• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vintage sniper scope questions

LSandBinc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2004
Westmoreland County, Pa.
In the competition rule book under legal rifles and scopes (table 1). It states non issue scopes; Lyman Alaskan and Weaver K2.5. My question are these scopes legal to use for the matches? Also where can I get bases and rings?

Thank you for the help

Re: Vinage sniper scope questions

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARShuter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the competition rule book under legal rifles and scopes (table 1). It states non issue scopes; Lyman Alaskan and Weaver K2.5. My question are these scopes legal to use for the matches? Also where can I get bases and rings?

Thank you for the help
</div></div>

Correct...specific "non-issue" scopes are legal for competition, but ONLY for the specific rifles for which they are listed. See Rule 6.4.3 (6) re: sights/optics below:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CMP Rule Book...emphasis added</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(6) Sights must be original issue optical sights with as-issued reticles or sights may be commercial replicas of as-issued optical sights. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">In addition, specific non-issue scopes that are listed in Table I may be used. Such non-issue scopes may only be used on the rifles for which they are specifically listed. Replica or non-issue sights may have only crosshair, post or post with crosshair reticles. Scope mounts and rings may be original or reproduction replicas.</span></span> Scope rings may be sleeved or modified to accept a non-original scope diameter.</div></div>

As for bases/rings...what specific rifle do you specifically need original or replica/reproduction base/rings? (I'm assuming its for a 1903A4 or a No.4 Mark 1 (T), but it makes a difference obviously).
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drunkhumpinmonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what's a "vinage" sniper scope? </div></div>

It's a vintage scope minus the spell check.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARShuter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oops sorry I thought you could read my mind. Rings and bases are for 1903A4 </div></div>

Gibbs is making reproductions that are sold through Old Western Scrounger (base and rings). At one point in time, outfits like Numrich, Sarco and others also carried reproduction bases/rings. Additionally, Redfield still makes them for the 1903A3/A4 (check with Brownells, MidwayUSA, etc.). If you want original, then keep a watchful eye on the CMP forums as they come up for sale occassionally (same for GunBroker, etc. but just be careful what you are buying from the auction sites as I have seen some highly questionable crap being pawned off as "original" when nothing could be further from the truth). Just make sure that whatever you buy that you get the correct rings to match up with the scope you have. Rings will be 3/4", 7/8" or 1" rings. You may have to settle for 1" rings and ring reducers (which are permitted under the rules...again, it depends on which scope you ultimately select).