• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vintage Model 70 Varmint

Augie1

Private
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2018
Have been looking for quite awhile for a Pre 64 Winchester Model 70 heavy barrel varmint in .243. Finally located one next state over and was able to make a deal. Made in 1958, has 100% metal finishes, nice wood grain with some dings and scrapes, not bad for a 63 year old rifle. Rifle is topped with a vintage 12X Unertl Ultra Varmint that is also high condition.
IMG_4604.jpeg
IMG_4594.jpeg
IMG_4598.jpeg

Last edited:
Absolutely gorgeous. Will it be a shooter?

Thanks for all the comments. I had it out the other day and it shows promise, once I have the ability to work up some loads for it I'm thinking it should do 1/2" or so at 100. I have other Unertl's but this is the first 2" Ultra Varmint I've owned, it is very clear and bright compared to my others.
Big challenge right now is finding reloading components or ammo in .243, finally found some brass and bullets but not quite the selection of bullets I would like. I reload many calibers but was not set up for .243, luckily have plenty powder and primers.

Figured I would update the thread. Was able to work up some loads and get the rifle out to the range again. It is starting to come together and I am getting an idea of what the rifle likes. Seems to prefer bullet weights of 70 to 100 grains, tried some 58 grain loads and accuracy was not that good.
A 10 shot 100 yard target, with continued load development hope to shrink that by half.
IMG_0980.jpeg

It being a factory 243 Win....the barrel twist is going to be 1-10. It's will most likely like heavier bullets and not the lighter ones.

If you shoot the lighter ones make sure they are good quality bullets and or your loaded ammo doesn't have a lot of runout in it. Crappy bullets and or ammo with a lot of runout in a faster twist is going to amplify any problems the ammo has.

Those 55gr to 58gr bullets will fly out of a 14 twist. The 10 twist is way faster than what you need.

Nice looking stick by the way! Love those old Unertls!

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

It being a factory 243 Win....the barrel twist is going to be 1-10. It's will most likely like heavier bullets and not the lighter ones.

If you shoot the lighter ones make sure they are good quality bullets and or your loaded ammo doesn't have a lot of runout in it. Crappy bullets and or ammo with a lot of runout in a faster twist is going to amplify any problems the ammo has.

Those 55gr to 58gr bullets will fly out of a 14 twist. The 10 twist is way faster than what you need.

Nice looking stick by the way! Love those old Unertls!

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Thanks for the information Frank.

Reactions: Frank Green
try the 110 gr SMK's
If it's a 10 twist you won't be able to stabilize anything heavier than a 100gr hunting bullet the vast majority of the time. If it's a button rifled barrel with any twist variance in it....it will cause you even more problems.

The 110smk's need like around a 1-7.5 twist min to fly/stabilize properly and that's at 2800fps.

The best bullet/weight wise for him to try are in the 85gr to 100gr range.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

That is one sweet find!

I am green with envyoshisness.

Congratulations.

BugIn

Reactions: Augie1