• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vintage Sniper Rifle Picture Thread

Ledzep

Bullet Engineer
Minuteman
  • Jun 9, 2009
    Hornady
    Everyone likes pictures. :)

collect1_zps8xj0raha.jpg

collect2_zpseoedqp1n.jpg

Type 30 from ~1905 I forget the maker.
    M1898 Krag, Springfield 1899
    Gewehr 98, 1915 Oberndorf
    91/30 PU, 1943 Izhevsk
    M1917, 1918 Eddystone
    Type 99, Late war, also forget maker
    M1903, Springfield 1918 make, new CMP stock, 12x Unertl; replica build
    M1 Garand, Springfield 1943
    K98k, Dot 1944, Yugo Capture Kriegsmodell
    MAS36, 1944
    No.5 Mk1, ROF 1945
    Norinco 97 trench gun replica build

Damn very nice rifles yall.. sweet Mausers scharfshutzek98. Was there ever a large ring 98-based 7x57mm sniper used by any nation's military?

If only our snipers had the technology we have today. How much better would they have been. Amazing what they did with what they had

If only our snipers had the technology we have today. How much better would they have been. Amazing what they did with what they had

Its not about technology. Sniping is about the weaponization of math.

If you shot the Model 1903A4, with crafted match ammo. It could hold its own with any modern rifle of the same caliber.

Technology doesn't mean better, it means easier. For example, take the fancy CNC lathes now. The computer takes the art out of the game.

Take a gander at this lathe. We laugh when we see something like that in a gun shop now. But that lathe has probably done more for rifle/pistol design and inventions then any lathe in history.

IMG_0202.JPG

That is the lathe used by John Moses Browning, I took the photo at the Browning museum in Logan Utah.

Back to the M1903 Rifles I mentioned. Its strong, reliable, and ACCURATE. This is the action the Army used to build their Mann Devices. A device they issue to ammo suppliers to test the accuracy of their ammo.

It was used in several calibers, '06, 308, 30 cal carbine, 22 Hornet, and as pictured below, 45 ACP.

45%20cal%20mann%20device.jpg

Never underestimate old rifles or old machinist.

Its not about technology. Sniping is about the weaponization of math.

If you shot the Model 1903A4, with crafted match ammo. It could hold its own with any modern rifle of the same caliber.

Technology doesn't mean better, it means easier. For example, take the fancy CNC lathes now. The computer takes the art out of the game.

Take a gander at this lathe. We laugh when we see something like that in a gun shop now. But that lathe has probably done more for rifle/pistol design and inventions then any lathe in history.

IMG_0202.JPG

That is the lathe used by John Moses Browning, I took the photo at the Browning museum in Logan Utah.

Back to the M1903 Rifles I mentioned. Its strong, reliable, and ACCURATE. This is the action the Army used to build their Mann Devices. A device they issue to ammo suppliers to test the accuracy of their ammo.

It was used in several calibers, '06, 308, 30 cal carbine, 22 Hornet, and as pictured below, 45 ACP.

45%20cal%20mann%20device.jpg

Never underestimate old rifles or old machinist.

Not it just talking the rifle itself. Look at optics. Have you looked through what they used? That's what I'm saying they were limited and were still bad ass.

Here are a few of mine...

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i184.photobucket.com\/albums\/x34\/raupleminze\/21A1FB2E-6638-40A0-9E4A-CBF061C2DD80_zpsqz4wvvdy.jpg"}[/IMG2]

ScharfshutzeK98,

My Honey Hole gun shop just got three of those DMR K98s with the extremely long eye relief scopes in inventory. One is a possible Israeli reissue. One came with the scope can. Didnt really look at them too hard not knowing much about K98s but I was intrigued by that long eye relief set up.

I understand these were more designated marksman rifles rather than Sniper rifles. What is the story on them please?

ScharfshutzeK98,

My Honey Hole gun shop just got three of those DMR K98s with the extremely long eye relief scopes in inventory. One is a possible Israeli reissue. One came with the scope can. Didnt really look at them too hard not knowing much about K98s but I was intrigued by that long eye relief set up.

I understand these were more designated marksman rifles rather than Sniper rifles. What is the story on them please?

Hey pmclaine,

Yeah they are more of a DMR being only 1.5x. Mine is a reproduction but the price I got it for was too good to pass up. Depending on the price you may want to look into picking one of them up. Here is a little more about them.

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/assessment-of-a-zf-41-optic/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oNTKnYMfI8

-Brian

I liked the one he had with the cupped butt steel.

Being inside the view through the scope was dark but I bet out in the sunshine they light up well enough.

Real interesting concept.

Its basically what our A4 was except it allowed for use of factory sights when the scope was destroyed and it was backed by higher echelon snipers that had more capable equipment.

Only took us 60 odd years to figure it out.

Just received my 43 bnz Single Claw K-98k sniper clone

Here is my byf 44 High Turret sniper with a 4x90 Ajack that was a sporter rescue. It still had the original holes and silver solder in tact when I purchased it.

Here is the K-98k sniper family so far.....

Sharfshutze,

Of them all which is the most effective/competent? That Ajak looks great.

Slightly off topic, how do the Finn M39's compare to the nicer pre war Mausers? Fit/finish/quality/accuracy

Accuracy wise they're some of the better mil-surp rifles. I'd say better than most surviving mausers, on par with Swedes & 1903's. Fit/finish/quality... It's still a mosin. But it's a damn nice mosin. The stocks are awesome, the barrels are way better, and the receivers and internal parts have been worked over. Vastly superior to a plain jane 91/30. Not sure if it's quite on the same level as a nice pre-war K98 or Swede M96, but certainly comparable to a mid-war K98 I think.

Sharfshutze,

Of them all which is the most effective/competent? That Ajak looks great.

Thanks pmclaine! Honestly I need to spend A LOT more time with all of them. I like them all for different reasons, and it is tough to choose just one. I think that the LSR is a great set up from a German engineered perspective. It offers the most comfortable "chin weld", and the mount/base lock up is quite secure. However, windage adjustments having to be made in the mount to me is a downside. So I believe that the PEM mounted on the K-98k is quite a nice match. The Soviet reticle in the PEM scope also appears to be a lot "sharper" on the verticle portion of the reticle rather that the duller or more blunt reticle found in German optics. For me that translates to better accuracy by being more precise in POA.

Reactions: ReplicaSnipers
    Thanks pmclaine! Honestly I need to spend A LOT more time with all of them. I like them all for different reasons, and it is tough to choose just one. I think that the LSR is a great set up from a German engineered perspective. It offers the most comfortable "chin weld", and the mount/base lock up is quite secure. However, windage adjustments having to be made in the mount to me is a downside. So I believe that the PEM mounted on the K-98k is quite a nice match. The Soviet reticle in the PEM scope also appears to be a lot "sharper" on the verticle portion of the reticle rather that the duller or more blunt reticle found in German optics. For me that translates to better accuracy by being more precise in POA.

Perhaps an inappropriate observation to introduce into this topic but I guess it would be a real Sophie's Choice for you the owner of such fine rifles to choose just one.

I guess thats why we all have a safe full of rifles.

Perhaps an inappropriate observation to introduce into this topic but I guess it would be a real Sophie's Choice for you the owner of such fine rifles to choose just one.

I guess thats why we all have a safe full of rifles.

Yeah, it is really hard to choose. I'd have to agree with you.

Not Mine, just nice

https://www.gunsamerica.com/97288648...ifle-30-06.htm [IMG2=JSON]{"alt":"Remington 03-A3 Sniper Rifle 30-06 Guns > Rifles > Military Misc. Rifles US > 1903 Springfield\/Variants","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Remington 03-A3 Sniper Rifle 30-06 Guns > Rifles > Military Misc. Rifles US > 1903 Springfield\/Variants","src":"https:\/\/www.gunsamerica.com\/userimages\/3310\/972886481\/wm_10982179.jpg"}[/IMG2]

ScharfshutzeK98 - which one of the K98 sniper optics used during WW2 is the most capable/best scope? And do you consider the PEM to be better than any/all of the optics used by the Germans?

pmclaine - Do you feel like the change to stamped parts outweights the benefits of easier-to-use sights regarding 03 vs 03A3?

ScharfshutzeK98 - which one of the K98 sniper optics used during WW2 is the most capable/best scope? And do you consider the PEM to be better than any/all of the optics used by the Germans?

pmclaine - Do you feel like the change to stamped parts outweights the benefits of easier-to-use sights regarding 03 vs 03A3?

Had a long post set up for you coyote with more detail but my computer updated mid typing.

No I dont think the milled metal outweighs the advantage of the A3 rear sight.

I do think the 03 is a more accurate rifle when set up properly and using a sight micrometer but there are more reasons for that than just the milled metal.

The A3 sights are more user friendly requiring less training/knowledge. The extra sight radius isnt going to hurt either.

For combat Im guessing they are a big advantage over the M1905 sight.

For service rifle they are good enough and might offer an advantage in the rapid fire events.

My K98k SSR Hensoldt ZF39 Mauser replica. Built up from an original length sporterised 'bring back' Oberndorf 1940 with matching bolt, action, barrel (mint bore), mag plate/trigger guard and screws. The stock and one barrel band from a doner CZ post war K98k laminate, butt cup after market checkered, forward barrel band is milsurp, low swing safety, cleaning rod was lost in storage. Aftermarket sight hood (not shown) and leather rear sight cover and sling. Shoots 1" 100 yd groups with Yugoslav milsurp ammo. No cats were harmed in the taking of these photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0971.JPG
      IMG_0971.JPG
      160 KB · Views: 206
    • IMG_0972.JPG
      IMG_0972.JPG
      157.8 KB · Views: 207
    • IMG_0973.JPG
      IMG_0973.JPG
      158.7 KB · Views: 192
    • IMG_0974.JPG
      IMG_0974.JPG
      147 KB · Views: 226
    • IMG_0975.JPG
      IMG_0975.JPG
      143.4 KB · Views: 167
    • IMG_0976.JPG
      IMG_0976.JPG
      158.6 KB · Views: 188
    • IMG_0979.JPG
      IMG_0979.JPG
      158 KB · Views: 191
    Last edited:
    Slightly off topic, how do the Finn M39's compare to the nicer pre war Mausers? Fit/finish/quality/accuracy
    They are amazing quality and finish (if you'll forgive the pun) and are often in mint or unfired condition. My one has a mint bore that has been slugged at .308 dia so I reload using reweighed powder milsurp with bullets pulled and replaced with milsurp 146gn .308 projectiles crimped into the cannelure and it consistently shoots sub MOA groups. It was made by Valmet and has fantastic sights adjustable at the rear in 25m inclinations and windage adjustable foresight. Lovely to shoot. My German rifles are pretty nice too but I think anyone who owns milsurp rifles would put it right near the top of the list. Even the Nagant bolt is all smoothed off and slick and they modified the trigger to be a beautifully crisp 2 stage.

Don't see many of these around. Is it .308 or .270 or another calibre? Germans make some cool guns!
    I would put money on that one being in .308.

Added: While I totally agree the Germans make cool guns, it's still a huge shame they can't have military cartridges. No 7x57, no 7.92x57 and no .308 (7.62x51). And, of course, they don't get the .223 Rem (5.56). :( They have their ways around that though...when they can have a firearm.:sneaky:

Last edited:
    My A4, this is an old Weaver K 2.5, but I switched to the Malcom M73G4 repo, I like the cross hairs better.
    DSCN0111.JPG

DSCN0110.JPG

And then there is the M1C/Ds of the Alaska National Guard Sniper School.
    M1C-D%20Sniper%20School.jpg

Then the USAMU Sniper School with the M21
    Sniper%20School.jpg
    Here's my M21 replica. Sadly very soon it will be destroyed by the NZ government. Draconian firearms laws have been instituted in the wake of the Christchurch massacre. These will be the last photos of this tremendous rifle. The target picture is 11 shots rapid fire at 500m (all the ammo I had left at the end of the day). The target is known as a figure 11 so at this range the target is marked as 1 point higher than the ring value. RIP.

Attachments

• IMG_0380.JPG
      IMG_0380.JPG
      1,015.5 KB · Views: 289
    • IMG_0381.JPG
      IMG_0381.JPG
      1.1 MB · Views: 322
    • IMG_0382.JPG
      IMG_0382.JPG
      593.6 KB · Views: 274

Here's my M21 replica. Sadly very soon it will be destroyed by the NZ government. Draconian firearms laws have been instituted in the wake of the Christchurch massacre. These will be the last photos of this tremendous rifle. The target picture is 11 shots rapid fire at 500m (all the ammo I had left at the end of the day). The target is known as a figure 11 so at this range the target is marked as 1 point higher than the ring value. RIP.
    Is there any way to ask, "Under what 'legally passed' social-democratic law is it legal for you to impose inability to defend ones self?" Meaning a president/prime minister can't just make laws up as they want to.

Is there any way to ask, "Under what 'legally passed' social-democratic law is it legal for you to impose inability to defend ones self?" Meaning a president/prime minister can't just make laws up as they want to.

You have to be considered "a subject" not a "citizen" in order to get away with that shit.

Reactions: canman

That is BS, sorry to hear it!

Sorry for the loss.

Man Im feeling for you as I bet that causes some tossing and turning at night.

So wrong.

They've wanted to do it to law abiding firearms licence holders for years but we kept them at bay legally until one fucked up Australian jumps the ditch and killed 50 Muslims and fucked it up for us on the backs of a lib-dem backlash. Was just the excuse they needed to push through a very undemocratic process.

They've wanted to do it to law abiding firearms licence holders for years but we kept them at bay legally until one fucked up Australian jumps the ditch and killed 50 Muslims and fucked it up for us on the backs of a lib-dem backlash. Was just the excuse they needed to push through a very undemocratic process.
    My question then is, is it possible to get this action nullified if it doesn’t follow all legal points of your laws?

MAS 49/56 MSE replica. Original scope, butt extension and cheekpiece. Buttplate and stock are copies.

The MSE (Modified St Etienne) version of the MAS 49-56 was developed specifically for international competition shooting by French military teams. The standard MAS 49-56 service rifle was much more of a combat weapon than a target rifle, and the MSE improved several of its shortcomings in that arena. Most significantly, it added a longer stock and a proper pistol grip to improve handling. The MSE also has a substantially improved trigger and iron sights with much finer adjustments that the standard rifle. These elements were combined as a kit of upgrade parts to be dropped onto a regular 49-56; the MSE was not made as a complete new rifle. Only some 900 were originally made, and they are often faked today.

DSCN2189.JPG

DSCN2188.JPG

DSCN2187.JPG

DSCN2186.JPG

DSCN2185.JPG

Sako is manufacturing a limited edition of numbered Sako TRG 22 “Finland 100” sniper rifles with white camouflage, inspired by Finland’s 100-year anniversary. This jubilee model is a true collector’s item.

The TRG 22 “Finland 100” jubilee model is offered in .308 Win caliber. The white snow camouflage colouring of the stock and barrelled action of this real collector’s item reflects the severity of the Finnish winter, and, also pays homage to the heroes of the Winter War.

The Sako TRG 22 “Finland 100” sniper rifle has the text “Finland 100”, and the gun’s serial number is laser-engraved on its frame. The rifle is packaged in a carry case with a jubilee knife with the same engravings as the rifle itself. The jubilee model also comes with two magazines, bipod, muzzle brake and removable open sights.

1549155610603.png

Retail Price 6,800 Euro's

Well $7000 is really too much for a stock TRG 22 with a custom paint job and special engraving. But, I really like the look of the rifle and had to have one. So I built my own. I actually ended up not saving that much and half way into the build found one for sale for $5200. I still came out at less than that, but with all the accessories and the gun case, two magazines ($400 right there), bipod (another $500) and knife it comes with...$5200 isn't that bad a price (it's on sale on GB). Anyway, my gun flat out shoots. Shown is a 100yd 5 shot group measuring about .23 MOA. Other groups were comparable shooting handloads.

DSCN1972.JPG

DSCN1977.JPG

DSCN1978.JPG