• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vintage Rifle Ammo

kraigWY

CMP GSM MI
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2006
Wyoming
Besides '06 n such, CMP is selling 6.5X55 Ammo, and will soon start selling 8x57, 7.62x54R, and .303 British.

This is Match stuff from Hornady.

I reload, but if one doesn't, then this is a good sourse of ammo for CMP GSM matches.

CMP, Your one stop shopping for Vintage rifle shooting.

Re: Vintage Rifle Ammo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armydog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the Brit stuff will be cool, its getting hard to find.
</div></div>

+1! I reload so it isn't as big a deal for me, but finding ANY decent .303 ammo on the commercial side is an exercise in wasting time! It just isn't out there for the most part perhaps with the exception of the Hornady custom 150gr ILSP load which still isn't "match" by most standards. I'll be anxious to see how the Hornady match .303 round will perform and what bullet they'll be offering with it. I assume it'll run their 174gr BTHP bullet.

ORD, I picked up a can of HXP 303 ammo. The stuff shoots sub-MOA in my Pattern 14 Enfield. Keep an eye out for this stuff.

We'll have to see if the CMP ends up issuing this stuff next year for the Games matches Kraig. The way the rules read, you must use the issued ammo if it is issued or any safe ammo. Back when the CMP was issuing the HXP, several of us abandoned the 30-06 rifles and went the foreign service rifle route just to have decent ammo to shoot.

Wonder if they'll add the Swiss ammo too? Lots of guys shooting these rifles in the Games matches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ORD, I picked up a can of HXP 303 ammo. The stuff shoots sub-MOA in my Pattern 14 Enfield. Keep an eye out for this stuff.</div></div>

I have some HXP tucked away for "a rainy day" and I agree...GREAT stuff if/when you can get it although its been a while since I have seen any good quantities for sale (some small lots...like <100 rounds or so...pop up for sale on GunBroker, etc. once in a while).

I've got some early 70's match grade in both 308 and 30-06 ...have heard it has corrosive primers though so a cleaning is absolutely required after the fact....

Artic...the last year of corrosive primers in American Military ammo was 1954. With other countries...who knows?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got some early 70's match grade in both 308 and 30-06</div></div>

If you are talking about LC or FA (US Government) it wasn't corrosive primers. Don't know where that rumor came from.

I've used M-118 from the 60s up to it becoming Brown Box and replaced with M852.

I've also used tons of M-72 In sniper schools and issue to the Air Guard guys who were issued Garands. (Most from the 60s), it isn't corrosive either.

I'll have to look up when the army quit using corrosive primers but it was well before the 70s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got some early 70's match grade in both 308 and 30-06</div></div>

If you are talking about LC or FA (US Government) it wasn't corrosive primers. Don't know where that rumor came from.

I've used M-118 from the 60s up to it becoming Brown Box and replaced with M852.

I've also used tons of M-72 In sniper schools and issue to the Air Guard guys who were issued Garands. (Most from the 60s), it isn't corrosive either.

I'll have to look up when the army quit using corrosive primers but it was well before the 70s. </div></div>

Dang Kraig, with that much of a history lesson coming from your first hand experience, something tells me you were around (and shed a tear) when they retired the 1874 Trap Door SPfld and adopted the Krag
wink.gif

Us youngun's got all that ammo you listed above - in our collectable ammo stash.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ORD, I picked up a can of HXP 303 ammo. The stuff shoots sub-MOA in my Pattern 14 Enfield. Keep an eye out for this stuff.</div></div>

I have some HXP tucked away for "a rainy day" and I agree...GREAT stuff if/when you can get it although its been a while since I have seen any good quantities for sale (some small lots...like <100 rounds or so...pop up for sale on GunBroker, etc. once in a while). </div></div>

Prvi Partisan does the .303, its standard fare over here in the UK(174gr FMJ), can you get it? Not saying its sub MOA but it generally shoots pretty well. I was under the impression Privi exported to the US (Midway?).

Yes, the PRVI offerings in .303 (and most other calibers) are available here in the States.

HOWEVER, my experience with 99% of the ammo that PRVI offers (at least what we get over on this side of the pond) is of fair consistency and accuracy at best. Yes, it is possible to obtain reasonable accuracy with it depending on the rifle/shooter, but heaven help you from one lot to the next and even within the same lot, you may get some weird, unexplained flyers that are 100% the result of poor tolerances overall, high/low powder charges, etc. I had some .308 168gr "Match" a while back and pulled a box of 20 apart just to check to see if I was imagining things and the discrepancies between the powder charges were fairly significant in my opinion (2 out of 20 had charges that were 1.4gr and 0.8gr respectively lighter than the average charge). Additionally, I found that when measuring COAL before pulling them apart that some rounds were seated as much as 0.18 deeper/shorter than others. As you can imagine, getting any consistency out of the ammo is a CHORE! Those sorts of issues are just inexcusable in my book regardless of how cheap or available it is, so I'll spend my money on reloading components before I buy PRVI factory stuff.

Again...it all comes down to what you want to do with it I suppose. For putting lead down range or general plinking...PRVI is probably ok. When shooting for accuracy or for match conditions...skip it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, the PRVI offerings in .303 (and most other calibers) are available here in the States.

HOWEVER, my experience with 99% of the ammo that PRVI offers (at least what we get over on this side of the pond) is of fair consistency and accuracy at best. Yes, it is possible to obtain reasonable accuracy with it depending on the rifle/shooter, but heaven help you from one lot to the next and even within the same lot, you may get some weird, unexplained flyers that are 100% the result of poor tolerances overall, high/low powder charges, etc. I had some .308 168gr "Match" a while back and pulled a box of 20 apart just to check to see if I was imagining things and the discrepancies between the powder charges were fairly significant in my opinion (2 out of 20 had charges that were 1.4gr and 0.8gr respectively lighter than the average charge). Additionally, I found that when measuring COAL before pulling them apart that some rounds were seated as much as 0.18 deeper/shorter than others. As you can imagine, getting any consistency out of the ammo is a CHORE! Those sorts of issues are just inexcusable in my book regardless of how cheap or available it is, so I'll spend my money on reloading components before I buy PRVI factory stuff.

Again...it all comes down to what you want to do with it I suppose. For putting lead down range or general plinking...PRVI is probably ok. When shooting for accuracy or for match conditions...skip it. </div></div>

Fair point!

I've only ever used the Prvi factory in .303 and it is adequate for 100 - 300 yard plinking and general use. I'd never consider buying any other calibre (as I reload for everything with Lapua) apart from maybe .44 mag.

I did buy some Prvi 168 BTHP heads for practice and can say the weight variation was 168 +/- 5 grains! Fine once it was sorted but certainly no SMK or Scenar.

Its one saving grace is that for .303 it is pretty cheap and the cases are of a reasonable quality for reloading.

for real? never collected USA rifles,so,have no experience with CMP. was mostly mosins/mausers. how do you gain access to them 6.5x55 commercial match? i'll sign up for that!

Mike, here is your 6.5X55

You don't have to sign up, but to buy guns and ammo from CMP you do have to send proof of citizenship.

CMP 6.5X55 Ammo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike, here is your 6.5X55

You don't have to sign up, but to buy guns and ammo from CMP you do have to send proof of citizenship.

CMP 6.5X55 Ammo </div></div>

Kraig, what is considered proof of citizenship, and how do you contact the people at CMP(besides FAX)?
I've tried to contact them for weeks with no return calls. Their forum link doesn't even work as they say there is some Microsoft problem and it's out of order?!?!?!

Mike

This the link for requirements. Once you get to this link you can link an order form. Also Contact Info for CMP.

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/eligibility.htm

Once you make your first order, you're in their system, then you can order over the internet via their e-store. Everything (including guns and ammo) is delivered to your door via Fed Ex. Guns and ammo require an adult person to be on hand to receive shipment. You'll get an E-mail notification from both CMP and Fed Ex on the time and date of delivery.

It's a lot easier then it appears on the site. The CMP Staff are extremely helpful, a simple call and they will line you up.

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/eligibility.htm

CMP (then DCM) was set up by Teddy Roosevelt for the Army to provide Surplus firearms and training to the American Citizen. The Army (DCM) was always under funded and under staffed. The did a great job for the Staff and funding they had.

In 1996, congress changed things a bit, contracting to the Civilians (CMP) Under this new charter, they have the same mission. Providing surplus firearms (and ammo) and training to the American Citizen. Under CMP they get no funding from tax dollars, Now they are allowed to use the sales to fund the program. Under CMP management, they've hire more staff, increased sales, and improved their training programs.

Now CMP is in cahoots with the AMU providing training for both the military and civilians.

They also got hornady involved and hornady now produces match ammo for military surplus rifles to support the CMP GSM (Grand, Springfield and Military (Vintage) rifle matches.

Give their website a good look see. Outstanding program.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike, here is your 6.5X55

CMP 6.5X55 Ammo </div></div>

Kraig, what is considered proof of citizenship, and how do you contact the people at CMP(besides FAX)?
I've tried to contact them for weeks with no return calls. Their forum link doesn't even work as they say their is some Microsoft problem and it's out of order?!?!?! </div></div>

I have no clue what "sign up" Kraig is referring to.

The procedure to buy firearms from the CMP is very clearly spelled out on their web site. You communicate with them by sending in your packet of required documents along with the order form (printed out off their web site) for what you want.

Once you are set up in their system so that they have your current CMP club membership card, proof of citizenship (the packet will ask for a copy of your passport or birth certificate), and you have a valid e-store login and password, you can buy ammo on subsequent orders.

Mike, this page works just fine for the CMP -

http://odcmp.com/sales.htm

Go down the left side and read the links for e-store, faqs, forms, ordering information - it is all there.

There is also a Forums link that takes you to a working forum -

http://forums.thecmp.org/

No Ouija Board needed to do business with them - just follow the procedure on their web site.

What I referred to when I said "Signed Up" is that once you make an order from CMP, the CMP gives you a customer (or CMP number). With that, you don't have to re-submit your info for future orders.

An example, you are required to provide Proof of Citizen Ship when you order firearms or ammo. You do that once. The CMP assigns you a customer number, and you don't have to re-submit the proof of citizenship. (or proof of club affilation, or firearms experience).

No its not like the NRA where you become a Member, and go from there. But the CMP does need some method of tracking customers, to prevent us from having to jump through hoops for future orders.

As a side note, they do the same thing when you compete in CMP events, such as GSM Matches, Leg Matches or any other CMP programs.

This will normally be the same number the CMP assigns to your sales or customer number.

That is what I referred to as "signing up".

The exception to the rule is rifle sales, On you first order, your signature has to be notorized. Future orders just require the signature (not notorized). This notorized signature is good for three years.