• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vintage scopes - what's your favourite?

BasraBoy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Was going to post this as part of another thread...but why not make it a thread on its own??

Some views through various WW2 vintage scopes for comparison. All fixed mag. Just to see what the boys back then had to work with....:

Firstly - this is the view from the back of the house. the white truck and barn are ranged at 198 yards from the window:

Scopeshots-1.jpg

2) British No32 MkIII x3.5. This scope is dated 1944 and has internal adjustment on both windage and elevation in 1 MOA clicks with elevation drum marked in 100 yard incremants related to the bullet drop of the 174gr MkVII round

No321.jpg

Nice field of view but always feel the aim point could be more defined...a bit blunt?

3) German Zeiss ZF39 Zielvier (x4). This scope is serial numbered in the low 11000's - I've been told this is pre-war manufacture. Elevation is internally adjusted but there are no clicks, just a marked and continual rotation drum (100m increments from 100m out to 800m) calibrated for the 8x57IS round...not easy to be too precise on adjustments. Windage is not adjustable on the scope but is set on the scope mount (in this case an SSR) using opposing screws. So...set at zeroing and left alone. Aim off for wind.

ZF39x42.jpg

A beatifully clear and light scope, reticle is quite thick but very usable...shame about the adjustments!

3) The Unertl x8

Unertlx83-1.jpg

Can't really comment on the usability of this baby yet - not mounted on the rifle! However, I love the reticle - fine, does not obscure the target and the magnification is great. Clicks are 1/4 MOA, externally mounted. I think this is going to be a great scope to use.....

Favourite?

Tough call.....Unertl has great mag and a nice slim reticle but the clarity of the Zeiss is hard to beat. The No32 is robust, easy to zero and has easy to use adjustments...

Re: Vintage scopes - what's your favourite?

Sir,
What vintage is the Unertl. Pre war? Is it the USMC 1.25 model or bigger Obj?
Thank you
RTH

Re: Vintage scopes - what's your favourite?

If ya ever want to sell that ZF-39 put me first in line!!

I'm looking for one.