• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vintage Sniper Kit

eodcam

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2011
Panama City
I'm was sitting here thinking about how we fanatics try to make our rifles as "Spec" as possible and then I started thinking about the rest of the Kit. How far do we actually go? I was reading Senich's USMC Korea Book and noticed what Van Orden said they should issue for spotting scopes and the next thing I know I have a Argus Super Grade and a Mossberg Spot shot both Mossberg Spot shot Stands. Is their something wrong with me????

Re: Vintage Sniper Kit

Too funny - I shoot a Soviet Mosin Nagant PU sniper - have been thinking of picking up a WWI-style Soviet back pack to use as my support. Trying to keep it real.

It's a sickness kind of like cancer. Until I got into Russian sniper rifles, I would never have even thought about buying a set of 1941 made Russian binoculars.

1941GOMZBinoculars001.jpg

1941GOMZBinoculars.jpg

cool.gif

OK - hands up to this. I'm addicted/share the sickness

I'll aim to kit out all my milsurps with period correct slings, correct scopes, scope covers, spare mags (if appropriate), cleaning kit and bayonet. If I can, I'll also try to get a full set of front sight blades, always useful to have! If I can't find an original item in good condition at the right price, I'll get a repro, as long as it is near t the original as possible.

My best/worst obsession (depending on your point-of-view
wink.gif
) is my No4T:

No4TCES001.jpg

- Rifle wears repro 1907 sling (Turner Slings "Historic") and correct pattern scope caps from Moore Leather (Hide member "saddler")
- Bakerlite oiler and broad arrow marked pull through in butt trap
- Transit Chest was made for me by a guy called Rick Grant in Canada - very high quality and accurate repro for a fraction of the cost of a buggered up original!
- Original Scope tin (with repro strap, again from "Saddler"). First pattern, and with rare trials rifle serial number
- Original Scout Regt Scope with carry case and strap
- Original unissued No4 Cleaning Kit - including gauzes
- Original unissued canvas carry bag (missing the shoulder strap). This is probably the most pointless bit of issue kit imaginable....the rifle will only fit in it if you take the scope off (who wants to do that once zeroed?). So many were used with the top cut to let the rifle slip in with the scope attached...but of course the scope still stuck out of the bag in the muck and weather!
- Original ruptured case extractor
- Original and marked canvas .303 bandolier x2
- Set of No4 front sight blades in all issued size - not shown
- '44 dated Bren gun webbing sling (preferred by many to the 1907 for it's longer length and ease of use) - not shown
- Spike bayonet with frog (MkII pattern) - not shown
- Spare thumbwheels and springs for scope mount/bracket - not shown
- Spare unissued mag - not shown

I've even got a copy of the War Department's 1940 training pamphlet issued to precision marksmen.

All I'm looking for now is a MkIII Compass.....

Truth is, I've got way more stuff for this rifle than I'll ever use or would need.

But it was fun tracking it all down at the time.

I took (still take) the view that it's better to get the bits when you can. As these rifles get older, it may be a lot harder/more expensive to find them. Also...as this thread proves...anyone who may buy the gun later may also appreciate all the "extras"!

Think I should try to get out more?!

laugh.gif
/
blush.gif
/
crazy.gif
(delete as appropriate!!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My best/worst obsession (depending on your point-of-view
wink.gif
) is my No4T:

No4TCES001.jpg

- Rifle wears repro 1907 sling (Turner Slings "Historic") and correct pattern scope caps from Moore Leather (Hide member "Saddler")
- Bakerlite oiler and broad arrow marked pull through in butt trap
- Transit Chest was made for me by a guy called Rick Grant in Canada - very high quality and accurate repro for a fraction of the cost of a buggered up original!
- Original Scope tin (with repro strap, again from "Saddler"). First pattern, and with rare trials rifle serial number
- Original Scout Regt Scope with carry case and strap
- Original unissued No4 Cleaning Kit - including gauzes
- Original unissued canvas carry bag (missing the shoulder strap). This is probably the most pointless bit of issue kit imaginable....the rifle will only fit in it if you take the scope off (who wants to do that once zeroed?). So many were used with the top cut to let the rifle slip in with the scope attached...but of course the scope still stuck out of the bag in the muck and weather!
- Original ruptured case extractor
- Original and marked canvas .303 bandolier x2
- Set of No4 front sight blades in all issued size - not shown
- '44 dated Bren gun webbing sling (preferred by many to the 1907 for it's longer length and ease of use) - not shown
- Spike bayonet with frog (MkII pattern) - not shown
- Spare thumbwheels and springs for scope mount/bracket - not shown
- Spare unissued mag - not shown
</div></div>

I almost thought I was going to score a hatrick there - as I have made quite a few sets of the Transit Chest Handles too!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All I'm looking for now is a MkIII Compass.....</div></div>
<span style="font-style: italic">just the compass???</span>
What about the face veil?
Wristwatch?
Handkerchief?
Chamber Cleaning Stick? <span style="font-style: italic">(er, a late chance for the hatrick as I do these too!! </span>
grin.gif
)

That Turner sling seems little on the short side!
The long section is supposed to be 4-ft & the little one 2-ft. The long section doesn't seem to double back on itself enough...may just be me, but it looks odd as is

Thanks for reminding me Jon....I've got a repro chamber stick too (sorry - not one of yours)!

I'll pass on the clothing though....especially a 70 year old, preowned (and pre-used??) handkerchief
sick.gif
Was there really such a thing??

But anyway...congratulations on your hatrick...you repaired the strap on the Scout Regt scope case lid if you remember! LOL!

The Turner sling fitted is exactly the right dimensions for the vintage 1907....24.7" on the shorter piece, 49" on the longer piece. Must be an optical illusion that it looks wrong. Remember the original slings issued with the No4T were dated to WW1.

Well until Devious buys his pack, I know of two guys that will be sitting in the meetings with me, think there's twelve steps in this one too? Lol

I don't have a British MkIII compass - but I do have a nice MkI with the original instruction sheet. I also have a case for it - on the pistol belt where I have my British Lend-Lease Pre-Victory S&W. Does that count?

404161917.jpg