• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vintage Sniper Rifle section?

ArcticLight

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2003
Silverdale, WA
I'm trying to talk LowLight into making an antique or "Vintage" sniper rifle section - it's hard finding specific info on some older models.

Anyone interested?

Re: Vintage Sniper Rifle section?

I would be interested, but I don't know how much traffic/interest overall there would be. It seems to me like there have been a couple different threads in recent months with folks asking about the CMP Vintage Sniper Rifle matches, rifles/optics/equipment for them, rules, what's acceptable/unacceptable, etc. There have also been some good threads on vintage rifles in general as well as reproductions of vintage rifles and modifying non-sniper variant rifles into their dedicated sniper counterparts (both for match purposes and "otherwise" in recent months).

Also, I think that "Vintage" brings up several different ideas in different people's minds. Are we talking WWI/WWII or Korea or Vietnam or are we talking more "recent vintage" rifles (sorry for the contradiction in terms). Might be a good idea to narrow the vision/focus for the forum somewhat.

Anyway...just my rambling thoughts/ideas for the morning!
wink.gif

I would be interested if we could keep them "as issued" or un-modified pre-1954 rifles.

CMP Rule: 6.4.3 (Table I) Has a pretty good list of what rifles and scopes were used by different countries. What scopes went with what rifles.

I use to teach sniper schools for the National Guard using M1C/D's. They were quite effective, a bit different but in some ways the same. We used the front sight or scope post as a range finder much like using mildots today.

We know the Enfields and Mosins are being used on the battle fields today so I think there is the need for the subject.

Why limit discussion to "as issued" examples of such rifles? The Enfields and Mosins mentioned above have most likely gone through changes and alterations, and many systems from yesteryear (Zfk55, anyone?) are rarer than hen's teeth and not likely to see much range time.

That would be cool if it doesn't turn into a quoted picture thread and stays within the scope of solid reliable information with sample photos of what the membership owns and collects. I dig seeing those old rifles and the long scopes on them, especially when it is in someone'ssafe that can be seen as 'real' and not some book on a shelf

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That would be cool if it doesn't turn into a quoted picture thread and stays within the scope of solid reliable information with sample photos of what the membership owns and collects. I dig seeing those old rifles and the long scopes on them, especially when it is in someone'ssafe that can be seen as 'real' and not some book on a shelf </div></div>

EXACTLY!

That's the point I want, if someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong in building an accurate "Looking" K98 great - I'll post...

If someone has a pic and wants to share it - post it in there!

VINTAGE to me - ANY THING previous to an M40a3.

M40A1's are vintage too now....

But Vietnam/Korea/WW2/WW1, CIVIL WAR - ANYTHING.....just not modern sniper rifles...there's enough forums for that.

I couldn't contribute very much but I'd really enjoy reading about and looking at some pics of some older sticks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlc356</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I couldn't contribute very much but I'd really enjoy reading about and looking at some pics of some older sticks. </div></div>

Same here.....