• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vintage Remington 700 HB 308

kujuak

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2017
Just received a surpise gratiude gift of an as new 25 or more year old Remington 700 Hb rifle, 308. What the heck to do with it.:unsure: Too heavy, glossy, nice to hunt with.I shoot my AI for long range 308 fun. What the heck to do with this nice toy?I don't want to sell it just now since it was a very thoughtful gift.All suggestions appreciated before I wax it/wrap it and stick it in the back of the safe..

If it were mine, I'd work up speed-of-light load with 110 gr. Sierra varmint or 125 Nosler B.T.'s, mount a simple fixed power scope and turn furry little critters into small little bits. All this after bedding it, of course.

I sure wouldn't mess with it to much. I love those old 700 BDL's.

They were nice rifles for sure. I wouldn't go with 110's though. I would take the 118's or 125's. Same thing though, as Nodakplowboy say's. Go p-dogging with it and have a blast...pun intended.:cool:

Or, you could yank that barrel and put a six-something on there and shoot them from even farther.

Added: that barrel should be a 1-12" twist. Going anything heavier than 175's with it won't work. And, that only out to transonic. Not enough twist to keep the bullet stable enough to go through the transonic well. Remington had great ideas about short range accuracy. After all they hired some top notch benchrest people of the day. Problem was, that was all about short range accuracy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nodakplowboy
Interesting, along with the rifle I got 4 boxes of Accelerator ammo, plus about 300rds of new 150 and 180 gr ammo. Like I said,one helluva gift, gtta the blue. Guess it pays to give a damn some times.

Last edited:
Interesting, along with the rifle I got 4 boxes of Accelerator ammo, plus about 300rds of new 150 and 180 gr ammo. Like I said,m one helluva gift, gotta the blue. Guess it pays to give a damn some times.
I stand corrected. A 1-12" twist will stabilize 180's. The transonic issue is still there, though.

Shot my gift.It seems to prefer 150gr over 175gr bullets. A real eye opener. Glossy, slick stock, slippery plastic endplate.Fairly crappy trigger. It's pristine, so I think I'm just going to put it away for awhile and get back to trying to wear out my 308 AI/AT barrel.