• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vintage Sniper Rifle Transport *FINISHED* Now with 100% more PEW!

buffalowinter

Freer of the Oppressed
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2014
    Llano, TX
    I thought I would post this here because the guys who follow "Vintage Sniper Rifes" seem to like this stuff. If moderators find this inappropriate, let me know and I'll stop. I recently bought a 1919a4 semi-auto kit from SirH and now have a 1919a4/a6. Well there is no point in having a 1919 without having something appropriate to haul it...and all my vintage sniper rifles (there's the connection to this forum). So I finally bought a Jeep after looking for one off and on for the last 12 years. This is not an original WWII jeep but it is close enough, and by the time I am done it will be pretty close visually and very cool. It is a Jeep CJ3 body and us postal jeep engine and transmission. Down side...not original GI...up side...clear title, licensed, inspected, tagged, and street legal. It is in perfect running order. I am not going to do anything mechanical to it, just cosmetic. I am waiting on a pedestal mount for the 1919 and a door mount for my BAR. I have a scabbard for my Thompson and my Garand. Have purchased a bunch or original stuff and fabricated some stuff to bring the exterior to original GI. Wire cutter, jerry can, bumpers, tow pintle, pioneer tools, ammo boxes, camo net, tow bar, seats, data plate, door straps, correct wheels and tires , footmen, stencils for markings and WWII paint. This will be a copy of a 101/ABN 506 PIR jeep. I have stencils for my name and my drivers name from when I was a Company Commander in the 101st before moving on to SF.

DSCN2557.JPG
    78171643_1658859970915550_7710244527214166016_n.jpg
    DSCN2559.JPG
    DSCN2574.JPG
    DSCN2577.JPG
    DSCN2578.JPG

What I'm shooting for

9068706558_3cb7f00231_b.jpg

Overkill

IMG_4262.jpg

I like a more clean approach myself. Those have a lot of stuff hanging on them, but that is a personal choice.

Fantastic!

Good luck with your project.

Obviously your passion for your interests exceeds your desire to accumulate cash on hand.

You will be satisfying your inner passion while bleeding cash at a fast clip.

Screw it you cant take the money with you and the experience of playing "Rat Patrol" on your way to the range will be well worth it.

Reactions: sandwarrior
    Well, spent the entire day and all I got done were the body handles, ax mount, and footmen on the hood to tie down my rolled up camo net. Don't have much feeling in my fingers and screwing the little bolts that hold on the footmen under the dash was agonizing. It's a curse to suffer the Special Forces personality traits of part Type A/obsessive compulsive and part "that's good enough, it'll work fine". I spent an hour trying to fasten the tiny footman bolts, all the while thinking it would be fine to use self tapping screws. But ,every time I looked at the camo net, I would know it was secured by the wrong type of fastener. At the same time, this Jeep has an automatic transmission and I'm fine with that.

DSCN2579.JPG

DSCN2580.JPG

DSCN2581.JPG

DSCN2582.JPG

DSCN2583.JPG

DSCN2584.JPG

Last edited:
    If it makes you feel any better, I bought my Mutt because it was cheaper than an M2 tripod... and a hell of a lot easier to take to the range!!

just got to remember with the M2 that you can’t shoot forward because you will blow all the glass out of the windscreen With concussion.

The 1919 has no such problems...

looks great BW!! And thanks for sending my dollies back!!

Rat Patrol rules!!!

cheers, Sirhr

More body work today, mounted shovel hardware, welded new brake pedal and gas pedal on, installed license plate holders, and
    did first cleaning and taping prior to shooting primer coat. I will shoot the primer coat tomorrow afternoon. Finally got all the parts ordered, it was a challenge finding some. Waiting for tires and my 1919 pedestal and door mounts. Also waiting on data plates, windshield rifle rack, Thompson scabbard, blackout light, tire pump, and jack. I did snag a complete set of BII and a mechanics tools box.

DSCN2589.JPG

DSCN2590.JPG

DSCN2591.JPG

DSCN2592.JPG

DSCN2592.JPG

DSCN2593.JPG

Pretty much, spraying the primer coat today, then some bad weather and probably main color coat Tuesday and stencils Wednesday. Waiting for my back-ordered tires from Jegs, and my pedestal and door mount to be fabricated by Guns of Liberty. I ran into a big snag in that Liberty didn't have any cradles or sockets. I went and overpaid for original cradles and sockets. However, when I was talking to Liberty about their supplier, who said the cradles and sockets were back-ordered from their supplier, I discovered that their supplier was IMA. I've neer seen IMA restock something once it was gone. So I think I made a wise choice rather than waiting for something that probably wasn't going to happen. With cradles and sockets already purchased, I was tempted to just fabricate the rest on my own, but the guy I was talking to at Liberty was really nice and helpful and I figured I'd just go with him. Now I should have my mounts by New Years. I continue to buy stuff and am still waiting for my windshield rack for a Garand, black-out lites, data plates and other small accessories. Spending money like a Navy SEAL with a Black account. I'e also bought a PRC-10 radio for the jeep, jack, tire pump, complete mechanics chest, replica 1919, Thompson, and Garand. Last night I bought this nifty little accessory:

1576775732330.png

Reactions: camocorvette
    Finished the red oxide primer coat. Tires came today, still waiting for tubes. Pretty much at a stand still till Tuesday when I'll shoot the finish coat. I am making a WWII camo net from burlap and fish net and that looks to be a tedious project. Also bought some replica guns to use in public without hassles and I will cerakote them to be indistinguishable from the real thing ftom more than 10 feet away.

DSCN2595.JPG

DSCN2599.JPG

DSCN2596.JPG

Finishing touches on windshield. 101st motto and 2nd battlion 506 PIR identifier. Painted in the "Willys" just for the hell of it

DSCN2601.JPG

WWII camo net example

net2.jpg

Last edited:
    Shooting the final top coat today...stencils tomorrow. Also working on all the little extras. Cerakoted a plastic m1919 for no-hassle cruising in public. Have a nice copy of an original ammo box, dyeing the burlap to make the WWII camo net tonight, have an original PRC-10 radio...slightly post WWII, and a copy of a BC-611 Handi-talkie that actually works on 8 channels of the FRS frequency (the little family two way radios you can get at Wal-Mart) Got my tires and tubes ready to be mounted...we should be rolling on Tuesday. Still working on the pedestal and door mounts and waiting on Thompson scabbard, data plates, etc.

Wife helping out making tactical covers for the license plates.

DSCN2602.JPG

Burlap for cmo nets after dyeing

DSCN2603.JPG

Final paint

DSCN2604.JPG

DSCN2605.JPG

DSCN2606.JPG

Repro cartridge box

DSCN2608.JPG

Plastic m1919 on bottom, real 1919 on top

DSCN2609.JPG

Handi-Talki that works on FRS frequency

DSCN2610.JPG

DSCN2611.JPG

PRC-10

DSCN2612.JPG

Shooting the final top coat today...stencils tomorrow. Also working on all the little extras. Cerakoted a plastic m1919 for no-hassle cruising in public. Have a nice copy of an original ammo box, dyeing the burlap to make the WWII camo net tonight, have an original PRC-10 radio...slightly post WWII, and a copy of a BC-611 Handi-talkie that actually works on 8 channels of the FRS frequency (the little family two way radios you can get at Wal-Mart) Got my tires and tubes ready to be mounted...we should be rolling on Tuesday. Still working on the pedestal and door mounts and waiting on Thompson scabbard, data plates, etc.

Wife helping out making tactical covers for the license plates.

View attachment 7207032

Burlap for cmo nets after dyeing

View attachment 7207033

Final paint

View attachment 7207034

View attachment 7207035

View attachment 7207036

Repro cartridge box

View attachment 7207037

Plastic m1919 on bottom, real 1919 on top

View attachment 7207038

Handi-Talki that works on FRS frequency

View attachment 7207039

View attachment 7207040

PRC-10

View attachment 7207041

I sure hope that bin says Buttplates...

Because from this angle, I am sure reading something else!

Great progress, buddy! Absolutely amazing!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Moving right along. Tires mounted. having a hell of a time getting the spare mounted to where it doesn't obscure the tail light. Finally just ground the lug screws off the mount. I'm going to drill three new holes and mount with 1/2 inch screws to get the proper location. Did the stencilling today, Was going to install the footmen to secure the prc-10 radio but that will have to wait till tomorrow.

Weaving burlap into a fishnet to create a WWII camo net
    DSCN2624.JPG

DSCN2625 - Copy.JPG

DSCN2629.JPG
    DSCN2630.JPG

DSCN2629.JPG
    DSCN2630.JPG

DSCN2632.JPG

DSCN2633.JPG

DSCN2626.JPG

DSCN2627.JPG

Finally got the spare tire mounted...all I had to do was a lot of drilling, grinding, welding, body work, etc. Hardest part of this whole project. Mounted tow rope, ax, radio footmen, positioning some .30 original WWII 1919 ammo cans, and securing .30 ammo box to front.

DSCN2634.JPG

DSCN2635.JPG

DSCN2637.JPG

DSCN2640.JPG

DSCN2636.JPG

DSCN2638.JPG

DSCN2639.JPG

Last edited:
    You know what I took away from this thread.....

Way more appreciation for the skills, abilities and brains of SF dudes............

and its about a Jeep.

Just watched BoB two days ago. I had to google cast when I saw that scene to make sure it was him...never noticed before.

Moving right along. Tires mounted. having a hell of a time getting the spare mounted to where it doesn't obscure the tail light. Finally just ground the lug screws off the mount. I'm going to drill three new holes and mount with 1/2 inch screws to get the proper location. Did the stencilling today, Was going to install the footmen to secure the prc-10 radio but that will have to wait till tomorrow.

Weaving burlap into a fishnet to create a WWII camo net
    View attachment 7208302

View attachment 7208303

View attachment 7208306View attachment 7208307

View attachment 7208306View attachment 7208307

View attachment 7208308

View attachment 7208309
    View attachment 7208304

View attachment 7208305
    BEAUTIFUL!!!!!??

Very nice. I got to drive Jeeps before the switch to Hmmwv, and I'm pretty sure some were WWII vintage. ;)

Reactions: cornhusker86
    Very nice. I got to drive Jeeps before the switch to Hmmwv, and I'm pretty sure some were WWII vintage. ;)

Man if you were still running WWII Jeeps in the early 80s those were some long in the tooth beat machines.

Just as I was entering USMC they were phasing in HMMWVs.

In the motor pool though we had to go down and PM the "jeeps" I think they were M151s - very angular in appearance - distinctly different from WWII M38s

Reactions: Ravenworks
    Man if you were still running WWII Jeeps in the early 80s those were some long in the tooth beat machines.

Just as I was entering USMC they were phasing in HMMWVs.

In the motor pool though we had to go down and PM the "jeeps" I think they were M151s - very angular in appearance - distinctly different from WWII M38s

No, I was just being facetious. They were so worn out though I'm sure they had been around in the 70s. That was an interesting time... Hmmwv, Kevlar helmets, Berettas, Bradley's, Abrams, MREs were all coming on the scene.

In my time I drove M151A1s when the need arose. They were my first introduction to Jeeps. I enjoyed them.
    Actually I enjoyed all the mil vehicles I drove. Except the Dodge pickups. Didn't car for those.

Currently I have an M715. It's a fun thing to have around.

No, I was just being facetious. They were so worn out though I'm sure they had been around in the 70s. That was an interesting time... Hmmwv, Kevlar helmets, Berettas, Bradley's, Abrams, MREs were all coming on the scene.

Ditto....I was 1986-1991

M60 was still the MBT for USMC.

We used steel pots at Infantry Training School.

This thread needs sound!

Nothing sweeter than the sound of those little jeep motors winding out and leaving a trail of dust behind.

Reactions: sandwarrior
    Man, what a great follow along and read. Great looking jeep. You completed a jeep clone in 14 days. Are you interested in doing another?
    I can have one to Llano by mid week and hope to be driving it in the Ft Worth Stock Show Parade. mid January.:LOL:

Man, what a great follow along and read. Great looking jeep. You completed a jeep clone in 14 days. Are you interested in doing another?
    I can have one to Llano by mid week and hope to be driving it in the Ft Worth Stock Show Parade. mid January.:LOL:

And so it begins.....

Buffalowinter Jeep Restorations - "de Libre, de Jeepay"

Last edited:
    I have two sets of weapons for the jeep. Real ones and dummy guns. Can you tell which is real and which is dummy?

Thompson M1
    DSCN2676.JPG

Browning 1918 BAR
    DSCN2682.JPG

Browning 1919 .30 machine gun
    DSCN2679.JPG

The real Thompson is on the right. The left is a non-firing dummy, although it does have an original Thompson stock and magazine.

The top BAR is a 1918 Colt. The bottom is a copy I made in .22 LR.

And, pretty obviously, the top is a real 1919 and the bottom is a resin replica.

Thompson scabbard and a vintage hand cranked siren mounted. Patton had a siren, I should too.

View attachment 7221095

View attachment 7221096
    Patton also had a nickel plated SAA with ivories... betting you do too!!!

Never Mother of Pearl... that is for pimps! According to Patton!

And Patton always drove to the front in an open vehicle... his men always saw him moving forward. He always returned from the front in a closed vehicle with no markings or a plane. He never let his men seeing him going away from the action.

Exceptions no doubt occurred. But he was all about making sure his men saw him advancing!

Sirhr

Of course no one in the 101st ever wanted anything to do with Patton... who tried to claim he rescued the 101st. So on second thought... Maybe the Patton pistols are a bad idea...

Last edited:
    With its trailer which, alas, died a horrible death last spring during a windstorm when a massive maple tree fell on it and squished it into a pancake. I loved that trailer ;-)

View attachment 7204387

Nice. You have all the best toys and I wish like hell you were my neighbor.

Count me in, I need a gun truck too. It's the natural evolution once you get the M2HB...

Here's what I'd like to mount but I don't wanna turn my pickup into a technical.

IMG_1020.JPG