
Eastern KC
I found these buried in my grandpas ammo and thought they were pretty neat. Never opened, not sure if they are valuable but they are to me. I posted them on ar15 a while back and basically got stupid responses including a guy who says he had thousands and shoots them all the time. Anyway hopefully they are better appreciated here. 20130605_114003.jpg

Ammo collectors want the boxes. They sell on E-bay all the time. Shooters want a case with the same lot number. Keep them, they are a good start for an ammo collection or a display. An yes, us old farts have 1,000s for the DCM days :)

Pretty decent stuff if it was a good lot, and made right down the road from you in Blue Springs/Independence. The guy on AR15 may not have been BS'ing you either. Tons of the M118 made, and a lot of it's still out there.

The back of the one facing forward is a 1967, the 1965 is XM118 not really sure what the difference is. I was tempted to run the open box through the M14 in the background just for fun.

The back of the one facing forward is a 1967, the 1965 is XM118 not really sure what the difference is.

An "X" designation in front of any piece of ordnance merely indicates it's experimental. The XM21 is a perfect example that everyone here is already familiar with. Once the type was standardized and the system adopted, it simply became the M21. Ditto for XM118 and the final version, the M118. Interesting side note here; the new M118LR was given that designation so that they didn't have to go through the lengthy type classification process the military would have required had they given it a fully different identification. Merely adding the LR suffix allowed them to use the primary M118 designator, even though the two are actually totally different cartridges. One of the good examples of our government cutting a corner (sensibly) and saving some time and a major amount of taxpayer dollars in the process.

Thanks for the excellent info Kevin. I didn't realize that's how the x system worked. Glad to hear they saved some of our tax dollars for once at least. ;)

yea picked up a couple of boxes of this stuff a while back myself...it looks too goo sitting on the shelf to shoot!

I am glad you clarified the M118 marked 1967 because I have 1 box of LC 1964 out of 3000rds I bought years ago and it is marked XM118. Didn't notice the X until I shot it all.