• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vintage Spotter Scope

Charger442

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 2, 2010
    South Texas
    So, i bought this guy. Been looking for one for years, passed on a few and this just happened to come up and i snagged it. Would LOVE to have the 24x piece, but it only has the 32x piece, which i think is rare. I missed a 100mm Team a few years ago, but I am happy grabbing this. will be much more handy.

pix211084622.jpg

my question is, any suggestions for a case? soft or hard case? its 19" total, which seems to be longer than most modern spotters and their soft cases that are for sale. maybe i need to get one custom made?

and maybe ill ask also, anyone have a spare 24x eye piece that needs a new home? ill tag the usual suspects @RTH1800 and @sirhrmechanic.

The eye piece is a long shot but im sure you guys can throw out suggestions for a functional case.

THanks!

Last edited:
    A few years back I sold two 100mm team scopes. One the same grey like the one you pictured and a USMC one that was green. Both cased with a tripod and full compliment of eyepieces.
    I would go soft case on yours.

Reactions: Charger442
    The originals had them in a fiberglass tube inside a canvas cover. They were noisy in the field. So mostly got carried in a ruck or wrapped in a cloth or a t-shirt.

The original cases are as valuable as the scopes! You are probably better off with something more up-to-date as the original cases often have canvas that is getting 'tender.'

No extra eyepieces, sorry. I'd like to find a 100x team spotter myself! I did score a neat Unertl not long ago at a gun show. Turned out to be exact IDF issue piece that goes perfectly with my IDF Mauser rifle. Nice to get lucky sometimes!

Great find! I like to say that they are the finest glass that your grandfather's tax dollars could buy. There are now high dollar units out there that are better. But these old Korean/VN era scopes are better than most of the stuff out there to this day! Bausch and Lomb knew their stuff when it came to glass grinding. If they knew more about coatings back then, they'd be 21st Century spotters for sure.

That clamp is nice, too! Most of the 'strap' styles are decent. But that looks like a nice machined setup.

Cheers,

Sirhr

The originals had them in a fiberglass tube inside a canvas cover. They were noisy in the field. So mostly got carried in a ruck or wrapped in a cloth or a t-shirt.

The original cases are as valuable as the scopes! You are probably better off with something more up-to-date as the original cases often have canvas that is getting 'tender.'

No extra eyepieces, sorry. I'd like to find a 100x team spotter myself! I did score a neat Unertl not long ago at a gun show. Turned out to be exact IDF issue piece that goes perfectly with my IDF Mauser rifle. Nice to get lucky sometimes!

Great find! I like to say that they are the finest glass that your grandfather's tax dollars could buy. There are now high dollar units out there that are better. But these old Korean/VN era scopes are better than most of the stuff out there to this day! Bausch and Lomb knew their stuff when it came to glass grinding. If they knew more about coatings back then, they'd be 21st Century spotters for sure.

That clamp is nice, too! Most of the 'strap' styles are decent. But that looks like a nice machined setup.

Cheers,

Sirhr

It's a bushnell tripod and the clamp is nice. Definitely beats the leather strap.

You are correct on the old cases, I definitely don't want one to use. But the value is high as a collector peice. I just wanted to use this fine scope to see little holes far away.

I think there are some modern options that will get close. Need to be creative with them. For a production version, I like this.

Tripod case might work too

Going with the creedmoor carrying case. I'll sleeve the scope and breakdown the tripod so they don't rub. Should work out well. I'll get a picture of the setup when the bag gets in

Reactions: RTH1800
    Going with the creedmoor carrying case. I'll sleeve the scope and breakdown the tripod so they don't rub. Should work out well. I'll get a picture of the setup when the bag gets in
    good choice, my 45 degree fits in one just fine,

not sure when mine was made, but it is as clear as the KOWA I picked up recently,

re the team scopes, they are out there, we bought a few and sold them quickly in the past 4 yrs or so,

Reactions: Charger442
    It's a bushnell tripod and the clamp is nice. Definitely beats the leather strap.

You are correct on the old cases, I definitely don't want one to use. But the value is high as a collector peice. I just wanted to use this fine scope to see little holes far away.

I think there are some modern options that will get close. Need to be creative with them. For a production version, I like this.

Tripod case might work too
    I use a Freeland bipod with enough rods to shoot offhand,
    and have the weight for the bottom ,

my scope gets taken off and the cover zipped up,

my bipod and rods broken down and they fill perfectly in a M60 barrel bag,

the pockets on the bag will hold a stapler, some tape, a box of black and tan pasters, and a few mags or a box of ammo,